TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to hear you see improvement and progress. I know it feels good to ride your bike without pain. :yahoo:

The first time I had my back adjusted, I felt like a "new" person! :yes 4:
 
Wow Natalie, you must have been ready to do the happy dance after riding your bike without pain!! I might have to bite the bullet and see a chiro for my back, seeing your response, mine is worse @ L3-4, and L5-S 1. Hope it continues to feel better. Keep us posted on your MRI.
 
Did it again today, rode bike for 25 minutes outside... and was not sore... it felt so good to be able to do that.
I woke up this morning with some pain, esp. up the thigh near hip bone, or pelvic bone I guess. Anyway, after I went potty, it stopped... Chiro says it's all connected, and he can fix that, he also told me to take some magnesium at night (400 mg).. and I started taking ONE gummy fiber at night... I get all stopped up every other day, so hoping this will help..
 
Well, an update... I have been to the Chiro now 3x and I think he has helped a bit... but.. I am having an MRI of my lower back on Monday, and made an appointment with a gastro guy on Friday...
My pains in my knee, thigh, abdomen still exist.. I did ride my bike today about 25 minutes... still take Tylenol/Advil 2 to 3 times a day... something is wrong, and I dont' think it's coming from the knee now, it's somewhere else, perhaps a pinched nerve in my back, or somethin in my colon... I am checking both out.. I am so tired of pain....
 
Hang in there, Natalie. I'm glad that you are continuing to have things checked until the source of the pain is found.
 
Chiropractic treatment is a long term thing. Often you don't get the benefits for some weeks.
 
I am going to get the MRI on Monday, and it will tell if there is a pinched nerve causing all this pain that I have been having, but the colon, potty, constipation, gas thing is also bothering me... has been since surgery, so don't know what is going on, but hope the MRI shows something so I don't have to go to Gastro guy..
Feeling a bit better today, so far this morning, woke up with minimal pain, some discomfort until I went potty, going to try and ride bike again.. still take advil/tylenol cocktail a couple of times a day.
 
Natalie, good luck with the MRI on Mon. The not knowing is the worst, isn't it? Right away we think the worst, it is our nature I think. Keep us posted, and take care. We are all thinking about you!!
 
Natalie, good luck with the MRI on Mon. The not knowing is the worst, isn't it? Right away we think the worst, it is our nature I think. Keep us posted, and take care. We are all thinking about you!!

UPDATE...
Had MRI on Monday, going today to Chiro, says it doesn't look terrific... will find out.. see the Ortho guy next Wednesday, 3 WEEKS from when he ordered the MRI, does that stink!!! Anyway, see the Gastro guy on Friday.. The Chiro suggested I take MAGNESIUM 600 mg, and for the last 2 days, was bloated and gassy and terrible abdomen pains, so stopped that... (was for not being able to go) so I am basically getting no where, my thigh up the IT band stil hurts and the knee at 7 - 8 PM ( on a clock).. so trying to get to the bottom of this... very puzzling...
 
Natalie, sure hope you get some answers soon. Seems like it is taking forever to get a diagnosis. Hang in there and know we are thinking about you and praying for a good outcome.:friends:
 
Natalie, it is so frustrating!!:hairpulling: At least you will see gastro tomorrow!:scratch:Good luck in am!!
 
Saw the ORTHO guy today, now keep in mind, this pain, from thigh to shin, down both shins, knee at 7 PM (tkr), abdominal pain (lower abdomen).. has been going on since October 2011.
Today, the Ortho doc says, L3,L4,L5, From the MRI show pinching of a nerve that is causing all this pain...hmmmmm, here I thought it was the TKR...
SO, PT has been ordered, and he gave me the choice to do an EPIDERAL of the lower back. OK, going to do that.. has anyone had one, if so, what is YOUR experience, did it help?
 
Hi Natalie! If I were you I would check with my general practitioner first...what does he think? He can order the necessary tests, if you have already, please disregard this post!
 
Hi Natalie! If I were you I would check with my general practitioner first...what does he think? He can order the necessary tests, if you have already, please disregard this post!

The GP will monitor my diabetes, but the Ortho Guy is the only one that can order the epidural, the GP would send me to one anyway....
This Ortho guy is another one, not the one that did my surgery.
 
Natalie,

I have some experience with epidurals. I generally need to have them about every 6 mos for Thoracic herniated discs(Dr do not think it is bad enough to do surgery just yet) and very low back Sciatic inflamation.( This may be causing some of the tenderness in my knee but have to wait until May to have the injections again, they can only be done every 6 mos) They are the only thing to relieve my pain and keep me walking.
I also had to have them after my 3rd cervical fusion to relieve the pain after surgery, once we got that in check it has been fine now.

For me they are no big deal, I am so used to them now. But they really do work for me. I look at it like a shot here and there sure is better than more surgery.
 
OK, so do they sedate you? OR Just numb the area and then give they shot using xray (fluoroscope)??
Did it hurt?
Thanks for the input..
 
Local, no sedation, and it's normally uncomfortable rather than painful.

I've assisted at numerous such procedures over the years, some patients coming back time and again. So in dialogue with them and the surgeon I've learned that some work like a charm, others have a minor or temporary effect and a few do nothing at all. It's very unpredictable.
 
OK, so do they sedate you? OR Just numb the area and then give they shot using xray (fluoroscope)??
Did it hurt?
Thanks for the input..

Natalie,

I have a choice to be sedated or not, I choose to have the versed injection(kind of like a valium) to just relax but this must be thru an IV and could also have fetanyl but we usually do not use that. Then where they will put the EPI is locally numb with Lidocaine(or something similar to that). Then the shot goes in with them using the fluroscope. I don't think it hurts since you really are numb, but it is a bit uncomfortable. When you are done they take you right back out and test your vitals if they are okay you are all set to leave. If you have any discomfort from the injection itself I am told to put ice on it for the first 24 hrs.

Please remember it may take a few days for you to see the results, mine have sometimes taken up to a week to really take full effect.

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
You can PM me if you like.
 
if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
You can PM me if you like.
Oh please don't use PMs. Information you shaire like this is vital for the forum. There just might be people visiting the forum who are desperate for that very bit of information!
PMs and emails for personalized help are not community oriented
 
Josephine,

Sorry I suggested that, I just thought since this was a bit off topic we shouldn't clog up the forum. Will keep things here on the board.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom