THR So it begins...

@SoCalMom being outside is wonderful. I have been out on our deck for some meals. We made a short drive to a park on Sunday. Sat on a bench, ate some fruit, watched a few boats, it was lovely. Thanks for the reminder about the small, nice moments on the journey. Lewisburg is a nice area... Near the middle of the state.

My hip was dysplastic at birth... This means my muscles have to learn to walk properly too @Layla. They are stretched TIGHT. My OS warned me it would be scary at first... Leg length is really off... It will take 6-9 months for the pelvis to tilt to proper position and muscles, tendons, ligaments to adjust to new joint in new location. Old habits do die hard.

Sometimes, i am so overwhelmed it make me cry... Trying to trust my Dr... Do my exercises, walk, rest, ice... Every once in a while i have a little pity party.

But then it's time to put my big girl pants on, suck it up, and be patient.

Thanks for the encouragement gals. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Ha! I've had a few myself.......Pity Party For One Please!
Heard a cute phrase out of @gaulsuerou "suck it up buttercup" I've had to say it to myself a couple times, makes me chuckle and snaps me out of it.
A peaceful night to you!

Lola, I wished I lived near you. We could plan a lunch and have a pity party together. It sounds like you have lots of help from your family. I suggest calling them to see if they would go out for lunch. I found if I had at least one thing to look forward to each day that helped me. Oh and wine!

Yikes @Lola sorry to hear there are so many more complications with your hips, I always wondered as all of us must wonder, why this happened to me, and was told that I also had hip dysplasia, and there was a very odd set of Angles making hard to fit for a prosthesis, just something genetic and the way my body was shaped. Funny thing I never knew… That until all of this happened… As far as I know and I'm hoping that my recovery will be normal. Keep chugging along, it is funny you get to know all these people on BoneSmart Forum and it's so sad that we don't live closer because it would be nice to go out and do lunch sometimes

My hip was dysplastic at birth... This means my muscles have to learn to walk properly too @Layla. They are stretched TIGHT.
I had the same issue @313Lola . It does take time to get things back in balance. Please don't get discouraged - this will settle with time.

We have all been there, and the second and third weeks were toughest for me. I hated the walker but Layla was right on about leaning on it ..the fingertip thing worked for me.
I just remember I would have some weird hitch or pain come from no where ... Not often, not consistently... So especially when no one was home it was security against falling. No falling allowed!
Post op depression sets in, boredom, anxiety... All things most of us went through. Hang in there Ladies. We will get there.
Today is gonna be a good day!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @313Lola

We went to Wimbledon yesterday and it rained for a large part of the day - only saw 1 full match and a few games in a couple other matches. Still, the lunch and Pimms were good and it's a great experience in any event!

It will get better, believe me. It's very hard to be patient, but hang on in there and don't try to do too much too early. It simply isn't worth it. You will find lots of support and kindred spirits on here

Best wishes for your recovery
Peter

So many thanks for the encouragement.

@PS46 i am very jealous! Would love to attend Wimbledon some day. Appreciate the wise words of experience.

@Mojo333 you have consistently warned about the honeymoon and subsequent slump... Guess i am not immune. I am careful, a fall would be disaster... Will definitely hang in, appreciate your uplifting message!

@Jaycey.... Very helpful to be reminded that although my case is challenging, i am not the first or only one to go through dysplasia... So helpful to hear you have been there and seen improvement.

@gaulsuerou it would be nice to be able to have bone smartie parties!!!! But even without, this virtual gathering is a godsend, isn't it?

I am trying to listen to my body... Doing enough to move forward, but not doing to much. Cut back today, was hit with serious fatigue. Felt like i had been drugged. Took a good nap and spent the afternoon in my granny chair.

Thanks to all... Wishing you a lovely evening!

Naps, meds, granny chair... All good. Sometimes the best thing we can do is rest. Easy walking, easy stretching. At 10 weeks, I've still got issues. I had bad posture, limping and terrible gait. I know alot of my issues are not surgery related... Years of not being able to stand straight, walk, sleep... It will take time to get that fixed. Now that I can stand straight my groin muscles, gluts, thighs, etc are you tight and sore. Especially after I stop moving. But too much moving causes it to together worse, so it IS a dance. It took us a while to get so out of whack, so at least now we know there is going to be something we can do to get better.
I'm like IrishJoe, at the point I was at... Mostly good will be great. Especially manageable aches and tightness. Hang in there 313Lola

@313Lola yes I also get the serious fatigue, it comes on fast and I can sleep like a rock, then I get so hungry, when I eat I really eat, my body seems to be repairing itself and needs fuel and sleep and it lets me know when !!!!

It's the dreaded Energy Drain and you just can't fight it. You are doing the right thing @313Lola - rest when you need to. This will soon fade. For now :sleep:.

Great News!

Staples removed this morning. Yay!

Even better... OS says i am cleared to drive... He walked with me and basically i walked without any aids... Standing tall... Minor limp which will straighten out over time.

I nearly cried right there... Such joy to see how he has worked a miracle. Looking at the before and after xrays shows how things have been moved and adjusted and somehow my body is starting to adapt.

So grateful. Thrilled. There is a beautiful glowing light at the end of the tunnel. And the tunnel doesn't seem so long or dark any more.

Riding in the car is still painful, and i know recovery will take lots of time. But OS made it very clear... The surgery was successful and i am making good progress.

Thank you Lord!

PTL! Truly happy for you.....especially hearing the joy and spirit of thankfulness in your post!
Sharing the same surgery date as you I'm hoping for some of that good news @ my first post op doctors appt next Tuesday.
Continued healing and a wonderful weekend to you!

@Layla will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Bee sure to post after your appt.... So nice to share this journey with you. Hoping you have a great weekend too.

@313Lola I also had hip dysplasia. That may be why I'm still struggling with the bowed out leg still. It seems crooked and has even that way for a year before the surgery. PT assures me once I get the strength back in my leg it will return to normal. I'm just conscious when I walk that I'm holding it straight as I can. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

So so happy for you. I too had an appointment with OS today. I hugged him.
He said he loves to see how this surgery truly changes people's lives.
Some bumps ahead... But just bumps. We have got this!!

Hi @313Lola
So happy for you that your appointment went well and you are cleared to drive, I am so anxious for my appointment next Friday and I'm hoping to get cleared to drive as well. I feel like I can, my legs move perfectly I can get in and out of the car, not on anything more than Tylenol right now crossing my fingers that one more week brings the same good news for me. Onward and upward for us all!

gaulsuerue, hope you know when I called you a worry wart it was in fun...
You should've seen me the three days before my surgery.
And at the hospital...I was such a whiner. I was sure I had perhaps crippled myself for life.
You've been so brave and upbeat.
Anyway... Just wanted to clarify.
I know right after my surgery I was so sensitive I was sure Josephine was snapping at me about something when she was schooling me about posting or something.
Hope it didn't come off wrong.

@Mojo333 your posts are spot on... I read them and think, yes! That's exactly how i feel. Thanks for sharing such upbeat messages... I doubt anyone has taken offense.

I am not the hugging type, but i think i might have to break that habit at my next OS visit!

Have a great day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie