Guest viewing is limited

THR So it begins...

I'm very proud of you @313Lola for reporting the incident. In our area all dogs must always be leashed or in a fenced yard. What's done is done and hopefully that dog won't hurt anyone else. Can you imagine a little child getting attacked? I understand you being so upset and crying. Take care and take those antibiotics as instructed. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@313Lola glad of the antibiotics! It's never good for an animal to bite-- I'm just glad that my vet understands why my fat one bites! (he bit me a really good one a couple of weeks pre-hip, and it got nasty infected immediately, before I even got home! He was at the vet, got a shot and twisted his arthritic hips so bad he lashed out at the nearest hand.....mine....this is Mr Sweetums, the laid-back lovey one!)
 
Calling to report the incident was definitely the right thing to do. They shouldn't be letting the dogs run loose like that in the first place. Unfortunately you can't buy the pepper spray in NY state as far as I know but maybe you can buy a small container when you get back home just to keep handy when you walk somewhere. It probably won't happen again but better safe than sorry. I'm glad you've moved on and are able to enjoy your vacation. I don't think you are all that far from me really. I am about an hour north of Syracuse, not far from Lake Ontario but you must be about an hour east of me around Cranberry Lake or maybe south of there near Lowville somewhere. Weather has been cool for this time of year and it looks like a good chance of rain over the weekend. Hopefully you brought a good book along. Enjoy the rest of your time there.
 
I hope you're feeling better today @313Lola. Can't tell you how many times I've thought of you since yesterday and the fear you must have felt. Praying for no infection and that you can put this behind you and enjoy the rest of your vacation.
Hugs!
 
Agree, @Layla , at how frightening it must have been. Not only the bite but the worry about falling! Luckily you have a very supportive family there with you, Lola, to help you put this behind you and move on. This vacation on the whole should be good recovery medicine with the fresh air and exercise. Enjoy it all! They seem to have changed the forecast and it looks like a much smaller chance of rain this weekend so that is good.
 
@Jaycey @Layla @cpollock @GrannyC @Mojo333 @zauberflöte THANK YOU for the kind words of encouragement, prayers and support. Folks like you are what make these boards a lifesaver through recovery. Warms my heart to read your messages... much appreciated.

I am doing well. The bite are looks pretty awful... bruising purple now. I imagine it'll go through to green and yellow before it's done. But, it's not looking like any kind of infection is there which is the main concern. I'm taking the antibiotics and the family is keeping an eye on it.

Hubby, son and I went for a walk yesterday... I was glad for the company. I doubt anything like this will happen again, but pepper spray, or bear spray sounds like a smart idea GrannyC. There are lots of trails, which we generally ride mtn bikes on, it's probably wise to keep it in my bike bag in the future. We aren't too far from you... we sometimes venture to Lowville. Hubs is in Boonville as I write this. There's a nice wood stove store there.

It was supposed to rain overnight and didn't. Looks like scattered showers/thunder boomies today. But it really doesn't matter. When I look out the upstairs window I see nothing but trees and green... soothing for the soul. Recovery-wise the best part of being here is how it's changed my mindset. I guess I started to associate home with recovery. I'm not overdoing it, but I am more active than at home- so many good distractions. I can feel my range of motion improving and the internal swelling- the tightness around the back side scar area is less warm, less tight.

Wishing everyone a terrific weekend, rain or sun. Hoping you have quality time with family or friends, some good morsels to eat... maybe a few adult beverages... and continued healing! HUGS.
 
@313Lola glad to hear you "got back on that horse" and with a scouting party yet! My mom lives outside of Albany, so I am imagining your weather-- this time of year can be soooo gorgeous!

I am so with you on the trees and green aiding in healing-- this house we are in now is deep in a very foresty subdivision, and we have an actual mini-woods in our back yard. Any window you look out, it's trees trees trees, and also birds (a designated bird sanctuary, how about that!) , and I think to myself, cities are just not good for the soul! Some people are exactly the opposite, and I'm glad for them, because that means more trees for me! I think green is the calmest color there is.

it is a rainy sleep Saturday morning, but if I don't get my Kroger Clicklist organized an hour ago, we won't have any food!!!! Somewhere I mentioned that it's possible to procrastinate from anything while playing here...
 
How are you doing? @313Lola
I hope you're still enjoying that beautiful mountain vaycay and that your leg is healing up from that horrible experience you suffered. It's been hard to check on anyone the last few days with the update but it's looking like we're back in biz.
I hope your weekend is a good one!
 
@313Lola - i just picked up on your thread and am happy to read that a change of scenery has helped your mindset and thus your recovery. Keep thinking positively and listening to your body. It is a really good barometer. Speaking of barometers we are having a thunder and lightning storm here at the moment. I went out for a haircut and couple short errands and my daughter and I made it in the house in the nick of time.

Now on to some icing and lunch.

Have a great weekend.
 
@313Lola it's not your internet, it was the forum here, but it sure looks like things are back to normal now. Let us know how you are doing! I don't want for your vacation to end....I am vicariously with you....
 
Hi @313Lola
Thought about you yesterday on our 8 week post op date. Its so great to have this behind us!
I hope your vacation ended on a pleasant note and that you've fully recovered from that traumatic dog incident.
Wishing you a great rest of the week!
 
@Layla! Thanks for the note. Sorry I've been MIA from the boards lately. Yesterday was my first day back to teaching. I planned for a 1/2 day, but it didn't work out. According to my new fitbit (thought that now I can walk it would be good to track activity)... I walked 3.5 miles and over 8700 steps yesterday. I put in a 10-hour day from when I left to when I got home. I was pooped!

BUT- good news. Not swollen today. Slept like the dead- exhaustion will do that I guess:sleep:
Took my tylenol and a couple other meds (I haven't gone off them since I knew work would be a major effort) this morning and I'm feeling pretty darn good. Amen to that!

How are you 8 wks post-op? On the one hand the surgery seems like a lifetime ago, and on the other I can't believe it's only been 8 weeks. Are you happy with your progress? Feeling well? I am hoping you are doing better than expected, or at least seeing progress, even if it's slow.

I haven't had time to read the threads anywhere yet. Saw you ref'd me most recently so I started with this notification... so if I missed some important news about you, sorry.

Take care surgery date buddy. I wish you a wonderful rest of the week.
 
@313Lola so good to hear from you again-- all refreshed from family fun time, with the taste of burnt marshies still lingering in your mind (and mine, I admit...)...and back to work and No Swelling!!! I am in awe! :)
 
So glad to hear you are doing well @313Lola.
Hope you attribute some of that to bring easy on yourself.
I've been doing little much but can't seem took find a way not to. Best laid plans....
Nature heals me too. Keep doing well so you can be another success story!!!!
 
Hi @313Lola
You sound great! So nice to hear from you. I wanted to know you were doing well after that scary experience with the dog while on vacay.

I figured you were probably back teaching. A ten hour day involving 8700 steps sounds amazing....good for you! I have a Fitbit too but I've yet to fire it up, I need to get on it. I've been doing well but feel I need to bump it up a bit....push myself to the next level. I realize it's still early days for us though and I don't want to jeopardize recovery in any way.

I hope your week finishes out as it's started. You sound happy, content and energized.
Wishing you a peaceful evening and a great weekend!
 
@313Lola It is so good to see you again and to read such an amazing report. You are doing great! Isn't it fantastic to be able to walk into work and walk during the day without the agony of that OA pain? Amazing is all I can think of!
 
@GrannyC amazing is the word! Hope you are doing well!

@zauberflöte gonna try to squeeze a trip to the lake around our anniversary. Need a couple more smores before the schedules get too busy.

Taught again yesterday... shorter day, thankfully. Still logged 8000 steps and about 3 miles. Really didn't think it was possible to feel so well, so quickly. I was tired when I got home... thought, I'll just lay down for a sec... yeah, right?! I took a 20-30 minute power nap. My family has joked for years... I need to get a "real job." Well I'll tell you- teaching is like performance art. You are "on" from the minute you walk in until the last student is gone and you are back in your office. Time flies. I forget about everything else. It's the absolute best therapy.

I think that's key to "bumping it up @Layla. Find a place where you WANT to walk... a park, an indoor or outdoor mall, a library, a specialty store... go there when you can... Start small... and build up. Somehow the walking is easier when the surroundings are distracting/pleasant/fun. Walking at the lake, despite the dog, was a good start. And somehow from that, I've jumped to being able to do so much more... more than I imagined.

@Mojo333 you were SO RIGHT about resting in the early days. I am convinced that wise advice helped me heal enough to get back to teaching without a setback. I rested between and today I've been mostly sitting, except when the fitbit reminds me to get moving. I give thanks that I can, for the first time in my whole life, own a device like a fitbit. Could never walk for exercise before... was so envious of folks who would walk during lunch breaks. Just couldn't do it- even in my 20s... walking was something I HAD to do as part of life, not something fun. Til the day I die, I'm gonna give thanks for this big change. SO VERY GRATEFUL.

I give thanks every time I get in the car and lift my left leg into the seat without no pain. No lifting with my hands. Trivial for most, but significant miracle for me!

The leg still FEELS weird. Like I'm off kilter. To stand with legs together is awkward- op leg is flexed tight. But hubs says I look even so I guess it's that weird disconnect between what the body is and what the brain thinks it is. Dr warned me it would feel weird for a while... like 6-9 months. So far, everything he says has been spot on, so I believe him. Next appt is 9/7.

Want to ask about getting on my bike... @dougie0216 are you biking now? I haven't read your thread lately (no time!) but I remember you were counting the days. Your progress was so inspirational to me... I guess I have hit my stride.

Virtual hugs to all of you... my wonderful online friends. Have a terrific weekend.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom