THR So it begins...

I remember how much of a job it was too get my first showers. My hubby hovered the whole time too.
(He said that's the part he missed most now that I can do all my own... What a dork)
Being vulnerable makes you fragile and teary... Not to mention the meds, anxiety,... Feeling like you are so needy.
All temporary!!!!
My recliner was my bed most of the time...I ate their alot too.. Because my behind and gluts get so sore sitting in regular chairs still!!
I'm usually not a very needy person so try to not feel unworthy of babying. Its only for a little while and you need that TLC
 
My first week I promised I'd stay on the upper floor of the house where the master bedroom and front room is.
Tomorrow will be starting week 3 and I'm off like a hurd of Turtles
 
@SoCalMom we made similar setup... Only difference is showers are upstairs. Everything else i can do on first floor. Perfect!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@313Lola that's so big step, the first shower. I have a tub shower and we borrowed a bench shower seat. So I sit on that and scoot back and my husband Gary slides my legs up and over the tub edge. I have a hand held shower and can do all my business sitting though Gary helps wash my hair. Then I stand and do a really good rinse and get out the same way I got in. I do this every 2 days now and sponge bath in between.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
For my first hip, I had to use a tiny bath. We were renting. The shower was in a tub, and I can remember the challenge of doing that for the first couple of weeks. We borrowed a transfer chair from another hippy. I got water all over that bathroom. I was 6" taller than the shower curtain which we couldn't close all the way because of the bench.

When we built our new house and moved in it was only six-months post LTHR.
Since we already knew I would be having my other hip replaced, we put in an open style shower. Four people could use it comfortably. You can drive the walker right in.
 
@313Lola So happy you made it all the way upstairs and through the shower process!! Wow, that sounded like a climb up Mt. Everest! Glad to know your hubby was ever vigilant. I took my second shower at home today and my-oh-my, does that feel great. I can also relate to the amazing feeling of celebration upon getting the old bowel movements back on track. Whoo-boy. I felt like I was passing a VW Beetle the first time!

Sounds like you are spending a lot more time out of bed than I am. I'm only out of bed 10 minutes or so at a time so far, and no long chair-sitting yet. I use the freezer gel-packs, too, that someone mentioned - rotating use of two of them. One can be freezing back up while my bottom is melting the other.
 
My granny chair recliner is my new best friend. Spending a lot of time in it... Comfy, sized petite, motorized recline.... Heavenly. Glad things are going well @JennyHipcakes.

I won't be showing every day, shooting for every other with increased independence over time... Feeling good and wanting to keep it that way... Thanks all for sharing your shower tales!

One big issue on my mind today...TED stockings...

I took mine off. Actually, i commanded my daughter peel them off me. They were hurting me! I have no swelling. I mean, none. Both legs look same size. Ice has been my best friend and the lack of swelling is the result. I do sets of 10 ankle pumps throughout the day. Here's my question...

Must i wear them? Can i get by with knee length, during the day only, if i must? The thigh high ones were horrible. Do they really work? I am up every two hours or so, walking to potty... Walking to have meals in regular chair. Not overdoing, but i have good mobility. Have never experienced any circulation problems. In good health overall.

PT says they aren't very effective... Recommended the ankle pumps. Visiting nurse says day wear is usually enough, though we didn't discuss thigh v calf length. She returns tomorrow. OS says wear them 24-7 except during shower for 6 weeks! Seems really excessive to me.

Thoughts???


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Me and my recliner formed a special bond when I was early in my recovery.
I don't care if it made me feel lazy... We needed our rest and so so comfy.
I didn't have any health--heart, blood pressure, etc issues and I took them stockings off 4 days post-op!!!shhhh...
I did ankle pumps... Watched for swelling...
They were too too tight
 
I wore mine for 11 days, evidently I'm better at taking instructions than @Mojo333 . The PA told me that as active as I was I did not need to wear them when I went back for my first checkup. I switched to my calf sleeves at night. I gradually even quit doing that.
I would not be comfortable telling you to take them off. You could call and ask?
 
As for the TED hose, all doctors are different. I didn't have them at all, not even in the hospital. I had the ankle blow up things on in the hospital and told to do the butt clenches, tighten thighs and ankle pumps, in the hospital. When discharged, no restrictions at all and as long as I was up and moving enough, didn't need the butt clenches, thigh and foot exercises. I was told walking was the best therapy. I had no PT at all. I was up and down the stairs daily, starting the day I came home. I used the recliner and was up and down walking, bathroom, puttering around the house. I wasn't doing much but perhaps throw laundry from the washer to the dryer. If laundry was carried out to the couch, I'd fold it. Enough to feel I was doing something and moving, but nothing strenuous. Again, all doctors are different and I'd hate to say to ditch the hose but I would ask about that.
 
Oh I laughed reading these shower stories to my husband! I finally took my first shower on Day Five also. I'd had enough! We have a walk in shower, I took the walker right in for security. My hubby hovered also but I wanted him to. Obviously I had reservations about the entire process or I wouldn't have waited five days. I told my husband to throw the wash cloth in the trash afterward......we laughed!

I managed blow drying my hair from my recliner. Intended to apply a little make up but pooped out. I look in the mirror each morning and let out a little shriek! I long to feel and look like myself again. I realize it will come.

I've read so many different versions of the use of the compression socks. In my case my surgeon advised TED stockings on for 20 hours, then off for 4 hours. I was instructed to wear the dvt inflatable cuffs anytime I'm sitting, lying or sleeping. This is to continue for 3 weeks until my first visit to the doctor. I'm taking aspirin 2x daily.
I have no history of blood clots nor any health issues. This part is a bit hard because it makes me feel very dependent on others. I try to get up and walk around every hour or so. I'm trying not to lean so heavily on my walker. My husband catches and coaches me as he's deciphered the sounds of more pressure vs. less pressure as I walk......BUSTED!

Tomorrow is one week post op.....yay! I want to step up my game, nothing foolish, don't want Josephine after me! I just want to walk a little more than the first week and apply some lipstick......it'll make the world feel brighter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Layla Oh my, shower stories. I thought I was going nuts skipping one day without a shower. I was able to shower 48 hours post op and could not wait. I had no problems in the shower. We do have an en suite bathroom, so hubby stayed in our bedroom. He was there to get me in and out...a stand alone. My issue was that I get into the shower with my non operated leg. Sounds simple, right? Well, I lost range of motion in my right leg from the bad hip and limping etc. My hip was "destroyed" per the OS, but could not believe the opposite leg would be a problem. You would thinkI was being murdered trying to get that leg in...a stand alone shower and only need to lift my foot a little bit. I was better getting out with my operated leg, for the most part. The first week or 2 wasn't great but it was better than my non operated leg. As my pelvis and such were shifting back in place after surgery, the range in motion started returning in my non operated leg.

I had no problems once in the shower and found it so much better than pre-op since I couldn't stand on that leg. However, I have had a broken and disclocated shoulder. Showering with that was where I needed assistance as my arm had to be held tight against my body, or risk dislocating again. Also, my fractured wrist wasn't as easy, but not as bad as the shoulder.
 
Hi @Nivea, I was like you. I was in hospital for three nights - I can't recall exactly, but I think I had the ankle things for one night. The TED hose was never discussed and I went home with no restrictions at all, other than if anything hurt, then stop doing it

I have forgotten now what my surgeon actually said about driving, but I decided to wait until my six week check anyway, in case my insurance was invalidated. I am pleased that I did, because my insurance company specifically asked whether he had cleared me

Best wishes
Peter
 
One week post op....

Yesterday PT... Well, those PT folks do know how to push us, don't they?!

My case is special in that the socket wasn't just replaced it was moved. I have significant, and i do mean big time, leg length diff right now.

The OS warned me... Told me not to panic, and when i focus on that, i am ok. But PT wasn't reassuring. And i pushed back to not over do... With some success. Was tight last night, but no pain.

I am managing my recovery, my way. Walking more today. Doing some of the exercises, as i am able.

Trying to keep a long run focus... Slow and steady will win the race.

Hubs had been a huge emotional support, walking through the tightness stresses me out more than it hurts me physically. Then the postop blues kick in and i burst into tears.

Mantras for the foreseeable future... I am stronger than i think. Trust the system. Be patient.

Positive news... Bandage was removed by nurse. Stapling looks good. 12cm incision.... Healing well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Mini Milestone

Hubs works from home. Has been in mtgs all morning. PT arriving early afternoon so i needed to eat lunch on time.

Walked to kitchen. Got easy to access stuff from fridge. Used the island and the carrier bag on my walker to transfer stuff... Voila!. I got lunch for myself!

Did a few exercises afterward, now back in my beloved granny chair to rest. It's only Day 8, but i think i may be ready to ditch the walker... Guess we'll see what PT thinks.

Waiting for response from Dr.... Would love to sleep on my side. I think my headache are related to neck issues and sleeping on my back. Fingers crossed....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Lola,
If I may ask....What gives one the feeling that one could maybe ditch the walker? It gives me security and I sometimes need to remind myself to not physically "lean" on it so heavily. Trying to use fingertips in a sense. Are there any methods / tips that others have used as training to ween themselves off the walker?
 
@Layla....

I'm no expert, but i think it has a lot to do with balance and fluid gait.

PT just left. I will continue with walker a while longer... And thinking about it, it's the right call.

I am walking more normally, but not normal, if that make sense.

We will get there, on our individual timeline... Recovery from hip surgery is a lesson in patience, isn't it?!

Hang in there... Sending you good vibes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Two weeks postop

Well... This is getting old really fast. Thank goodness for Wimbledon and Netflix. Have knitted a bit. Done no reading. Should be doing some work on my laptop, but i have no desire to think.
I have transitioned to a cane. Will get staples out in 2 days.

But... The reality of months of recovery is starting to sink in... Two weeks and i am sick of it.... Sigh.




Sent from my iPhone using
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Lola don't give up hope. You will get a little better every day. Yippee for one more week of Wimbledon. And there are tons of shows to binge watch on Netflix. Hopefully you can get outside and walk a bit soon. I actually laid out in the sun today-with scar covered-. I am hoping to get approval to swim starting tomorrow.

PS. I see you live in a Philadelphia. My daughter is moving to Lewisburg, Pa next week for work.
 
I'm with you Lola.....I'm two weeks today also. Boredom and wanting my life back really setting in the past couple days. Getting close to ditching the walker, trying to mainly use the cane. I can walk back and forth across my livingroom without the cane. I hold it......just don't use it. Things just feel awkward. Sometimes there is no pain, other times there is. Do you experience this? I feel like I need to relearn to walk. I had external rotation. My operative leg started to turn outward and its feeling as though old habits die hard. I try to be conscious of my gait and will talk to PT about it at my 3 week checkup next Tuesday. This is my first appt since surgery. I'm hoping I can BURN the TED socks and inflatable cuffs that night, haha!
 
Back
Top Bottom