TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

We have spent the entire day packing and getting ready for our trip tomorrow! It looks like we are going for a month instead of 12 days. We will be stopping to visit my SIL in Kentucky on way down for the weekend and then going to Gatlinburg for a couple days and THEN heading to FL hoping to have some sunshine and warm weather.
Will only be in car about 5 hr tomorrow which is good! We will still stop for some stretch and bathroom breaks I am sure.

Sara, you were talking about the wonderful red wine. I love red wine but have to be careful because the red can trigger migraines for me. I will probably have a few margaritas in FL. My friend we are staying with LOVES wine and she buys it by the case.
I am feeling like Ive already told you guys all this. I swear, I am losing my mind.

Ive gotten lots of steps in today and my knee is rebelling. I don’t know how I will do walking on the beach. I think it would be better to walk right by the water where the sand will be packed down. It’s hard to walk in the sand on the beach when your knee is in good shape. I am still very unstable.

Does anyone on here have a Blink security system? We just hooked one up today and it seems to be working well but I don’t understand all the storage stuff.

I have taken Aleve and Tylenol several times this week. My knee hasn’t been happy And it isn’t because I’ve been so active. I really do think the cold is affecting it.

I’m off like a herd of turtles. Sweet dreams to all!
 
@Sks1997 Wishing you a fabulous holiday and a Safe road trip along the way.
I would stick to the waters edge as the sand is quite a physical workout for the knees, also its very uneven, I usually ( when I'm able ) walk weekly on the beach but always either on the decking or down by the sea, rarely on the sand.

We usually drink Red wines in the winter, normally white or green wine in Summer, I love champagne but my husband can't stand it, so I only drink it on special occasions or if I have friends round will I open a bottle or 2.
The green wines are very light and lovely served iced cold, they are called "Vinho Verde" basically this is the early harvest of young grapes.

Your knee is also picking up your stress of getting everything ready for your trip, once you are on your way it will relax, just make sure to allow plenty of leg room so that you can move it about in the car.

The warmth of the Florida Sunshine will do you wonders overall. Happy Travels my friend xx:surfer:
 
@Sks1997, enjoy your long-awaited trip and all the Florida sunshine. Hope your knee enjoys its vacation!
 
My knee hasn’t been happy And it isn’t because I’ve been so active. I really do think the cold is affecting it.
I totally agree. Two years ago we went through record-breaking low temps. I had to shovel snow from the walkway for about an hour. It was -11* and my 3-year-old knee threw a fit for about 2 hours. It even felt like the implant was cold! After everything warmed up my angry child knee went back to pain-free. Now I know to wear extra leggins in very cold weather.
 
I forgot to add in my recovery thread that the other day I sat out on my patio in the sun and about mid-50s temps. I wanted to watch the birds at the feeder and also the hummingbirds. The sun went away and it got cold so I got up to go in. BOY was my knee STIFF!!! It did not like that cold at all!! Hoping you will have lots of time to sit in the warm sun and soak up some of that heat for your knee. I imagine it will feel glorious! Enjoy your stops along the way....

@Sara61 I have never heard of green wine! It sounds lovely for a hot summer day.

I have a friend who loves red wine but can't drink it because the tannins give her a headache. She can't even have white wine that has been aged in oak barrels, it has to be stainless....
 
Last edited:
@Sks1997 . Enjoy your trip! It really sounds wonderful, & I know you’ve been looking forward to it. Nice & warm, too. We’re hoping for a trip to Texas at some point this year, either for a visit with my sister & her family, & my brother & his wife, or, possibly a family reunion. Remains to be seen what we can work out with the 4 siblings & families. I do treasure them all. I bet that warm climate will be good for your knee.. Safe, happy travels!
 
Hello all! We are in Gatlinburg for our last night. I walked almost 10000 steps today and that is the most I have walked since having my TKA. I walked about half of that this morning and had to come back to our room because I was in so much pain. I elevated my knee and took a new medicine that my sister in law gave me. It is a combination of ibuprofen and Pepcid. I’ve never been able to take Ibuprofen because it irritates my stomach so badly but this pill seems to be working so far. After eating out for supper, I am back in the room with my knee elevated. My husband is off exploring in town.
It has been chilly here and looking forward to some better weather in Florida. We will take off early tomorrow morning and arrive in late afternoon.
Today was my 46th wedding anniversary! Hard to believe it’s been that long. I married at the ripe age of 17.
Hope everyone is doing well! Hope you are indeed turning the corner Sara!
 
Happy Anniversary! I hope your knee feels better tomorrow and that your time in Florida is warm and wonderful!
 
I walked about half of that this morning and had to come back to our room because I was in so much pain.
Oh, Sharon, please be careful. You are not healed enough to be doing this much. I went away for a weekend when I was 4 months post op and totally overdid things trying to keep up with our friends. By the time I got home my ROM was shot. It took a month for me to even begin to improve my ROM again. I was hoping the warmer weather in Florida would help you, but I don’t think it will do much if you overdo while you’re there. When you get to Florida I really hope you enjoy your time there, but you are not 100% healed yet, and you really need to keep that in mind. Don’t forfeit healing for a temporary activity, you’ll have plenty of those in the future. :console2:
Today was my 46th wedding anniversary! Hard to believe it’s been that long. I married at the ripe age of 17.
Happy Anniversary! This year is 46 years for us, too. Sadly, my husband didn’t make it this far, but it will alway be our anniversary, whether we are together or not. :roseshwr: I was 20 when we got married. You’ve done well maintaining a marriage this long, starting out at the tender age of 17. Well done!
 
Happy Anniversary, Sharon! :loveshwr: My husband and I are going on 31 years and I find that hard to believe too. I was 23 when we got married, which seems so young these days. (My daughter is 23 and nowhere near marriage)

Take care of yourself and don't overdo it!
 
@Jockette I paid yesterday and last night for all those steps and a lot were on uneven ground. The rest of the trip will be in car and in FL. I plan to do lots of resting in FL.
I refused to go back out last evening with my husband.
Yes, you will always treasure your anniversary! I am sure you have many special memories with your husband! So sorry for your loss!
 
Happy Friday Eve!
We made it home between two different snow and ice storms. As much as I enjoyed our trip, I am ready for my own bed.
We had great weather in FLorida, mid to high 70’s mostly with a couple low 80’s days. It was a very restful time except for being in car twice for wayyy too long and My knee is still “whining”. I didn’t walk on beach but ate at a couple restaurants that were beachfront. I had one day that I overdid the walking and activity.
We got to spend time with my sister and brother in law before going to FL and on way home.
The day we left Florida to drive to KY, we had a terrible time getting through Atlanta. It was very stressful and I had thought my husband understood that we would only drive 6-7 hrs and then stop and stay in hotel for night. BUT NOOOOOOO, he didn’t want to stop and we were in the car almost 13 hrs. I was so angry at him and so stressed driving on those curvy roads in the dark that I cried for a long way. And it will take my knee several days to recover. Thank goodness todays drive was only about 6 hrs.
Hope everyone is doing well! I need to catch up on the posts!
 
Yes Vida, I felt like doing that myself, lol! He falsely believes that I should be all healed by now and that I should be able to do everything. He is a difficult and stubborn man. Sad but true!
 
@Sks1997, your husband owes you big time! He now needs to wait on you hand and foot until you recover from your drive home. I’m glad your time in Florida was warm and mostly restful. Welcome home!
 
@CamGram Thanks, but unfortunately , that won’t happen. But I will be fine. I am glad to be home and in my own bed. It was mostly restful except the two very long car rides.
 
Take a baseball bat to his knee and ask him how it feels. I think it’s similar to getting a tkr and you’ve had 2. Maybe both knees? I just had my 50th anniversary so I get it. Not many of us make it that long. And we do get set in our ways. I pretty much struck gold but I would kill him if he made me sit in a car for 13 hours straight. Hope you bounce back fast.
 
Quietly remind him what comes around goes around... some men can be so stubborn, especially if they have never had surgery of any kind, fortunately a few medical friends of my husband have told him exactly where I'm at & that this knee will take longer to recover.
So glad you enjoyed your time in Florida but there is nothing sweeter than ones own bed.
Take time now to rest that exhausted knee, you know the drill my friend, stay warm & safe xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom