THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette Ellen, its good to hear you say that you hare happy that you have your new hip, and that
you have NO PAIN.
I do recall when you were in terrible pain and distress with life activities you wanted to enjoy.
You having no pain at all, is just something to make us all smile.
:friends:
 
@MajorHeidi & @Vetgirl Claire & Sally... Not having pain trumps it all, I think. And I would gladly wobble a little while longer if thats what it means. I got into the driver's seat of my car today & with PT's encouragement, backed out of my driveway. No problem, so I will get a little more comfortable & start driving. It's been a long time.

Sally... It's time you had a break... you've been through the mill. And at the same time you seem to be able to 'be there' for everybody else with wise words & great advice. I retreated, I think, during my most trying times... Couldn't seem to drum up that cheer leading spirit when I was so self-involved. You're amazing & I hope the next step happens & is everything you hope for.

Claire ... so nice to know you're doing so well and starting to enjoy a normal life again. Your presence has been steady and very comforting. And i love your doggies!
 
Thanks so much Ellen @shrinkette for your lovely words.

During my first THR I was like you and didn't post as much. Posting helps me as much as I hope it helps others.

It reminds me that I too will get through this, that there is always someone worse off than me and gives me a chance to give back to everyone who has really helped me get through this.

The toughest time was waiting and feeling so awful on all the different ABX ...I am on the road to repair now.

So jealous of your sink view as described on Claire's thread....a canal and a turtle sunning itself!!!!! How beautiful

I'm so glad you are doing better and don't feel bad about retreating....you had to cope with so much

Xxx
 
Remarkable post @Vetgirl. I am learning a lot about hips as well as infections. You have a great way of explaining these things. As well a book you might want to think about lecturing! Thank you for sharing!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
So glad you are seeing light at the end of the long tunnel you have been through, Ellen!
 
@Dmcfad2 Thanks, Debbie. You seem to be doing nicely! What a process, huh? Right now, I'll just take what I can get even in minuscule increments, & be grateful. I've gotta practice more with the cane, but it's still kind of scary because of that foot... I lack confidence even though PT has reassured me. Mind over matter I guess.
 
Shrinkette we love you and your progress!!! Just sayin...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
@VF Hey, neighbor! You are a STAR!!! You've done unbelievably well. kiddo! I hope you're counting your lucky stars & thanking all the gods of hip-dom. Just enjoy that new pain-free life & the freedom to be 'normal'...

I thank you for your sentiments... Don't know what I would've done without all you guys to cheer me on & applaud my little successes. I'm looking forward to my world opening up again... whenever.
 
Your world will open up Ellen, small steps... I am happy for you that you are enjoying 'just being in the moment' for now - reading, cat napping on your lap...
 
Hello, everybody! Just thought I'd report in with an update. Am now almost 3.5 months post-op & am continuing to make progress, measured in baby steps as compared to many others (I know, I know -- we all proceed at our own pace, & so I am, & grateful FOR it!).

I'm still not completely cane-trained (I sound like a puppy!), but I could've worked harder & that numb foot discourages anything that feels too risky. I understand that a lot of this is anxiety-based; I can do it, but just need more practice to feel secure. I'm steadier on my feet in general though, now stand when showering, am driving everywhere, seeing ROM improvements (can bend & reach some interesting new places, not to mention pull up my pants!), am out more & walking longer, have had some more nerves "reawaken" on the bottom of my foot, & have completed home PT which never required me to tolerate pain, but produced results.

Saw my OS yesterday who pronounced my x-ray perfect with the requisite bone growth, & clarified that I did have the "anterior-lateral, muscle-sparing approach" (Î wasn't absolutely sure) with no restrictions apart from extending my leg backwards, & said I'm moving/walking much better. I had a few questions in which he was fully engaged & was quite chatty & personable. Next on the agenda: Out-patient PT at a facility with a lovely, gentle therapist I used before, for cane transition, gait, strength, et al. Both OS & home PT supervisor cautioned against doing anything painful -- Bonesmart would be proud!

Still no hip pain. Only complaint is mildly achy knee on op side (though not when walking), which seems to be triggered by shallow squats. I know it's arthritic, & certainly want to treat it with kid gloves, so to speak, as I'm not in the market for any more replacements except maybe my DH -- LOL, just kidding!

Hope this finds you all happily pain-free & progressing in your own unique way. For those still struggling post-op, please try to remember, as you endure continued pain, disability, dependence on others, the ongoing worry & inconvenience of it all, or the situational depression & emotional lability that comes with the territory, that you WILL get through this eventually & can lean on the support offered you here while you wait. And for those ladies & gentlemen waiting for their respective new parts, hope you're anticipating more than fearing this adventure; it's surely an interesting ride, but one with an almost universally guaranteed to-die-for safe landing! (Oops -- bad choice of words, methinks!)

Ellen
 
I am so happy to read this report. You have had a tough time of it and I have followed your posts since I first got on this forum many months ago. It sounds like you are making good progress. :happydance:Your optimism is contagious!
 
So happy you are doing well my friend. You have been a great support for me since the beginning .. Glad you are truly on the mend..


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Wonderful update @shrinkette ! I so love hearing about each and every triumph. You have been an inspiration to me from the very beginning of your long journey and I thank you.
 
Shrinkette it's been a pleasure going through recovery with you. We started off together on my first hip replacement back in January. Well as you know I went and had my left hip replaced last week. It was different as far as I was in extreme pain the first day and I vomited due to the anesthesia this time. It seems harder to walk on than my right one was. But it seems a little better as I'm 10 days out now. My left leg seems longer and more stiff and sore. But none the less I'm gonna push my way through. Be encouraged my friend as we both continue to push our way to a new life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
HI Ellen, glad to hear an update from you....
I always appreciate your humor and you did not disappoint. :heehee:
Your slow and steady approach will win the race for you! :friends:
 
@shrinkette I have been thinking about you and have some concerns I thought you might have insight on. I did my PATs last Tues and don't know the results yet. I saw my doctor on Thurs for surgery clearance but he didn't have results of PATs. He decided I should do a nuclear stress test. I was scheduled in his office for yesterday, Friday, and when I got there the camera was broken. Now I have to go to the hospital next Friday to do it. My OS said he prefers his patients go home after surgery if they can. My doctor said that a week or two in subacute rehab might be good since I am don't have a lot of strength and I have a bad back. The OS is concerned about infection and my doctor about my falling. I will have my husband at home and my daughter for a few days. At the instruction class the nurse said we will be evaluated on day two and we won't get sent home if they think we can't. The have a subacute facility that I heard good things about including from my doctor.
Any advice or insight?
Hope you are doing well.
Maggie
 
@Daffy dill First tell me what PATs are.

Not exactly sure what you want to know -- what I think of you going to an in-patient rehab based on weakness, bad back & fall risk? What sort of condition is your hubby in & what's your home like, i.e. steps, bathrooms, etc. ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom