THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette That is wonderful that you made it to the grocery store! :)

I was happy to find the Siberian breed. I was hesitant about if they would really be hypoallergenic. But, the breeder had us park our car in her driveway and she brought 2 of her Siberian kittens into the car for a "test". What a fun adventure for me, being a cat lover! They are very social cats and walked and climbed all over our car (and us!) for about an hour. My husband didn't have a reaction, so we knew it would work out. We have had other people come into our home that are allergic to cats and they have no reaction either. It's so neat! :catbutterfly:
 
@Poppet
I use the recumbent bike at the rehab center although I have one at home. I got the one at home prior to my knee surgery, I think, but either due to pain/lack of mobility at the time or just a bad fit, I never used it.

They are NOT low -- otherwise I would never be able to get on/off comfortably. And it is stationary. The bike's seat at rehab moves forward & back & raises/lowers easily for a perfect position. The seat also swivels so that you don't have to climb into or onto or around anything... Simply slide onto seat & adjust. Of course, the therapist sets me up there. I peddle for 10 minutes as slow as I want, to warm up & use those leg muscles. Maybe you could try one at a gym or rehab?
 
True confessions: haven't posted much lately, probably due mostly to my state of mind. Been very "down" of late... Impatience & frustration with my perceived lack of "enough" progress after almost 5.5 months; persistent anxiety while using cane & feeling of unsteadiness despite encouragement of therapist; dh's ongoing help & support tinged with his own understandable impatience for my increased independence; need to escape from so much togetherness resulting in mixed feelings of being smothered yet fear of trying to venture out alone; myriad fears of my arthritic knee & hip deciding to go south before I'm more mobile with the op hip; need for huge amount of dental work that I've put off either because I've been stupid & scared, or when ready, was undergoing TKR or THR & their aftermath. Most of my teeth will need replacement in one form or another, & the risk of infection is terribly scary, as are the procedures.

Had enough? Oh, there's more! Went through big-time anxiety over DH's memory issues (or should I say, lack thereof), which seemed to have worsened alarmingly. Thank God an MRI & EEG showed "age-related" changes only & he's much improved for whatever reason. Until we heard the good news I was seriously thinking the "A-word". Stress is thought to be a factor, as it is for his newly diagnosed high blood pressure, which he never had & suddenly appeared. Primary doc thinks it's stress-related kind, has him on meds, & is watching closely.

My best friend of 40+ years is now terminally ill from metastasized breast cancer; she lives in another state & I can't travel yet. No idea how much time is left, but she's making plans. How do you say good-bye?

As a member observed recently, he doesn't post much anymore, as is true of many who've moved on successfully, & the names have therefore changed. Folks come & go here in a kind of natural order, which is as it should be. There's not as much need to keep hanging around when you've resumed a normal life & have put this behind you. I admit I'm so envious that I'm still so far from "normal". I just can't seem to get there.

I know I've made progress... I'm just so sad & frustrated & worried that some other shoe will drop before I can get closer to where I need to be. Thanks for letting me have my pity party/catharsis. I don't know what I would've done without you. I appreciate you all.

(And, reading this back, I'm cognizant of how much the words "fear" & "scared" appear. Ever the shrink, huh?)
 
@shrinkette Ellen, you have been thru so much, you deserve a lot of good things coming your way.
I'm still here....., :friends: Wish I could give you a big hug.

Trying to get over bronchitis. Just signed up for 12 more PT sessions to strengthen my knees and help me do steps better.
I hope the best for you, and it will come!
 
That's right Shrinkette, it will come!! Do not believe you are the only one with issues, we all have them, right? I'm on Day 13, using one crutch but still home bound. You must keep 'marching on', there is a reason for all that is happening to you is my belief...
 
You have every right to feel the way you do @shrinkette...more reasons than most to feel scared & fearful. But, being the shrink you know that at some stage this will all be ' history' and you too will move on and stop feeling the need to post and stay on BS..........can understand your hubby's stress related illnesses...it's tough for you both and closeness is great..,except when it's imposed on you. Keep that lovely chin up ( easy for me to say? My hip is now forgotten but the op knee is now a big pain?)........you will get there! Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Oh Ellen @shrinkette things have not been easy for you at all have they? All I can offer is my support for you and please know thee are still quite a few of us hanging around and thinking and praying for you.
All we can do is go forward one day at a time and greet each new day with new vigor and enthusiasm.
As my daughter is fond of saying and I have to try and remember in tough times: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
Take care my dear friend xx
 
I'll add my thoughts, as well. You know when you're down is when BoneSmart can help the most! It's okay to tell your friends here about how you feel and what's going on. We understand cuz so many of us have been where you are in some form or fashion. Or at a minimum, we have helped others here who have experienced more challenging recoveries. So....lean on us, hon! As you can tell from the posts above, your friends here care about you and will be here for you!
 
@shrinkette Sorry you are feeling down. You have been such a great source of support for me and so many here. We are here for you! Positive thoughts and prayers being sent your way. ;)
 
Good vibes going out to you. Hope that soon youll be looking back at all this with a sigh of relief knowing you made it through.
 
Shrinkette, I want to join the others in wishing this soon passes for you. We've been through major changes, not only within our physical body, but emotionally as well. With any added stress, of course we are going to have times of sadness. I pray this changes for you soon. Keep reaching out - you have lots of friends and a wonderful support system here.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi, @shrinkette ... just wanted to stop by and tell you hello and I'm thinking of you, pulling for you. Anyone with half the stuff you have going on right now would be blue and scared. What would you tell one of your patients? I'd guess you'd tell him or her to go toward the light, meaning, people who are caring and supportive, such as at Bonesmart. As far as I can see, there is no expiration date. Support is often needed farther down the line and not just in the early weeks. You've been a lovely, loyal source of support to so many here. I know everyone wants to do the same for you. So let them. Take care.
 
Hi Ellen @shrinkette I'm sorry to find you blue but you have every reason to feel this way.

You and hubby have been through so much and although rationally you can see that you have come so far you also crave the life that you thought this operation would bring. It ok to feel scared, blue and frustrated.

I'm not here much but I can honestly say that I've been battling my own demons and you have been there for me and I'm sorry I haven't been there for you.

You are a trooper and I wish only the best for you and hubby

Xxx
 
@MajorHeidi, @waterman1, @Peaches, @wannabebrave, @JoeL, @Dmcfad2, @younghippie, @Jamie, @Hoppy Nanny, & @fulafoto
Thank you all for the overwhelming support & kindness you sent my way in response to my recent post. This is why & how BS works -- the universality, compassion, non-judgementalness, & caring is just so wonderful. I wish you all the best on your respective recovery roads as I make my uncertain way, but hopefully will close the distance. Working on it & not giving up.

Special shout-out to our dear Bill @fulafoto as he continues the countdown to his new life on Tuesday, Aussie time. We're all rooting for you!
 
@Vetgirl
Oh, Sally, sweetie -- please don't apologize! I know only too well how hard it is to be there for others when you're preoccupied, depressed, & anxious about your own issues. Coping is hard enough, let along expending energy for others. You have been so strong & so "there" on countless occasions with so many of us...

I hope your demons are few & far apart these days & that your life is better. If that's not the case & you are in the midst of battle, I believe you've shown you have the strength you need... platitudes, I know, but really meant.

Btw, your second paragraph really nailed my overall feeling. So well put... You're amazing. Come back when you can.
 
@dickinson
Thinking of you now & hoping for a peaceful outcome to the current crisis in your beautiful country. Fervently hope that this all goes Israel's way & that she emerges as strong as ever. And you, Devorah, may you & your family be safe... Wishing you all the best. Shalom.
 
Aw Ellen, this is so not what you bargained for six months ago when you were scared but so optimistic. And we all did our best to alleviate the fears and reinforce the optimism. I would feel like I'm all out of alleviation and optimism, but events in my own life recently make me still cast my vote for the eventually happy again scenario. There's gonna come a day when the dental work is done...and you DON'T have an infection... and a day when getting around is easier. You have already put the big A fear to rest now, and I truly know how much terror that must have caused you for a while.

Truth is, we all just hope for the best. Sometimes we get it. Sometimes we get it partway. Sometimes it eludes us, but we keep on trying for it. Just don't give up trying. This is a safe place to vent, a safe place to let sadness and disappointment and fear see the light of day. It changes nothing....but a safe place where people care means something. I care.

Sharon
 
@sharonslp
Sharon, I've always appreciated your particular wisdom & way you express yourself. No less now. Yes, we do hope for the best & most of the time THRs routinely go well with a few bumps along the way & somewhat varying recovery rates. I'm not gonna give up trying... I'm still aiming for more mobility & independence, for sure. Clearly, a lot of my problem feeling secure on the cane comes from my foot issues. It's really psychological at this point, but nonetheless real, & in PT the anxiety is sometimes overwhelming. I feel like such a baby when that happens.

Phooey! Never meant to write this much -- but as you said, this is a safe place to vent. And writing is a great catharsis. Thank you so much for posting -- and caring. I hope you know you're pretty special. And I hope life for you is pretty darn good!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom