THR So it begins...

Great suggestion @Layla ... will consider electric razor too. I have completely reconsidered the pedi. Will call to cancel the appt. Better safe than sorry.... thanks for the gentle, caring advice. MUCH appreciated @Layla and @Donnarita .
 
@Layla....the razor attached to the stock worked like a charm!!!! @313Lola...you can always check with your surgeons office...I notice on here there are so many different surgeons opinions and we all have same surgery..but to be honest..I am waiting even more than the 3 months...it's just not worth the risk ..
 
I removed my acrylics before surgery knowing I will not be going to salon for over 3 month period they wound have worn off anyways..and I didn't want any cuticle cuts or infection...I am doing my own little polish and filing at home for now...not worried about nails for sure!!! The toes I will get my daughter or friend to polish!
 
Hi @Donnarita,
I guess I agree. I'm not liking it, but if I got an infection this early on, after the warning, I'd be so mad at myself!
Hands (manicure) are not a problem, nor is my good leg, it's the surgical leg that's the problem. I did one leg and foot and the other one reminds me of that Sesame Street song:

"One of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong, can you guess what thing is not like the other by the time I finish this song!"

That just dated me, now it will be the ear worm for the day. Anyone who has kids of a certain age that watched the show probably remembers that one!!

Have a good one!
 
Hello all you brave ladies
So good to read about your experiences ,it gives me a lot of hope. My surgery is a little away still .I see the
specialist early Sept ,then I hope we can go for surgery very soon .
Right now my pain is tolerable and maybe tomorrow where I can barely get out of bed .It will be nice to be beyond it.
All the best to you all wishing you happy healing .
Margo
 
@margo The waiting is hard... sounds to me like you have a really high pain threshold... if it's hard to get out of bed, that sounds like a lot more than tolerable pain. I hope the Dr visit in Sept will be helpful. I waited a long time to commit to surgery- mostly out of fear. Many here have similar experiences, and most regret waiting...

I put myself in that camp. At 4 wks post-op today, I cannot believe how well I am healing and how the pain is GONE. There's tightness, and my stamina is limited, it is a long process to recovery, but overall- this surgery will give me back my life.

Prepare yourself and your home for post op while you wait. Gel ice packs are a godsend. I wore men's boxers to avoid panties- much more comfy. Scour the boards here for advice, ask questions... unload your worries and fears... folks on BS are a wonderful, caring bunch. Lots of folks will respond to the pre- and post-op threads with helpful advice and encouragement.

Wishing you all the best.. as you wait, and once you reach the other side.
 
4 week anniversary!

Yesterday was a big activity day for me. Got in the car and picked up scrip at pharmacy. Then headed to a new coffee shop I've been dying to visit. Got iced coffee and a scone. Sat down, chatted a bit on the phone with my sis, and then knitted for a while. It felt soooo good to do something normal. Lovely change of scenery.

Got home after about 90 minutes... rested, elevated, iced for the next couple of hours.

Then, made dinner (with some help getting cast iron pan on the stove, accessing hard to reach ingredients, tools)... but overall, I made a wonderful dinner: Mustard crusted salmon with a honey-balsamic glaze; fresh zucchini saute'd with smoked pepperoni bits and garlic; orzo with goat cheese, bacon and pine nuts. I left the cleanup to the family, and wasn't able to sit at the table for as long as I would have liked... but overall, it was a wonderful day of moderate activity. The most I've done yet.

The plan for the week is M-W-F short drive trips and activities... T-TH days of rest. Thus, I'm writing from my granny chair... icing, elevating, resting. No significant post-activity issues (I was worried what today would bring)... a bit still in the morning, but not more than any other... YAY!

Well... I have work to do... enough procrastinating on BoneSmart.:egypdance:
 
Hi @313Lola If you are worrying about your toes, it sounds to me like your recovery is going well! I think we are all members of the ODIC.
 
Yes it is @dougie0216 ... but I did join the ODIC. Yesterday was a recovery day... going to try to be active today but fall short of rejoining the club.
 
Yesterday wasn't much fun... too much activity Monday meant rest and discomfort Tuesday.

Today's outing- DSW for shoes! Had an online coupon- yay! Found it a bit tricky to maintain precautions while getting boxes of shoes, trying them on and putting back the duds... But I managed. I now have shoes for when I go back to work.

I wanted to do more while I was out, but since Monday was an over-do-it day... I decided to head home.

Resting, elevating, icing... and feeling satisfied!
 
@313Lola
DSW.......You beat me there!
I'm still going on your Tom's recommendation, with hopes I won't trip my klutzy
self....and as Mojo333 always says (and almost did herself) fall down and go BOOM!
Hope you have a relaxing evening!
 
Good job Lola. We all know if we want these new hips to heal properly and last for decades we can give ourselves months of taking it easy.
One thing about getting back to work, or normal life, is that it is hard to go back and take it easier.
I try not to do squat after I get off at 4.
Been part of the club and it really isn't fair to do that to myself considering what got me to this place.
Show them how you do it Lola and Layla
 
Slept OK last night and don't feel overly sore this morning! Tempting to go out for a drive again today, but I won't. Tomorrow is breakfast with girlfriends I only see a couple times a year... then another friend is bringing me lunch and may even spend the night. Definitely need to save up my energy.
 
Word of the Day: Sisu

Loosely translated, sisu is a Finnish word representing a combination of determination, patience and hardiness.

I read an article about offbeat Finnish sports (swamp soccer, wife carrying, mosquito catching are a few examples) in the New York Times online this morning. They mentioned sisu and I immediately thought, bonesmarties must all embrace sisu!

Have a great day!
 
Cute! @313Lola
May we all be blessed with abundant sisu today!
So this is funny.....when I just typed in sisu for the first time, above, AC corrected it to ISSUES! Lol!
Glad I caught that!
A great day to all.......
 
End of the 5th week... sometimes it's hard to accept that recovery is measured for most in MONTHS, not weeks. I am wishing and wanting to do so much more now, and I just can't. SIGH.

I'm gonna focus on the good things...
*able to sit in a chair more often and for longer times
*able to cook (one of my favorite hobbies) more often
*regained my interest in knitting...brain fog and lagging motivation has lifted
*able to drive, run short errands

Walking distances is hard. Leg is just so darn tight. But as I've read here... it's still early days.

Hoping everyone is having a great Monday.
 
You are doing great @313Lola today is the first official day I can drive. 6 weeks for me. I'm thinking of a short trip to the library which is 5 minutes away. I still limp if I don't use an aid but feel my leg is a little stronger each day. Are you limping at All? I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@cpollock Hi Cheryl... I do limp, unless I really concentrate. In the morning, i can walk for a while without a limp, but it takes a lot of effort. As the day wears on, the harder ity is and the more i rely in the cane.

When i stand, i am able to bring my feet closer together, but still inches apart, unless i bend my knee.

So... The LLD is there, but slowly improving. Gonna be quite a while until that resolves i think. I walk with cane most of the time... Exceptions are morning get ready routine in bathroom... Gets in the way... And in the kitchen for the same reason. If i go anywhere, it's definitely with the cane... For my needs and to let others know i am unstable on my feet.

Congrats on driving again! So wonderful. Enjoy the library and other little trips you start making![emoji593][emoji594][emoji613][emoji469]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cpollock Hi Cheryl... I do limp, unless I really concentrate. In the morning, i can walk for a while without a limp, but it takes a lot of effort. As the day wears on, the harder ity is and the more i rely in the cane.

When i stand, i am able to bring my feet closer together, but still inches apart, unless i bend my knee.

So... The LLD is there, but slowly improving. Gonna be quite a while until that resolves i think. I walk with cane most of the time... Exceptions are morning get ready routine in bathroom... Gets in the way... And in the kitchen for the same reason. If i go anywhere, it's definitely with the cane... For my needs and to let others know i am unstable on my feet.

Congrats on driving again! So wonderful. Enjoy the library and other little trips you start making![emoji593][emoji594][emoji613][emoji469]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
@313Lola.. Thanks for the word... I am going to make sign with definition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Lola...it sounds like you are doing things the right way. Yes, months. Little discouraged myself that I still have some issues but they will and go get better and at least now I feel like I can truly rest as opposed to all that OA hip pain.
Tomorrow is gonna be a good day!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom