Guest viewing is limited

THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Serenity41
Wow -- thanks for the kind words, especially in view of the fact that you are just a day post-op BILATERALLY (!!) yourself! Happy to hear how fantastically you're doing... But you MUST stop doing those squats and crunches when you think nobody's looking!! LOL. You'll be a hard act to follow.
 
Ellen you are doing amazingly better! Glad to hear it:) yes .. I worked for broward library for 10 years . Have an MLS and then became media specialist in high school and then turned to teaching AP psych as I have a second masters in psych. Love teaching .. Hated being a librarian:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi, @shrinkette ... I have not been on here much at all, but have thought of YOU frequently and the abysmal recovery you have had. Not fair, but just rotten roll of the dice. You sound like you are really coming along now, though. So happy and relieved for you. Sounds like that numb foot is the last thing to deal with, but it sounds like it is coming along too. Your postings have been a huge help to all of us, your wisdom and candor ... and commonsense and compassion to others. Sending good wishes to you. Take care.
 
@younghippie
Beautiful avatar, btw... Your cat? Breed?

Thanks for your comment. Haha... Talking about "strides" is so apt -- I've been told to bring my cane to next rehab session. I did use it in the house during in-home PT, but never without the therapist. Now we're getting serious in out-patient, but my anxiety level is very high. Once I feel comfortable with it, I'll feel like I've really progressed! The fear of falling just overtakes me...
 
Thank you! Funny about the avatar... that is not an actual image of my cat (One day, I just googled siberian cat for some reason and that popped up... I liked it so much and it looked SO much like my cat that I put it on as my avatar.) My cat looked exactly like that as a kitten. She is a bit older now and the breed is Siberian. My husband is terribly allergic to cats and I thought I'd never have another cat. Then we saw a Cats 101 show on Animal Planet about Siberians. They are hypoallergenic. It is amazing. He has absolutely no reaction to her. When he is around other cats, his eyes water, nose runs and he even has an asthma reaction. But, he has no reaction at all with our cat. She is so sweet and pretty too!
 
@younghippie
Re your beautiful Siberian cat avatar: Interesting info about the breed as hypoallergenic. My husband is also allergic, & 14 years ago when we brought home two kittens he had his first-ever asthma attack. It never recurred, but he does use a preventative inhaler ever since. The kittens were a Ragdoll with a lynx-like coat & a Balinese. The Ragdoll died of kidney failure a few years ago, but the Balinese is great -- brilliant, in fact. A very companionable, affectionate, & super-smart cat. If you don't know, a Bali is actually a long-haired, less vocal Siamese. I'll have to check out Siberians -- they're gorgeous.
 
Update: At routine visit to my knee surgeon (TKR 2/13) after one year from last visit, he told me my knee was "rock solid" & perfect (3 x-rays to prove it)! Told him about my THR (he doesn't do hips), & he, too, reassured me about the nerves in my foot regenerating "in time", cautioning me to "be patient". Easy for HIM to say.

Started on cane yesterday in rehab; therapist said I did better than expected. Used it a bit in house today, but lack confidence & ooze anxiety. Thanks to rehab, foot has gained considerable flexion, I can wiggle my toes, & feel carpet fibers & grout lines in tile floor. Therapist tells me my leg is strong & reliable, so no worries there. Unfortunately, that knee (on op side) is arthritic & I'm trying to be good to it; standing on it for protracted periods triggers some aching, but walking is fine. And finally got myself into our supermarket, where I haven't been for maybe 2 years. Wow -- lots of new products!! Felt like I just came over 'on the boat' as I walked around gaping!!"

This has been one helluva long road. Thanks to everyone for their good wishes as I make my way.
 
So pleased you are making progress Ellen and getting out to the supermarket is a major milestone.. I found that myself - good for you :)
 
Ellen!
So happy to hear of your excursion to the grocery store, and how new it seemed! that's neat....
Good you are feeling more capable of mobility.
I know from my personal experience with going down stairs - its scary to me. So I understand the cane issue and
potential to feel like you may fall.
I think its just a matter of time and practice. And we will overcome those hurdles.
Enjoy your weekend! Venture out!
 
Ellen, so glad you are able to get out. Hearing that you hadn't been to the grocery store in 2 years makes me realize how much this pain affects our lives and robs us of normal activities. I smiled at your enthusiasm of returning to the grocery store and seeing new products. I can't wait to live a 'normal' life again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey sweetie.....so good to hear life is beginning to widen for you again. Today the grocery store; tomorrow the world. Have at it. :)

Sharon
 
@wannabebrave, @MajorHeidi, @fulafoto, @psychteach, @Poppet
Thanks as always for the supportive comments... They mean an awful lot.

In truth, I didn't do much in grocery store -- just walked as much as I felt I could, but it was good to feel "normal" again, for however short a time. Succumbed to a delicious-looking bag of Pepperidge Farm cookies I had never seen before. (The packaging was better than the taste!). Well, I HAD to know, right? Thank God I never quite got to the Bakery section!

Bill, DH will be SO happy when I'm really out & about, that he couldn't care less about "spendings"!! LOL Bet you're counting the days, my friend. You're gonna be one happy fella!

Claire, appreciate your identifying with "scary" issue. I'd love to get past THAT!

Jennifer, did I not tell you you'd be a star?!! Fantastic recovery, missy.

Poppet, you are terrific & wise.

Noticed more ROM today in hip when lying on back with knees up; can now let op leg "fall" to the side. No pain. Impossible to do pre-op without screaming. Therapist credited recumbent bike -- I'm just thrilled to notice these results. Will take whatever I can get. Enjoy the weekend, everybody!
 
Fantastic Ellen... I am interested in your recumbent bike, is this a stationary one?

My DH and I have been considering outdoor recumbents but I have severe lower back issues and don't think I could get down, let alone get up, lol.. Xx
 
@shrinkette , I was thinking about you this morning. So glad to visit your thread and find you are still making progress. Worry not - yes it's a long road but you will get there! Use the cane when you are feeling confident. These things do take time!
 
So glad that you are seeing progress....light at the end of your very long tunnel @shrinkette. I'm always amazed at the resilience that we all think we don't possess but we find during journeys such as yours Ellen....it's been so tough for you but can always see a 'twinkle' in your posts...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom