Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

@Sks1997, following your posts helped me so much after my first TKR that I wish I could return the favor. Perhaps I should send my sweet hubs to take care of you for a few weeks? Your husband could watch and learn!

If you can’t find someone else (friend or family) to take care of you, just pay people to do whatever you need! I’ve paid people to do all kind of things - from the mundane to the highly skilled - that neither my husband nor I feel like doing. The important thing is to take care of yourself right now. And I’ll be here, cheering you on from the sidelines!
 
First, Happy Anniversary! We’re just slightly ahead of you, in April we will celebrate our 52nd. I was 25, & he was 30...seems so very young now!

I’m glad you had a good visit with your family, and some of that warmth to soak up in Florida. And I’m so sorry about that long drive! Our planned trip to Texas is fairly long, we generally break it into 2 days, staying overnight a little over halfway. But most of it is relatively easy driving, & some really pretty scenery. Do take it easy & rest plenty, hopefully that will get you back on track before too long. And I agree, your own bed always feels Soooo good when you’ve been gone. Enjoy that! And welcome home!
 
@CamGram oh my, what kind words! None of us realizes how much our words can mean to others. Thanks for sharing that!

I will only be doing minimal things around the house for a few days! I was on the couch last night for several hrs with my knee elevated high!

Have a great day!
 
I’m glad you are home safely but I bet you miss that lovely warm weather! Pamper yourself as best you can!
 
I am 3 months post op and we did 8 hours in the car this past weekend! It took me a few days to recover! I told my hubby that we are going to do 6 hours tops from now on! He agreed, as his hip is bothering him now! Isn't it great getting old, and add in new knees?
I hope you get rested up, and next time, put your foot down:tantrum2:
 
@Jockette Thanks! That’s for sure, came home to a snow/ice event. The ice was bad last night and we beat it home at least! We had great weather in Florida! Understanding why people love to go there for the winter! We were there before the spring breakers got there and it was still crowded everywhere.
 
Glad you are home safe and sound. Those windy roads in the dark, that would have done me in too. I would get so carsick unless I was the one driving. :sick: That weather sounds heavenly. It's been cold up here in the PNW, 20s and 30s, that's cold for us!

There's nothing like coming home to your own bed! :sleep:
 
Great that you're back home. Now, it's time to give that baby knee some TLC! It has been through some rough times.
 
Did grocery shopping yesterday and walked too long in the store! Going to take a few days for it to recuperate from the FLORIDA trip.
I was 6 months post op on the 23rd. I will post about my progress later!
Our temps are going up into the 40’s tomorrow and into the 50’s later in week. Yay!
 
I found that when I did an extra thing one day if I rested the next I'd recoup much better. It seemed like that day of rest in between allowed the knee to settle back down.

Our temps are yoyoing like crazy. One day near 80 the next night in the 20s. No wonder people are coughing and sniffling!
 
Here is my experience at 6 months post op of Rt TKR. It is less uncomfortable to walk now but if I walk more than about 30 min, I am in severe pain. I still have “start up” pain when I rise from a seated position but it goes away after 4-5 steps. I still have the popping or the feeling of popping when I walk but it doesn’t seem to bother me as much. Going up stairs is still challenging but not as painful as a month ago. My hips and low back are still bothering me maybe as much as my knee. I have attributed that to all the limping before and after my surgery messing up my gait. I don’t limp a lot now but find myself limping just a little at the end of a day being on my feet a lot.
My progress has been very gradual but at least I am slowly showing improvement! I
Get impatient and angry sometimes that I am still dealing with pain and other issues but thanks to you all, I know that I am “normal” and only half way through this recovery! I am blessed to have found this group and you all ARE my support.
 
Of course I left off one of the most frustrating things that is still happening. My front quad muscle is still not healed and goes into spasm pretty often especially when ascending stairs!

On a positive note, we’ve been over at our son’s babysitting and he made the comment that I am walking a lot better! Tomorrow IS going to be a rest day for me!
 
Last edited:
It is a long journey isn’t it? It is a challenge sometimes to be patient & accept “where we are” in our TKR journey. I keep telling myself- one day at a time & I have to tell myself this again each day. You have a good attitude and you are inspiring! So please know that you are a blessing to others on here. :roseshwr:
 
My hips and low back are still bothering me maybe as much as my knee. I have attributed that to all the limping before and after my surgery messing up my gait.
I wonder if the the problem you are having with your quads is the root of your back pain.

I had something similar -- low back and hip pain. In my case, my PT said it was being caused by weak adductors and gave me some new exercises to work those muscle groups. He also recommendation massage therapy. I've being doing both for several weeks now and am seeing improvement.

Back pain is soooo debilitating. I hope you can find relief soon! :console2:
 
Hey gang!
I am still in such pain in my hips and low back. I went to chiropractor this week and I usually get relief from him but I don’t think it helped at all. Of course that was just one adjustment. I may go back once more. He was the second person to tell me that at least my legs are equal in length. I am wondering if I could have tendonitis in my hip flexors. I also have Rt groin pain off and on and that has went on the whole recovery.

I don’t normally have problems with back pain either but have had it since surgery. If I don’t get relief at the chiro, I may bite the bullet and go to my NP who acts as my Dr.

Hope all of you are doing well! I am behind reading posts. We are heading up to stay the weekend with our oldest grandson here in a bit. He won’t even be there much so maybe I can get caught up on the posts!
His brother is playing in a basketball tournament in Michigan so my daughter and her husband are going to it! Have a great weekend!
 
Last edited:
I am still amazed at how much discomfort (and sometimes pain) that I am still in when I am coming upon 7 Mon since TKR. know in my brain that it is a yearlong or more recovery but I just get sick of it I guess. And my quad front thigh muscle must still be healing and walking is just uncomfortable.
I am able to walk without a limp unless I overdo and then I may limp a little.
I am anxiously awaiting the day when I don’t think about my knee when walking or going up the stairs.

Don’t mean to be negative, just sharing my experience and feelings!
 
It’s really frustrating to be one of the ones who still has quite a bit of pain at this point in recovery, while others are just moving along and improving all the time. I was like you, too.. :console2:
 
@Sks1997 that’s not negative, it’s honest! With a six-month old right knee and a three-week old left knee, I am in pain more often than I want to admit but I know it’s all part of my recovery. I just remind myself that this pain will eventually end whereas the pre-surgical pain only got worse. I distract myself by thinking about all the things I am going to do in the future on my new knees (hiking, biking, long walks, playing with my grandkids). And, of course, the activity that most terrifies my husband - long shopping trips with my daughter (we have been known to do some real damage in our favorite stores!). You’re doing great; healing just takes a lot more time than we want to give it!
 
@CamGram Very good attitude and reminders! I am going to try to get back to doing some yoga poses and stretching which are good for my entire body!
It would make sense that this issue with my quad muscle could affect my hip giving me pain.


Just went to chiropractor again and I seem to have a problem in my lumbar area which is where my pain is.

Got to spend the day with our younger grandchildren yesterday. Our granddaughter who is 3 loves to eat at the Mexican restaurant better than McDonalds! We all got to eat there for supper! I am disgusted that I have gained more wt than I would like during this recovery. I had lost 11 pounds in the first month but have gained that back and more. This extra weight isn’t doing anything good for my joints either.

Have a great day everyone!
 
Back
Top Bottom