Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

How does it feel when you cross your legs, @Sks1997 ? Is it comfortable or does it hurt?

I used to sit with my knees crossed all the time. While I am able to do it now, I don't find it comfortable any more. )Which is probably okay since I've been told it raises blood pressure and inhibits circulation. :no-fin: )
 
I cross my legs at the ankles but seldom knee over knee. I find that uncomfortable. I'm sure many others can do that without any pain at all. Eash knee is different!
 
I can sit with my legs crossed if I'm in a chair but not crossed "criss-cross-applesauce" on the floor anymore.
 
Not much to report as far as improvement for my 8 Mon post op update!
I manage to do most of the things that I want to do but have to pace myself. Darn quad is still weak and I continue to have spasms if I do too much. I would still say that walking is uncomfortable and ascending stairs is downright painful. And just in the past few weeks, my knee just buckles at times. I have no warning that it is going to happen and luckily I haven’t fallen. It hasn’t happened much thank goodness!
Still having to take over-the-counter pain med several times a week. My saving grace is that my knee/leg doesn’t bother me at night so I sleep well.

Hope everyone is doing well in your recoveries! We are actually having a springlike weekend here in Indiana which I love! Have spent a lot of time on my new porch this week!
 
I’m sorry your improvement is not moving along at a faster pace. :console2:
 
I hope all is continuing to go well, @Sks1997 . Hoping that no news is good news! :flwrysmile:
 
Hello everyone! We have a gorgeous and very warm day today in Indiana! It’s like we go from Winter to Summer anymore. I am finally enjoying my new screened in porch!

I am still healing and dealing with my quad muscles and my knee being pretty painful with stairs or any activity on my feet over about 20 min. My knee continues to be warm! I am believing for healing. I will be 9 Mon out on the 23rd of this month.

I am doing thigh strengthening exercises as I can tolerate and trying to be more active in general! I am worn out today as we babysat yesterday. The one year old is crawling all over the place and the almost 4 yr old is a busy little bee with the funniest imagination.

Hope everyone is doing well! So happy that camping season is here. We will be going out soon for our first trip!
 
Its good to hear from you @Sks1997. It's not good to hear that you continue to manage day time pain. I hope it resolves soon.
 
@hawk2go Thanks much! I have been discouraged at times over this recovery but I am trying to stay positive and do all I can to allow healing to take place and proceed!
I have even doubled up my collagen dose and trying to eat enough protein daily! There are many things that can slow healing. At least I am NOT a diabetic!
 
I have even doubled up my collagen dose and trying to eat enough protein daily! There are many things that can slow healing. At least I am NOT a diabetic!
Yeah, my OS recommended lots of proteins with some specific amino acids that I cannot recall at the moment. I ate those foods pre-surgery and stocked up for easy access post surgery. I never thought about the connection of healing, diabetes and TKR. My A1c was a bit high pre-surgery and the team made a big deal of getting it checked and making sure I didn't roll into full on diabetes. With that healing connection, their concerns make more sense.
 
My goodness the summer has gotten away from me! Haven’t been here since middle of May!
Sara, been hearing of your horrific temperatures during the heat wave! Hoping you are safe!
My healing process is still VERY slow. Still dealing with unhealed quad muscles which I am doing strengthening exercises for daily. Still have pain with walking more than about 20-30 min and stairs are still painful. But I believe it is all related to my quads not being healed! Several months ago, I think about April, I got in incredible pain in low back and hips! Most likely due to limping and sitting too much over the winter. Multiple problems showed up on my back X rays but my hips just had mild arthritis. I started going to chiropractor and went a few weeks but wasn’t getting relief. I have started my own “therapy” and doing exercises to stretch and strengthen my back and hips!
I am able to do most things, I just do them in stages. I am thankful for that.
I am still working on my diet trying to eliminate sugar and eat plenty of protein. I fluffed up during this recovery so also working on wt loss.
Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the summer! I have spent so much time on my screened in porch. It is so peaceful and quiet! We’ve enjoyed a few camping trips with our kids and grandkids also!
 
Hi there. I feel your pain. Am now at 8 months and still not in great shape. My OS was thinking of scoping the knee to see why my pain is still so great but on examination said it was too angry and swollen and inserting a scope would make it worse. Tried 2 months of oral anti inflammatories, which made me ill, now he has me trying a prescription strength diclofenac rub. I have stopped all physio and am just doing minimal walking and light stretching. Looks like I will be one of those who takes the full year. Meanwhile my OS also suggested a Mediterranean diet ( we already eat that way) plus cold showers and cold water dunking to help my inflammatory system settle down. Oh joy. I will spend lots of time in the pool as soon as the Vancouver rain stops. Hope your quads settle down this summer. You can always join me rolling in the snow this winter.
 
@Vida
Yep, I’ve also concluded that I am in the “slow group” and that it could even take longer than a year.
My family doc tried me on Celebrex (really was for my back/hips) but I really didn’t see much difference and if I don’t see a pretty good result from a med, I won’t stay on it and risk bad side effects. I feel that I was on the verge of a clinical depression back in March-May. The pain was getting to me, I had kind of gotten used to the knee stuff and then my back and hips started in. It has been a long journey.
I am sorry that you have also had a very challenging recovery! My biggest fear is having to have a revision of my first knee that was a partial replacement because I have almost as much pain in it as my recent TKA. It would only make sense that the other side will need replaced!
Anyway, I have days with just mild-moderate pain and other days moderate to severe pain. The days that we have babysat, I am aways in great pain in the evening. This journey has given me much empathy and compassion for people who deal with chronic long-term pain.
I pray often for my healing and hope to get up some morning and NOT walk like Frankenstein. Mornings are very bad for pain and tightness. I will be keeping you in my prayers!
 
I hear you with the grandchildren. Yesterday I hosted a small family birthday bbq for my 98 year old mum, attended by my lovely, crazy 3 year old grandson. Thank goodness I have a great supportive husband. Will report back on the efficacy of the specially compounded prescription strength diclofenac. So far I think it relieves my quad pain but not the excruciating knee catching. So might help you.
 
We hadn't heard from you in a while and I was hoping you were off living your life. I hate to hear you are still having pain. Having empathy for others is a wonderful gift that you have received. I pray your knee gets out of its angry stage and lets you enjoy your life. :prayer:
 
@sistersinhim
Thank you so much! I always thought that I had a lot of compassion/empathy from all my yrs working as a Hospice/oncology nurse. It’s quite a different story when you yourself are dealing with serious pain. I actually was in a great deal of pain when I hired in as a Hospice nurse and had my first PKR a year after in 2016.
I am looking forward to having a much lower level of pain and better mobility and endurance! I have so much that I would still like to do and can’t right now!
 
I’m sorry to read that you haven’t had a lot of improvement yet. :console2:
 
@Jockette thanks! I feel like I was set back with the back/hip pain! Fun times getting old but better than the alternative! I just can’t believe it’s taking my quad muscles this long. Will be a year next month!
 
I'm also sorry to hear you are still having so much pain. :sad:

My kneeiversary is within a week of yours. While it's nice to hear from you, I wish it were to hear you are doing fabulously well and no pain! :console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom