THR So it begins...

You sound awesome! @313Lola
I'm giving thanks right along with you as I can relate to so much of what you've said.
Everything feels easier, lighter and my outlook is so much brighter without that awful pain.
Wishing you a relaxing weekend....Hugs!
 
@313Lola I wish I was on my bike, but I promised the medical profession that I would wait 3-months. That is up Friday the first. I will put in new tubes Thursday nite an then put in the no-flat solution Friday and ride around the block and tune it up. Saturday I hope to go 5-10mi. The big race I am missing is tomorrow:bawl:. I saw a lot of cars with bikes on carriers headed south today on the freeway. I have a year to build up to 62-mi/100k. The bummer is, this last year we only had about 5-days of winter and I ceased being able to ride in Nov. I missed 9-mos of training.
We will probably have winter this year...
Isn't it nice to be w/out OA pain?
 
I also feel so blessed Lola. So glad this has been as much a life changer for you as it had for me. Yes, great to get in the car with no struggles, put on my shoes without pain, and WALK. Good bless teachers!!!
 
And somehow from that, I've jumped to being able to do so much more... more than I imagined.

That is exactly the way I feel about my trip last weekend! I actually did nothing especially strenuous in itself, it was just the sheer amount of stuff I did and survived, and now suddenly I can do stuff that I couldn't! And yes, so very thankful all the time!

I'm glad your teaching is going well-- I understand you completely about the "being 'on' all the time". My DIL is a third-grade teacher, and I don't see how she does it. My hat is off to all classroom teachers!
 
Hi @313Lola
Wanted to say Hi.
I still think of you every Tuesday as the weeks click by......and they have been clicking by! Faster than I ever imagined they would. I hope your're still doing well! I'm sure you're staying busy with work and life in general.
I'm hanging in there.....getting back into the swing of things more each day.
Wishing you a great rest of the week!
 
I haven't been keeping up with the boards because I am so busy getting back to living. Only folks who've walked this path can understand the pain before surgery. How small our lives become. How sad and depressing chronic pain can be.

Layla, Mojo333, zauberflöte, dougie0216, Josephine, cpollock, Jaycey and others who encouraged and gave great advice before and "on the other side" of this adventure.... THANK YOU.

I cannot believe how well things are going. OS appt last week went extremely well... Go, live your life! That's what he said. No follow up needed until... ONE YEAR (June!!!). No restrictions. No LLD either. Leg feels weird... but it's definitely pelvic tilt that just needs time to sort out. I am patiently waiting...still healing, but seeing progress and living pain free.

This past weekend I walked 2 miles. [amazing] Next day I rode my mountain bike about 3.5 miles... stuck to easy trails and road... walked a tricky part because my stamina isn't there yet, and I don't want to take risks related to falling. It felt soooo good!

Got in my regular kayak that afternoon... ride was great. Getting out wasn't fun. Should have planned better and gotten out on the non-op side. No damage done, but it was a strain.

Overall, I am shopping, working and living again. My OS and the new hip have made it possible... I gave him such a big hug.

And now, I'm reaching out through cyberspace... extending a virtual hug to each of you... I'll be thinking of you... keeping you in my prayers for good health and mobility. I'll check in once in a while, but like a grown child leaving the nest... I'm spreading my wings.

Much love to each of you!

p.s.... if you haven't donated to BS... do it! What a valuable resource, worthy of support.
 
@313Lola .......My surgery date buddy. Your post is so wonderful......that's what is all about!
Fly free bird...fly!
May the wind always be at your back
and the Lord there to direct your path.
Best wishes for a beautiful future!
 
@313Lola you sound SO HAPPY!!! We know how you feel :) Go, love life, enjoy all those sports that were previously impossible, take care, and come back New Year's Eve, when there is a rolling party just to check in and say hey!
:bicycle1: :kayak::dancy: :flwrysmile:
 
:goodpost:So happy for you. I mostly feel the same way...elation, relief, and gratitude.
Yay for getting your life back !!!
:yahoo:
 
@313Lola Hope you are still doing well. Thinking of you...glad you are back to life.
 
I'd love to hear an update too @313Lola
It's been awhile...my surgery date buddy.
Assuming all is well and you're just back living life......without the pain. Woo-hoo!
 
Bonesmarties!

@Layla how are you doing?! Hoping you're well.
@dougie0216 are you still moving and shakin' to the extremes?
How about you @Mojo333 how are those hips doing?

I haven't been on the boards in so long. I have been living... cannot believe how my life changed and improved post-op. I still catch myself thinking like a person struggling with mobility and pain- have to remind myself that I don't need a "close" parking spot and silly things like that.

If you're reading this pre-THR... please be brave and have the surgery. It's scary but so worth it. Take it slow. Follow your doctor's advice, don't do too much PT (if any), read and follow the mantras here. You CAN do this. It IS worth it. 100 times over it's worth it.

I was so depressed a year ago. Thought I was a lazy couch potato. Forgot I was someone who used to do things... pain is debilitating emotionally and physically. But the pain really does go away post-op.

I give thanks to my surgeon (and God) every day for the miracle of THR. I have been back on my bike, XC skiing (carefully), and hiking in the desert last month... mostly just living- puttering in my kitchen, going for walks, shopping, working... all of it like the dysplasia was never an issue. There are little minor nuisances- but don't we all have them? Overall- I feel better at 54 than I did at 40.

I have to mention there are a few ROM issues. Some relate to birth-defects and won't ever get fixed. It took me the longest time to be able to put on socks without the darn sock aid! But slowly I've become more flexible. In the grand scheme of things, these are trivial.

Wishes newbies and oldsters on BS a wonderful, encouraging day.
 
Hi @313Lola
It is so nice to hear from you!
I'm doing well. Thank you

I understand some of the old thinking still cropping up. I've experienced it also
but less and less as time passes. Minor nuisances I understand too. I believe it was Irish
Joe who once said if he only reaches 90% he'd be happy. I felt the same.
Any improvement is better than where I was.....stuck!
I'm thankful to God also, Lola. Suffering unrelenting pain and experiencing physical limitations then receiving a second chance, is a miracle. THR is truly amazing! So wonderful to hear you're well and enjoying life!

Wishing you the best as you move forward :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Oh, @313Lola :wave:
I'm so happy you are doing well!
I'm so grateful too....doing great, especially compared:wink:
All through with most of my whining and hips are happy!
Life after THR can be sweet!
Don't be a stranger!:curtsey:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom