THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette. Know you don't see this but from your posts you HAVE come a long way since your op.....you are moving around and you have got some feeling back in your foot and the pain levels are good. You are comparing yourself to others and you know from being on BS that everyone's recovery is so different....there are those that sprint into recovery, those that creep through recovery, the middle of the road recovery...all so different. Please don't worry about your 'log' leg....it does get better as time goes on....but you are only 13 days out and have had a set back....as for getting into a car.....no probs...put a large plastic bag on the seat and swivel in ( a word of advice...put socks on and take your shoes off as you get in..your feet glide in).... I had no advice other than in a pamphlet!! I also had no physio until week 9.... And that was only because of limp.....here in the UK they send you home after 3 days ,no PT and no rehab. Please don't worry...it will all come together. Love and hugs...Chrissie xxx




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny I haven't been writing back much because I've been too self-involved, but had to respond to say you're such a darling... To make me feel so much more at ease & give me assistance along with such caring & kindness.... You are too good to be true. I know you're right, of course, regarding recovery rates, but such self-doubt creeps in despite all the reading. The fear of being different, of something being wrong, and on & on. Wish I lived in the UK where it sounds like you go through this somewhat more matter-of-factky than we do, with all our PT & rehab. Chrissie, you made me feel better & I love you for it.

Ellen ❤❤❤
 
@shrinkette So glad to hear from you. I got overwhelmed about the PT thing myself -- I only did the home PT thing, but you DO get sort of mixed messages and encouragement to do more than you think you should. At one point I began to think I wasn't doing the recovery right, or not good enough or whatever -- you are right about the self doubt thing. I finally just decided to do it at my pace (slow) and quit worrying about what they thought. I doubt I'd have done well in rehab because I'm so stubborn (frequently to my detriment).

You've had some good response lately from your foot, no? Is it continuing to get better bit by bit? Is your cement leg getting less cement-y? I found my recovery to be slow but steady, tho sometimes I didn't notice small improvements until they became big improvements, if that makes any sense at all.

I think self-involvement is part of the process, especially since during the initial recorvery at least, we don't have much of anything else to be involved in. I'm trying to work myself out of that spot now, and trying to find something outside I can get interested in. It's a bit complicated, since I'm still not 100% and still really feel it on the right side if I overdo and I still worry I'll hurt myself or get that back issue stirred up again. Maybe I can find a class or something. My acupuncturist and chiropractor suggested Tai Chi, and I think I will look into that.

Love to you, dear friend, and you are in my thoughts an prayers, as always.

Milli
 
@Butterfly...you are so right...it is very much a self involvement process.....This THR /TKR business. I feel I became very self obsessed and even a bit selfish during this whole thing...especially during the first 1-8 weeks...but I think as time moves on and our body heals we move on and get back to more of our normal persona . I've a wonderful friend who has been battling cancer for a year....in our lovely chats she expressed the same sentiments that she spent the whole year thinking of herself.....and she is the most loving, giving person I know. We both have agreed that sometimes it's how we needed to be and accept it. Love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Ellen @shrinkette ...boy your thread has grown since I last saw it!!!! I'm not getting alerts to your thread so will fix that!!!!!

I'm sorry you feel a bit blue and that there hasn't been much improvement to your foot. I must be so frustrating.:hairpulling:

I am a lot younger than you and I didn't progress as fast as some of the people on BS. I was really tired and drained and I didn't have frankensteins daughters leg!!!!

I think you are doing really well and have come along well since day 1. You are still in the early stages. I agree with Jo that PT isn't that important at your stage and it will come for you when your foot wakes up

I'm glad your hubby is doing better.....I will keep you both in my thoughts for progress as each day progresses

Take care
 
@shrinkette So glad to hear that you are doing better and that you are being taken care of so well. Also glad your hubby is better. Hope each day brings continued improvement and that soon you will be able to do the things you want. Slow and steady wins the race my friend.
 
@shrinkette.....Baby steps, baby steps........we all recover at different rates.....I so hope I have the wonderful, quick, painless, fairytale.....then I woke up stories! I fear already not making the leaps and bounds that so many other hippies have made. I, even now am in "myself", I don't know if I can do 1/2 the stuff others or you have done so soon after surgery. I almost feel like I will be letting the others "down", if I am not so quick to recover from BTHR.......Well just keep taking those baby steps.....thinking of you!
 
Oh honey @put2pasture - please, please sweetie don't compare your recovery with anyone else. Every recovery is different and there really aren't any definitive milestones you have to achieve, only the ones you are able to achieve.

I made the terrible mistake post surgery of comparing my recovery to my surgical buddies and ended up in all sorts of trouble. I quickly came to the conclusion that I would 'dance to my own recovery timeframe' and it has worked a treat for me.

I am going to be following your journey closely xx
 
@put2pasture @Poppet @mystikfairy61 @Hoppy Nanny @Vetgirl @Butterfly. Am so appreciative of your writing & reassurances regarding recovery types & rates... I guess I got lulled into thinking most of our Bonesmarties spend 1-3 days in the hospital with varying degrees of discomfort; they take a few or many steps; make some bathroom trips; conquer steps, dressing themselves, in some cases a shower, get their pain managed to some degree, & go home where they rest, walk a little periodically, ice, medicate, try to sleep, watch a lot of TV, & slowly start learning to live happily with their new hip, albeit with various physical & emotional ups & downs. Nice. Exactly what I would've wanted & what I expected. Many go home to where they live alone!

Instead, I got out of the hospital on day 2, straight into a very good rehab to work on the "log leg" that's so heavy I can barely lift it and the totally unexpected numb foot, which hinders normal walking. I walked 110 steps twice today, but between the heavy leg & the numb foot I'm feeling down. I know the heavy leg is pretty normal. I don't understand if it just goes away by itself in time, or needs to be strengthened. I don't know when my foot's nerves will reawaken. I am still unable to get into bed by myself due to heavy leg; lots of folks say this & report sleeping in a recliner for awhile. Friday I'm going to a less intensive rehab for further work which I wouldn't get at home. Does this sound like your typical BS recovery? I know it's still early days... Maybe I'm too impatient. I would just like to go home to rest, elevate, & ice, but my level of functionality is not good enough & would present too much of a burden on hubby. It just seems to me this sounds very atypical, which makes me feel different, implying something negative. Stinkin' thinkin', I know.

Oh !! Have been being treated for a urinary infection bad enough for me to have been placed in isolation for days, as well as a mysterious bruise on my ankle which they apply AB cream to & wrap. I've been getting 2 kinds of AB IV med twice a day. Btw, I've never had symptoms!

So this is where I am. Impatient, annoyed, disappointed, a little scared about my foot, feeling fine otherwise. Very different from the usual recovery, no? Thanks for listening, guys. Guess I needed to vent. I'm sorry I haven't been contributing to you -- no energy yet. Love you all. Just can't seem to visualize the end of this.

Ellen
 
Sweetie, vent away. But listen, also. What you read here on BS is NOT necessarily typical. The folks who post here are a very tiny microcosm of the several hundred thousand hips done each year in the US alone. A lot of those folks have easy recoveries....just like you describe. A lot of those folks don't. A lot are JUST LIKE YOU! Nerves were disturbed; muscles were disturbed. A whole lot go into rehabs JUST LIKE YOU....because they do live alone, or because their spouse/SO is not able to handle the care. Do some folks manage alone? Yes....out of necessity....some do. But that is the exception, not the rule.

So I hate to break it to you, honey, but you are not different from the usual recovery. Not. At. All.
You spent 1-3 days in the hospital with varying degrees of discomfort. You took a few steps, and a few more, and now you're up to 110 several times a day. You make some bathroom trips; you get your pain managed to some degree; you rest, walk a little, ice, medicate, try to sleep, watch tv, and you are slowly learning to live with your new hip, albeit with various physical and emotional ups and downs. When there are UTIs and emotional downs, no one is happy yet.

Did you pay attention to Jo's response? If she heard anything atypical that she thought was a concern, she would be saying so quite clearly. Instead she said you are coming along just exactly normally. You are totally allowed to be impatient, annoyed, and disappointed at the numbness in your foot. But please please please focus on the fact that you are fine otherwise, and don't the fears take over. I know you can't visualize the end of this yet. But a lot of us can....six months from now I am certain you will have things to grumble about, but your numb foot won't be one of them.

No energy....don't sweat it. Your heavy leg will go away in time. You will be strengthening it because everyday you move around a little more. And everyday the soft tissue heals just a little bit more. That tissue was traumatized! Two more weeks....two more months....six months....it will actually be likely to take a full two years before the soft tissue is done with all its healing. As for rehab....Ellen, just watching you interact with everyone here on BS, it is obvious that you thrive on talking to people. I am thinking that rehab is far more "fun" in it's own strange way, than being at home with just your husband and worrying more about him than yourself.

Baby steps, girlfriend...baby steps.
And a hug.

Sharon
 
Ellen what has your doctor told you in regards to your foot and your recovery?
 
Hello, hello @shrinkette --

I'm so glad to see you posting and mending! I have not been on BS regularly for the past month or so, so I get "updates" in the form of reading weeks' worth of posts at a time. I have to say that despite your log/cement pillar/unwieldly leg, it's been really neat to see your progress! You've come through this way better than some of your earlier worries indicated you might (for example, the expectation of a rehab facility, but not for the cement leg reason). Instead, you're stepping and moving and... you did it! Is the leg numbness like trying to walk on a leg that has "fallen asleep", minus the pins and needles? I can see where that would be hard, not truly sensing where your foot is meeting the ground. My post-surgical numbness is limited to a surface area near my incision and kind of down my leg, where the I-T band would run. I say surface, because I have sensation on the inside, and it doesn't affect my gait, but a finger touch feels very odd indeed. The assistant told me it would heal, so, okay I guess!

I like @Poppet 's phrase above, where she speaks of dancing to her own recovery timeframe. It just has to be that way if any of us are to make sense of recovering from a major surgery. My dear sister-in-law, meaning well, I am sure, told me how her boss was "back at work two days after having a hip replacement." Now, apart from the fact that I am not sure she heard correctly, and therefore this would be as impossible as it sounds, I had to re-evaluate and say, "And this affects my recovery how?" It changed nothing-- in fact, rather than worry about how I wasn't living up to her superhuman expectations, I figured I'd push a big old "reset" button in her head by showing her a more typical recovery. And that band of "typical" is very wide, not to mention very rarely linear!

It's interesting, this trend to dismiss people from the hospital so quickly. If we were to poll people, wouldn't you think they'd find it more abnormal to send people home 24 hours after surgery than to let people recover a while in rehab? To be honest, I was nervous to go home, even without any complicating factors. I am glad you get great care in your facility, and I hope that your foot sensation comes back quickly, but you're already doing more walking than I told myself to do for a couple of weeks (maybe I hit that 110 steps over the course of a day, but it wasn't a big, concerted effort to exercise). I think you're tracking super well! And finally, getting in and out of bed was, bar none, my biggest challenge in the first couple of weeks (it got better). I think I had an advantage there because eventually I figured out a ridiculous-looking system that I never would have implemented had I had an audience! You'll figure out your own system, and this too shall improve.

Finally, a weak little analogy (discard at will): If this were a flu forum, and you had been hospitalized a little longer to rid yourself of a persistent infection, would you doubt your own strength and progress in your recovery, or would you accept that the bug hit you a little harder than some others? I don't think there's ANYTHING you should be doing differently, other than going easy on yourself, because your recovery has indeed been set into motion and you're on your way. :-) In a few months, when you're reaching other milestones on YOUR trajectory, the time spent in the early days in a facility may be more easily viewed as a great base and not as a consolation prize.

You're admired and loved on this forum, and your posts are so filled with the humanity that we all feel, but that we can't always articulate. Thank you for posting-- I hope you know just how much we're pulling for you. :-)
 
"Normal" is such a dangerous word. What is normal? Is it a subjective or objective analysis? Probably either, or both. Forget it. We're not all the same, and that's normal. I agree with the prior comment that the BS population is just a small subsection of the total population of THR patients. Is it a statistically representative sample of the entire population? I doubt it. My sense is that the demographic here is a bit different. We are left with the fact that our journeys are in some ways similar and in some ways different. You may have pulled the short straw @shrinkette to have these difficulties and challenges that not everyone has, but you'll get there. Remember the tortoise and the hare?? Who wins??
 
@shrinkette I agree with everyone. There is no normal when it comes to such a complex surgery. You may not realize it but you are making progress. Compared to your first days, you are moving more and you have less pain. So keep your chin up and feel all the love we are sending to you! ;) Peggy xo
 
hi ellen @shrinkette. I agree with everyone. maybe it would give you some perspective if you would go back and read your recovery thread from the beginning to see what's been happening and changing. interesting enough, people here are usually kept in the hospital for 5-7 days. add to that 5 more I spent in rehab, altho I could have stayed 10, and you'll see that you're right on some sort of schedule. hope things continue to improve. isolation doesn't sound so great, especially since you can't give pep talks to people around you, which I'm guessing you do. watching any good tv?
 
@sharonslp God, Sharon, you are so.... I can't even explain! You have a way of putting things, of stating certain obvious truths that I couldn't see, to make me feel better. You speak such wisdom, corny as it sounds. You made me cry from relief. You know how powerful that is? It's 8 am, the day"s barely started, & I already feel lighter in a way. Right now I actually love you for what you've taken time out of your day to express just to make me feel better. Suffice to say I don't know how to thank you. Just take care of yourself. ❤❤❤
 
@shrinkette Ellen, I have no good words of wisdom that haven't already been said. I think you're doing great! Sure, it's not as quick as you hoped, but in rereading your thread, you are making progress and are headed in the right direction. As someone else typed on here, slow and steady wins the race. Stick with us, we will be here through the good and bad days, encouraging you when you need it and celebrating with you as you continue to improve. You have been so supportive to so many on here, now is our turn to support and encourage you. Before you know it, you're going to be back out enjoying the warm Florida weather! Hang in there and know you've got the support, encouragement, prayers, and love of so many of us on here!!
 
@calikat in answer to your question, the doctor seemed relatively unconcerned & said feeling should come back -- but has no idea when. Could be weeks, months... Same for the folks here in rehab who take care of me: they all say it takes time, but should happen.
 
That is good to hear. I am so sorry that you had this complication, but it sounds like it is not that uncommon. I actually was told about the possible complication of drop foot from one of my consults prior to surgery. I do know that a nerve takes much longer to heal than soft tissue...or at least that is what I have been told. It is difficult not to worry, but it sounds like you have great care. Sending you healing thoughts. <3
 
@shrinkette, Ellen, I don't post much here anymore, but I read everyday and I am following your progress and I have seen your improvement from day one. I like when @nettie said "we are all not the same and that IS normal." That was profound to me. Hang in there, girl. I think you are doing great. I love to read of your little victories each day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom