TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

I just remind myself that this pain will eventually end whereas the pre-surgical pain only got worse. I distract myself by thinking about all the things I am going to do in the future on my new knees.
This is a really good approach. Recovery is certainly a slog but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, before TKR that light was a train bearing down on your mobility.
 
I am disgusted that I have gained more wt than I would like during this recovery. I had lost 11 pounds in the first month but have gained that back and more. This extra weight isn’t doing anything good for my joints either.
Oh my, I remember that same issue.. I was craving milkshakes like crazy. But still, try to be kind to yourself. Things will level out..
 
@Sks1997 The funkies come and go, don't they? I also lost 10 lbs initially and have watched it creep back on..makes me so mad at myself! I try to remember that this is like no other journey I have ever been on, and give myself a little break!
I go for walks, then my back hurts! I know my new gait is involved and it will most likely adjust itself out!
Let's hang in there, the future must be easier!
 
I had lost 11 pounds in the first month but have gained that back and more. This extra weight isn’t doing anything good for my joints either.
I can totally relate to this. I have gained 15 lbs since last summer. Some of it is sedentary knee replacement recovery and some of it is "eating like a moron" as a friend would say, during Christmas time. We've been back low carbing since Feb 1st, no sugar, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. It's harder to lose this time around, not sure why that is......
 
I’ve been eating like a moron for sure! Trying to get back to low carb eating which is how my body loses the best! I think when the weather finally gets warm and sunny, that will help with mood and motivation. We have snow today!
 
I’ve been eating like a moron for sure! Trying to get back to low carb eating which is how my body loses the best! I think when the weather finally gets warm and sunny, that will help with mood and motivation. We have snow today!
Hi @Sks1997 , alas, eating healthy is always a challenge especially when there are so much tasty alternatives around! Whereas I was fairly good during the holidays, my trip to Portugal and current trip to Hawaii ruined my routine and despite all the walking, I've taken in a huge surplus of calories! Once back home, I'll have to go back to my pre-op fitness routine to get as ready for knee #2 as possible. With that thought, I'll over indulge one more day! :)
 
@Sks1997 Funnily I was thinking of you this evening, since your return from your holiday you haven't posted as much, usually this is a good sign, that you are getting on with life, sorry to see that your back and knee is still giving you grief.
Strangely, I too have been thinking about losing weight, firstly being stuck at home during Covid lockdown didn't help and now recovery from this knee is stopping me from being active, the only activity I seem to do is my frequent trips to the kitchen cupboard looking for snacks.
I have promised ( famous last words) that I will start using my fitness pal app starting from tomorrow, to calorie count, back in 2018, using this app and walking, I lost 13 kilos (28.6 lbs) based on a 1200 Calorie intake per day. By calorie counting, I can eat most things, but as everything is written down its easier to control ones bad habits. I also allowed myself treats at the weekend (wine & chocolate )
Right now walking is not my forte, although my knee is far better than 3 weeks ago, I still haven't gained the confidence to walk very far.
I'm hoping by losing weight my knees will benefits as will my waist line..
 
@Sara61 Good to hear from you! My knee, back and hips have been so painful this weekend. It is very cold here and we’ve had a little snow . Looking forward to Temperatures in the high 60’s this week. I hesitate on posting because I’m not very good company right now. I do enjoy reading everyone’s posts!

I can so relate with the weight gain. I lost
55 lb a couple yrs ago and have gained some “fluff” during this recovery. I need to get myself back under control before I gain more and my joints don’t need the burden of extra weight.

I don’t think the chiropractor is helping my back. Was having spasms this morning in the car. I am hopeful of feeling better soon and looking so forward to Spring, my favorite season!
 
I can so relate with the weight gain. I lost
55 lb a couple yrs ago and have gained some “fluff” during this recovery. I need to get myself back under control before I gain more and my joints don’t need the burden of extra weight.
This is my situation too. I lost about 60 lbs in 2018-19 and was pretty good about keeping most of it off during the pandemic but that fluff is sneaky..... :skep:
 
Hello all! I am enjoying sitting out on my new screened in porch in this 71 degree weather. Love hearing all the sounds of nature as our porch almost sits in the woods. We will all enjoy it as we know we can still have snow! This entire week is supposed to be nice and I am going to enjoy it regardless what my knee does!
My husband had a fall on Tues and has broken ribs so he has NOT had a good week. He has drop foot which really messes up his walking. He is constantly tripping, especially on stairs or on uneven ground! He fell when he was outside with our 3 yr old granddaughter and she was scared to death because he yelled when he hit the pavement.
Hope everyone is doing well!
 
@Sks1997 I’m glad you’re enjoying a bit of Spring! I remember when we lived in Ohio and had a really warm day in March one year, we took TV trays out onto the deck and ate dinner outside. It was kind of nice, but the scenery in the woods was not impressive with no leaves on the trees, but we were eating outside! :happydance:

I‘m so sorry your husband fell and broke some ribs. :yikes:

By the way, I moved your post above to your thread, it seemed like maybe you meant to put it here. :flwrysmile:
 
71 degrees!!! I am SO jealous!!! We might hit the low 60s next week, can't wait!

I'm so sorry about your husband's fall and broken ribs! :sad:
 
Hello gang,
Just thought I would give a 7 month post op update. My knee is still very stiff especially when walking. Don’t notice it as much when sitting or in bed. Knee is still warm so I know there is still inflammation. If there is any swelling it isn’t visible.
I still have ”start-up” pain when I first rise from a chair or get out of car but after about 4-5 steps, I am walking pretty good. The popping has improved a lot. I can feel some mild popping when walking or riding my recumbent bike but it isn’t painful like it was a month or two ago. I do change positions several times through the night but able to sleep well and can sleep very well on my stomach. The stairs are still a challenge for me, especially going up. I know those darn quad muscles haven’t totally healed yet. The quad muscle above my knee hasn’t been going into spasms lately (YAY)
I do limp a little at end of day, especially if I walked a lot. It’s funny because sometimes I think I am walking normally and my husband or kids will tell me that I am limping.
I still take extra strength Tylenol a few times per week.
I am doing more around my house and I go up my stairs more. I used to try to limit the number of times that I would go up the stairs. I do the recumbent bike most days and do some yoga stretches.
It is still difficult to get up and down on the floor when I am babysitting with the grandkids but my desire to play with them over-rides my discomfort.
I am improving slowly but surely and I know that I will totally heal eventually! I am looking forward to a summer full of camping and time with the family. I’m on the verge of saying that this surgery was ”worth it”. LOL!


Update on husband: He is doing much better with the broken ribs!
 
What you are doing and going through is normal for only 7 months. Remember the average healing time is one year and you're only a little over halfway there. I think you are doing quite well! Enjoy those successes.
 
I have to admit I have that same "start up" pain when getting up from the couch after sitting awhile. Both knees are sore and stiff, it's hard to tell if it's the joints or the muscles immediately above them (quads). Walking around is pain-free, it's just that getting off the couch and first few steps.
 
Susie, I agree that most of the time it is my quad muscles bothering me the most. I have learned to live with the stiffness in and around my knee and at least it isn’t real painful. I am babysitting at my son’s and I am in a good amount of pain in the quad muscles tonight and just when I bragged on my last post about not having spasms, it made a liar out of me.
 
I agree with you both on the “ start up “ pain when I first get up after sitting for a long time. In my case, I think it’s a reminder to not sit for too long . My thighs are getting stronger, I can tell that when I’m in the tub, both getting down, & then back up again. Not totally there, but, getting better. We are walking daily now, about 1 1/2 miles, 1/2 hour, and I think that is definitely helping my thigh strengthening. The last two days were a challenge..... Very windy..... over 20 mph yesterday! Looking forward to today & no wind. Also, our beloved Farmers Market begins in another week! Another sign of spring on its way
@Sks1997 , I hope your husband is recovering & better soon. That sounds painful! Those falls can be scary. I wear a “stretchy “ brace on my leg when we walk, especially, in the event I should fall, I figure it would help protect “the knee”.
I hope you both have a lovely day... ours looks like a beautiful, sunny Colorado day... yay! @SusieQ, I hope you are taking care & not overdoing yourself, your energy sometimes amazes me!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom