THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette Sorry about my confusing note. PATs are pre-admission testing. I think my apprehension is catching up with me. My husband is 80 and in pretty good shape. I have steps to get into the house. Bathrooms not a problem. I think I should wait and see how I do and then go where is best for me. My own fear is that I will not have the necessary strength to do what I will need to do to recover at home.
Thanks for answering.
 
@Daffy dill I understand your apprehension about being able to function in whatever ways you have to, at home. Having been out of shape for years due a bad knee that I stalled on for years, followed almost immediately by a bad hip, I hadn't been active at all, was using a cane, & for longer or unknown expeditions, a travel chair.

I think you will be evaluated by the PT folks at the hospital & if you demonstrate ability to meet certain criteria & don't develop contra indicative medical issues, it's home sweet home. I think you must be able to get to the bathroom, dress yourself, walk a certain number of steps, & ascend/descend steps. Anyway, they will definitely have an opinion. Could be you'll need to build up some muscle strength, or are not doing well enough on a walker, or lack stamina, or are unable to perform certain exercises, or they haven't been able to regulate your pain meds... Who know? Of you might need some extra goodies like a transfusion or an IV or another test. All that is fixable stuff.

Soooo -- if all that checks out & they feel you'd be better served at home, terrific! You'll have to get up those steps at your house & your hubby will be running & fetching, preparing meals for you, doing laundry, doing errands, etc., so I hope he's up to the job. Hope you've arranged for a raised toilet seat at some point soon, as well as those aids you think would be helpful.

If by some chance, you don't pass PT muster, a rehab is not a bad idea. You'd be in a controlled environment where you would presumably receive regular PT 2-3 x/day & have all your needs met. It gets you out of bed & moving when you least want to, but it will probably get you up & running & in better condition sooner than later. Be sure, if you go this route, to know what internist or physiatrist follows you medically while you're there. I know some surgeons think rehab is conducive to infections; I've read that here on BS also. You're probably never gonna get universal agreement on this, Daffy.

Another aspect is fall risk. This is a matter of pure unadulterated safety. If you feel you need more practice on cane due to spinal issues, and weak legs, I therefore feel it behooves your "management" to make the arrangements & sign you up!! That's the best I can do except recommend an absolutely super rehab where my friend went for her bilateral TKR. She loved it so much, she didn't want to leave! Check out the Burke Rehabilitation Hospital in White Plains, NY. My friend lives on the Island in Plainview & spent 12 days there; she walked out on 2 canes!

Hope this helped.
 
@shrinkette Thank you so much for your reply, it is quite helpful. I have a bedside potty chair, a picker, and I got a leg lifter. I have a walker too. I have cold packs for icing. I have been using a cane for years because of my back, so I am used to that. I am going to leave it up to my surgeon and the physiatrist there as well as PT. I eat a low carb diet and my diabetes is under very good control and no doubt I will do better at home. So one day at a time. Thanks again. Hope you are doing well.
 
Hey @DrToonz
So lovely to hear from you! Glad to see you're still around &, I hope, continuing to do well with your shiny new hips.

You're right: I'm doing OK except for my Impatience @ the slow pace of nerve rejuvenation. My hip is terrific & the numbness in my foot is still there, but somewhat lessened -- at least on the sole & bottom of my toes. Am now doing out-patient PT & hoping that in time I will transition to a cane & feel confident doing so. That will at least give me some independence! I have walked in my house with a cane, but feel a bit insecure thanks to The Foot Îssue. So anyway, i am making progress, have seen a big improvement in ROM, leg strength, & just general condition, & I'm driving, so I'm plowing along. This has been one helluva journey, you know?!

Take care & be well. ❤❤
 
Hey, if you can borrow some trekking poles that's what I used and you can really leverage them. Also you can use TWO so the insecurity of one cane is less.
Then you can occasionally try one after you've done it for a while to transition to one then if you'd like, to a cane.
I never did cane. Just hiking poles, 2 then 1 then I'd bring one just in case, but not use it.
Just a thought.
Glad to hear the feeling's returning to your numb spots. My numb areas down my thighs from the incisions do not seem to be getting better at all, but I don't need them like you would you r feet.


Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Hey, if you can borrow some trekking poles that's what I used and you can really leverage them. Also you can use TWO so the insecurity of one cane is less.
Then you can occasionally try one after you've done it for a while to transition to one then if you'd like, to a cane.
I never did cane. Just hiking poles, 2 then 1 then I'd bring one just in case, but not use it.
Just a thought.
Glad to hear the feeling's returning to your numb spots. My numb areas down my thighs from the incisions do not seem to be getting better at all, but I don't need them like you would you r feet.


Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk


Wish I had me some hiking poles. When do you find them at. I walk with one cane around the house and about a block with a cane before I get tired. When I had my left hip replacement in January couldn't do to much rehab because my left hip was shoot. Now that I got them both done and I'm a month out tomorrow I am looking to get stronger day by day week by week. Shrinkette your such a fighter and I know you will bounce back... Dr Toonze keep up the progress I'm coming behind you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Wish I had me some hiking poles. When do you find them at.
Any outdoor sports store should have them (REI, Cabella's, Big 5, many others). Also right now, Costco has a pair that are really pretty nice for fairly cheap. They can get VERY spendy if you're not using them for hiking like I do.
 
Thanks I will look into it. I walked 5 blocks today with my cane. Knees still stiff . It's only been 4 weeks sense surgery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Shrinkette, @jebrig3164 and anyone else thinking about nordic walking poles, here's an article that may be useful to read.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nordic-walking-poppet-walks-the-talk.16606/

Poppet is our resident expert on these, so if you have any more questions just shoot them over to her.

I'd consider them for myself, but I'm too busy tooling around on a new recumbent trike these days. One way or another, we hippies find our way to be mobile.

Sharon
 
hi ellen @shrinkette. just wanted to say hello. sounds like things are improving for you. I like your idea of posting your threads on your signature. it took me till now, (and reading the insructions!) to figure out even how to find my own. so it has been a pretty long haul for you. just curious, being a shrink-ette after all, what you feel you've learned from this experience. you know, if you feel like sharing. :) I have really been blessed with a great recovery, and helped when doubts came up by @Josephine and by this wonderful forum. I think I would say for myself that I've learned to trust my own process (it took a long time to make the decision to do surgery); to rely on other people when I need to, and to look forward to life again. so have a great summer and continued recovery. devorah
ps. hi @dr toonz. glad to see your doing so well.
 
Hi Ellen, I agree with @dickinson in her suggestion for you to write up your thoughts...... that would
be great. Hope you are doing well!!! :loveshwr:
 
@dickinson & @MajorHeidi Thanks for soliciting my thoughts about what this whole experience has taught me. I will answer as well as I can -- although I can't honestly say as a "Shrinkette" because during this long process I have kind of compartmentalized my professional side & just been a garden-variety patient, although it's certainly likely that I've fallen back on something I've learned or utilized some dynamic i recognize while getting through this &, certainly, expressing myself on BS.

Profound thoughts? I guess I've learned to tolerate the disappointment of not having the routinely expected outcome... to adjust my thinking & to develop new expectations & timelines. Patience: definitely, but not always managed successfully in the sense I'm so anxious for continued progress to be evident, but am easily discouraged when too much time has elapsed without it -- sometimes to the point of hopelessness. And then something good happens!

Tolerating dependence has been hard, although I should've been used to it, as this was my pre-surgery state. Fortunately, my husband seems to have been blessed with the patience to lend the assistance needed even though I came close to ripping his head off frequently.
I think I also learned I'm capable of enduring considerable discomfort while keeping my eye on the prize.

This is a hard one: I learned -- no, I knew -- that I'm lazy, that I dislike physical exercise & always have... It was never part of my world except when I was a kid. I like being pampered & served, & love my creature comforts. (I'm reading this & realize how awful I sound, so just stop here if you find me too dislikeable!). But I also realize that without expending effort -- yeah, & even a little sweat (ugh!!) -- I'm not gonna get where I need to get. I get THAT! So.... Given my natural temperament & predisposition, I'm ok -- maybe slower than I've had to be or than some of you runners/hikers/bikers/gym rats would allow yourselves to be -- but I am who I am & trying to basically fight through maladaptive natural inclinations to do "the right thing". I'm also not in competition with anyone else although it's hard sometimes to internalize the "everyone's-recovery-is-unique" mantra & therefore not measure yourself against the folks doing handstands as they emerge from surgery & feel like you're coming up short.

Confession #2: I'm scared. I'm sure I could've been walking with a cane for awhile... My in-home PT guy had me doing it at home without me holding onto him, & felt I was fine. I practiced with hubby along countertops & holding his hand, but I feel wobbly & insecure with the numbness on my foot which is verrrrrry sloooooowly improving. In this sense I feel like a failure. Hopefully, Out-Patient PT, which will be doing gait training & transitioning to a cane & some strength stuff, will get me there. I've still only had 1 session, BUT -- I've been pretty diligent about the exercises in the interim. I know it pays off. I definitely feel stronger & less tired & just more "able," if that makes sense. As is said here, so much comes back naturally if you don't push too hard or overuse those surgically-injured areas.

I better stop here before BS tells me I've exceeded some limit. Guess it's more than you bargained for, but I think it was cathartic for me. At best , I hope something I wrote strikes a chord with a fellow Smartie.

Ellen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@shrinkette , what a great post! No there is no limit here - write all you want. That's what this forum is about.

You mentioning your fear in recovery - I had the same experience and it has taken me a very long time to get over it. The medication they gave me for blood thinning made me very dizzy. Only problem was, I didn't know it was the medication until 6 weeks post op. So I convinced myself that my THR made me unsteady on my feet. To this day I have to "catch" myself and remember my footing is just fine. Unfortunately it has made a major impact on my fear of heights and feeling secure on things like fast moving escalators.

PT will help you with being scared. But these things take time. And yes indeed - some of us measure our recovery in months and years versus weeks.
 
@shrinkette , @Jaycey, what amazing posts, thank you for writing. I agree it is hard NOT to measure yourself up against (what is just a perception) of others recovering super quickly and doing amazing things.
I too am still battling - extremely tight and often painful ITB issues from weird moving before surgery... I generlly feel as if I should be further along in my recovery.
Anyway just wanted to say really you expressed this so well.
And I too have been hesitant and wary on escalators for a long time...
I really admire both of you for your bravery, stoicism and eloquence on your respective journeys.
Keep going! Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
@Jaycey
Aw, thanks. It's always great when someone identifies with your own experience. Doesn't make you feel as "odd" or abnormal. In your mind you associated THR with dizziness even AFTER you knew the real reason. Amazing what the mind does, right, & what tends to stick with you. I think of my foot as unreliable & untrustworthy even though I'm reassured that it's not. Hip? What hip? I got a new hip...? Not a prob. :heehee:

I appreciate all you do here, by the way.
 
Wow Ellen, what an excellent thought provoking post.
:goodpost:
I also had a day when I felt like a 4 yr old standing on the edge of the pool, and being too scared to
brave the stairs to go down into the water. I finally was able to give in and 'just do it', but I certainly
can relate to being scared of something that should have been natural and easy.

I am glad you are doing the outpatient PT, and I begin mine on Monday to strengthen.
Continued all the best to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom