THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@miaow27
I'm gonna get a really swollen head with these kudos, but I sure appreciate them.
Oy -- It'll probably be 10 years before I hop ("hop"?!) an escalator, & no doubt I'll want a tranquilizer beforehand!
 
I think of my foot as unreliable & untrustworthy even though I'm reassured that it's not.
I think part of it is the numbness you had. But I still find myself hesitating to put full weight on my replaced hip. Makes absolutely no sense at all - but old habits die hard I guess!

I appreciate all you do here, by the way.
:blush: Thanks, it's a labor of love!
 
Hi @shrinkette the Nordic Walking poles are absolutely fabulous for confidence building and providing stability. I have found that Orthopedic Surgeons here in Australia recommend them and in fact there is one OS in WA who is a member of a Nordic Walking group. I spoke to my surgeon and he said he also thought it was beneficial.. Something to think about :)
 
I'm sure I could've been walking with a cane for awhile... My in-home PT guy had me doing it at home without me holding onto him, & felt I was fine. I practiced with hubby along countertops & holding his hand, but I feel wobbly & insecure with the numbness on my foot which is verrrrrry sloooooowly improving. In this sense I feel like a failure.
Basic rule: if you don't feel confident enough to go without your cane then don't! Part of the "everyone's unique" thing is getting rid of the "must's", "ought's", "should's" and "have to's". They don't exist, okay? Expunge them from your vocabulary and your mind.

And you just came through major surgery so stop beating yourself up and give yourself a daisy instead! :flwrysmile:
 
I think part of it is the numbness you had. But I still find myself hesitating to put full weight on my replaced hip. Makes absolutely no sense at all - but old habits die hard I guess!

It's DEFINITELY because of the numbness I had & STILL HAVE! Some feeling has returned in various areas of the sole & bottoms of my toe, but not really my big toe. I have just started being able to move that big toe independently (of foot). The entire TOP of my foot up to where my ankle first starts & down to my toes, is numb. This also makes it impossible for me to put a shoe on without assistance -- even a slip-on, because I can't feel what I need to feel. I can bend & flex my foot & can walk heel/toe, but the numbness, I feel, contributes to/is responsible for my unsteadiness.

And @Josephine
Thanks... Of course you're right. I am guilty of what is called in my profession, "stinkin' thinkin'. I should know that. Even my out-patient therapist who I saw once so far, said forget the cane for now. Don't push it. I guess it's because I want that next step so badly that so many people (seem!) to achieve so quickly... But then again, BS is a very tiny proportion of the hundreds of thousands of folks who have THRs world-wide -- and just maybe it's not really representative.

Thinking about it, a forum like this would appeal to a very specific type of individual, i think -- certainly someone who's relatively comfortable expressing themselves in writing, not to mention has easy access to the Internet. That alone would rule out many, right? Just ruminating...
 
Shrinkette- what is 'stinkin' thinkin' ' ? I would think yes this board is not representative of all new hippies- I think generally peeps here are younger, techier ( if that's a word) richer? than most... So not a fair comparison if we were to be comparing and obvs we're trying not to.
Sorry for a bit of a ramble...
Hope your day is going ok apart from what sounds like an interminably annoying numb foot. You must have been working hard on it to be able to make all those movements despite the lack of feeling.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well, you're dead right, Shrinkette. Considering there are around 1 million THRs done every year world wide, our puny 10,000 members (that's hips and knees) since 2006 is obviously a very small sample!
 
Ellen, I loved your post - such generosity of spirit and honesty! It is sure to have resonated with many, many people. Thank you
 
@Poppet
Thanks for the suggestion re Nordic walking poles. Others have recently suggested those. I'm considering them.

@miaow27
Since you asked, as I remember it, the concept underlying "stinkin' thinkin'" is the idea that the messages we send ourselves -- which often comprise, as @Josephine just said, the "musts," "shoulds," "oughts," & "have to's," -- are harmful in that they then impact both how we behave & how we think of ourselves. These might also include the one I mentioned in my own post ("I'm a failure'), & other things we tell ourselves all the time: I'm not good enough, fast enough, smart enough... Add your adjective or comparison du jour. Basically, thinking leads to behavior & action. My dad used to say... "Comparisons are odious". Don't know if that was original, but probably contains some truth. Someone, please SHUT ME UP!!

@grandma chris & @Dmcfad2
Many thanks for your "thanks". I actually enjoyed writing it on some level. I think I need a life -- LOL!

Love you all.
 
My doctor said to me to keep the internet in perspective .. And I know this as a public librarian for 10 years
people that post on the internet are not a representation of general public. It is either the top 5% superstars who breeze thru surgery and doing Olympic stunts Then the bottom 5% who have horrible things happen.. The 90 percentage that deal with normal surgeries a lot of times are not represented on the internet. The normal recoveries with ups and downs.Love the internet but it has it's drawback is in keeping perspectives on reality. You are doing awesome Ellen.. Your pace is slower but definitely an improvement from where you are before and headed in a positive direction:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Thanks @shrinkette, that is well explained. My thinkin' is often stinkin' I fear. And no one should shut you up. Your Dad is right- comparisons ARE odious! You rock! :-)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
great post ellen @shrinkette. the shrink in you is definitely shining through. I noticed you said you're driving, which is great. also just wanted to mention, when the time comes, that I was much happier in the beginning with one of those crutches that grasps your upper arm and has a handle for your hand. I felt much steadier with that. hope the time comes soon. and even tho things have gone so well for me, I do notice fear whenever there's a new twinge or pain. but eventually they go away and I'm learning to trust my hip. take care, devorah
 
Shalom, @dickinson
Thanks for the kind words. And yes, I've been driving for quite awhile -- of course it's not my op leg. Could only imagine placing a numb foot on the accelerator! Yikes.

Interesting idea about that crutch. I've never used any kind of crutch, but might consider your suggestion. You think I could do better with that than with a cane? And others suggest Nordic Trac poles. Tis a puzzlement.

You talk about learning to trust your hip. Understandable, of course. In my case I hardly even think of my hip; all my focus is on that da*n foot! Glad you are doing as well as you are.
 
You think I could do better with that than with a cane?
I felt much better using one elbow crutch both pre and post op.
[Bonesmart.org] Shrinkette Has Arrived!

A cane seems to require you to put full weight on both sides. I could really support my op side much better with an elbow crutch.
 
Hi @shrinkette....great post...loved the honesty!! My thoughts during recovery was that this THR stuff has bought out the worst and the best of myself. I've never been self absorbed before but certainly have been the last 8 months. Hey ho!!! It is what it is!!! Sometimes you just have to be the 'needy' one........for a while. I used one elbow crutch until I was 6 months post op as I was limping badly....it gave me much more confidence.......the cane was not sufficient for me. However, now I take a cane on longer outings but only use it if necessary. You have had more to deal with than most of us so it will take longer.....but with your sense of humour and patience you will get there!! Chrissie x



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@shrinkette I agree about an elbow crutch. After a previous hip surgery I used elbow crutches when I was non weight bearing on op hip. When I started to weight bear again I used 1 crutch for a bit.
So maybe worth a try for you?
Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
the other advantage of the elbow crutch is that you can just let it hang off your arm if you need your hand for something. anyway. I hope that time comes soon ellen @shrinkette. you're definitely getting funny again. have a good summer. and if you're ever in my neighborhood....:cheers:
 
@dickinson @Hoppy Nanny @miaow27 @Jaycey Many thanks for all the input on elbow crutches. It's something to think about & I'll ask my PT what she thinks when I see her tomorrow. And Chrisie @Hoppy Nanny, thanks also for your kind, introspective comment. Very true. Also Jen @psychteach Interesting what you had to say about those who post on the Internet. Would like to discuss more. Didn't know you were a librarian in another life!

So guess what, kids? A small accomplishment today (well, big for me... not even remarkable for others): I folded my trusty 4-wheel, seated walker myself & loaded it into my back seat, then unloaded at destination. First time I've done that, but we decided it's time. A little more practice, & I escape! It's gonna be good to regain some independence & a relief for us both for different reasons.
 
@shrinkette. I apologize for popping in so late on your thread. I just found you. I wanted to let you know how amazing you are regardless of the set back of your numb foot. I am sure that is very frustrating but you have handled it with such grace and the support you have provided to others here is heart felt. I hope your upcoming outpatient PT helps resolve it and gives you a little more confidence. Whoo Hoo on folding that walker up and packing it yourself. Be proud, you deserve it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom