THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I forgot to mention no pain meds available until today some time & no sleeping pill last night. All I got were 2 Tylenols 2 weeks and 3 days post-op.
 
@shrinkette , I hope things look better in the light of day. Why are you not getting your pain meds? That certainly is not helping things! Can you make it around on your own now? Perhaps you would be better off there. At least you would get some much needed rest! Or moving to a private room might help. Hang in there! We are all rooting for you!
 
@shrinkette. So sorry about your roommate, that can be so annoying! I'm also wondering why no pain meds especially at night! Hope you get a private room. Sending hugs. Peggy xo
 
Oh @shrinkette, my heart goes out to you. Please keep us posted and know we are all praying for you. Being at home might give you more peace of mind which in turn could aid your healing.
 
I'm certain that there isn't really anything that I can write that will be comforting or add any sense of great new optimism to your situation. It clearly sucks.
Please know that we all are happy to be here and root for you and read your posts when you need to vent.
Were it possible for me to stop by South Florida today and do a little advocating for you with the caretakers that you have, I would. If for nothing else, merely to have the questions which seem to be evading you answered.

Good luck, @shrinkette . I hope that we someday soon see some posts with at least slivers of light in them.

VERY sincerely: DrToonz.
 
Ellen~I am so sorry about your situation. I hope you can get the private room or at least change to a room with a nicer roommate. I personally think your doctor has some responsibility to at least talk to you over the phone about your situation. I would call his office and request that he call you.

Vent here all you want. Let us be your support network.

ETA And the pain med situation is unacceptable. You are barely two weeks out! Most of us were still on narcotic pain meds every 4 hours at that point. Ask to speak with a supervisor about it. I am angry for you. :tantrum:
 
Spent the whole night crying, tossing, turning, re-positioning my electric bed, always awake. Air-conditioning unit just outside room sounds like gigantic vacuum cleaner coming on periodically, about every 5 minutes. Haven't had a shower since night before op, scalp is so itchy I could scream. Did someone invite me to vent here?? I wanna go home!!! Maybe I should, & just let the chips fall where they may. But I put myself so far away...so confused. Will see how today goes & if I can change rooms.

@shrinkette , in what way would you not be better off at home?? Surely by now you should have been able to shower and you should be able to get a good night's sleep with the meds you need. Are you able to get in and out of bed by yourself using a tie or some sort of lifter for your 'log' leg? Can you perambulate around with your walker? Do you have aids at home such as a shower/bath bench? It almost sounds as though you having a crisis of confidence where you don't think you can care for yourself but I bet you can do better than what is being done for you now. Do you have access to home care where someone can come in every day or two to check on you? My dear Ellen, I think you're suffering way too much right now. I join the chorus of other supporters here and hope you are able to find some relief sooner rather than later. Very best wishes are coming from my heart.
 
@shrinkette First off, you should be the squeaky wheel with your surgeon's office. Make an appointment and insist he see you. You might throw in something about "patient abandonment" to get their attention. If your surgeon isn't following up on you, who in the world is responsible for your medical care?? Complain to the surgeon's practice manager or whoever is in charge over there. To me, it seems unconscionable to just leave you to languish in some nursing home with lousy care without even bothering to check up on you. Geez! I'd be mad as hell at that surgeon. He only saw you ONCE in the hospital? My surgeon, AND his PA came to see me every day I was in the hospital, and twice on the first post-surgical day!

Were I you, I believe I'd check myself out of there and go on home, unless they are doing necessary heart monitoring or treating other problems like that. But if you are just laying there trying to recover from the hip surgery, isn't there a way you could manage at home better than you are where you are? Could a friend or relative come in and help you part time or a part time nurse or helper? Seems like you could get some kind of help at home for the extra $100 a day it will cost for a private room. I'm sure you could get in-home PT, also.

I personally think you are getting a lousy deal all around! You are my dear friend, and I HATE to see you being treated like this!

Love to you, and you are in my prayers.

Milli
 
@shrinkette...Go right ahead and SCREAM>>>>>>>>>>SCREAM we are all here to listen....Is it possible to go home and have a nurse come??? AND YES demand to see you doctor...... I know these doctors schedules are really crazy but you are his patient...I know you feel confused Ellen but sometimes I think we have to really speak up...You have every right to Scream...and if you stay in that room tell him or her to shut the TV off..lol really..Oh Ellen it can only get better...vent here any time....You are in rehab to have people help you.....don't feel bad speaking up....its all about you.....hugs :kittykiss:
 
Hi Ellen! Clearly life is unfair, but you have done nothing to deserve this. All you can do at this point is to take control of the environment and disallow further damage. You are in a dangerous environment (skilled nursing units are well know for resistant bacteria ) so please do insist that anyone who comes near you washes their hands first. As for coping mechanisms, do not allow yourself the luxury of a negative thought. Your insurance company is paying big bucks for you to be there, so insist and demand a high quality of care. Pain management is a standard of care. Your success is dependent on it. You don't have to make friends with anyone. Concentrate only on your recovery. The only person you can count on is yourself, so be sure you are getting what you are paying for. Do your best. Give it your all. You will succeed! Your motivation is to get home. I am handing you Rocky's baton and you have to take it and run with it with all your soul. Any positive step forward counts! You need to fight you way home. You go! Sending you the spirit to rise up against an intolerable healing environment! Don't take any **** from anyone and I might add that a shower at this point would be a basic human right. Fighting for you all the way! Catherine
 
This seems totally unacceptable Ellen @shrinkette - I agree with everyone, become the squeaky wheel hon... There are some basic human rights such as prescribed pain meds and bathing, that are being ignored, and yes we are your support network!
 
everyone sounds very right to me...unless there are things we don't know. hoping to hear from you soon from the comfort of that new recliner that's waiting for you. this all sounds quite difficult.
 
Wow -- your concern is overwhelming. I appreciate all of it. Things have improved, however: re the evil roommate, I asked for a private room & was told none were available, but that they could transfer me to a different room. While debating the wisdom of jumping from a frying pan into a fire, I was told that my congenial roommate from the hospital's rehab could be paired with me as I had requeste since i knew she was coming. Done. My belongings were moved tout suite the next morning, & Marge & I reunited.

Pain meds came through early that morning. I met & was evaluated by a seemingly knowledgable doctor/physiatrist, & this morning met one of the physical therapists who was optimistic & hopeful that within the next two weeks I'd be surprised by my progress & on my way home. I'll be going home by then regardless.
Met the medical doctor assigned to follow my care here & loved his thoroughness, curiousity, advocacy for me, & humor. If I say I want something, I get it.

I will be setting up an appt with the surgeon tomorrow as well as transportation to him & plan to duly dump. I'm feeling better & more in control today & will be working hard to get better. I AM advocating for myself & hear you all loud & clear.

Ellen
 
[Bonesmart.org] Shrinkette Has Arrived!
@shrinkette, what a rough road recovery has been for you so far. Guess that means there's no where else to go but UP! I truly hope so. Sure is good to hear that things are improving, got pain meds, a great roommate, a good doctor and physical therapist. Now just to get on your feet and get going!!!

I'll be keeping you in my prayers and am sending all the healing vibes I can muster up. Take care of yourself and keep us posted. You know we care.

[Bonesmart.org] Shrinkette Has Arrived!
 
@shrinkette, that is a great post! You sound strong and in control. Good girl! May every day get easier for you in every way! Keep us posted!:friends:
 
@shrinkette : It's funny, but I await your updates with the anticipation of a kid. :)

I'm very excited for your new-found 'take-charge' attitude and your seeming great leap forward in confidence and optimism.
Congratulations.
Let us know how your new digs are and say hi to that new roommate for me.
Tell her that I demand she treats you well and let her know that I've requested that you reciprocate. :)
Yay!
 
Isn't it great what a difference a single day can make? Which means of course that there will still be down days as well as up ones, but I am hearing/seeing light at the end of this tunnel. I'm so glad the roomie situation is fixed....I was going to be advocating some stealth maneuvers involving electrical connections to a certain tv set. I cannot believe that there aren't policies in place at this facility to safeguard against that problem.....like using earphones if nothing else.

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom