TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natalie, sorry to hear you are having pain. Just when we think we have gotten past these days they creep back. All I can recommend is the usual drill, rest, ice and elevate. Take it easy for a few days and see if it helps. Sometimes I think these knees just have to dictate their recovery timeline, no matter what we do. Hang in there, you will come through this just fine.:friends:
 
thanks for the feedback, I am just so frustrated between the steel band feeling and the cramping, I will continue to keep hope in mind, that this will end some day, hopefully soon, and I will be able to enjoy my NEW KNEE!!!
 
"double Tylenol"? How much is that in mgs?

I mean 2 500mg and 2 200mg advil at one time.

Has ANYONE done accupuncture to help with pain? I am going today to see if this woman can help with my terrible cramping in my shins and calves, but mainly it's the shins.

The OS assisstant also told me it might be that my PES BURSA (not sure of spelling) muscle might be inflamed... perhaps a cortisone shot would help.... that is where I am having pain at 7PM (on a clock) on my knee (if you look at me).. this is all a guessing game as of now...still the steel band thing.
 
Natalie the tight band thingy does seem to go on forever, but keep the faith, it eventually lessens and lessens until its almost gone. 16 months nearly and its barely there at all.

It does not interfere with my normal everyday life at all, it just reminds me that this WAS my bad knee, and now life is so good, the benefits far outweight any negatives, which I know for sure will be gone one day soon. :yahoo:

Hope you get some relief from your pain and discomfort. Keep posting..:friends:
 
Went to the accupuncture person today, she seems to think it's a ligament that was put out of place with the surgery that is causing all my pain below the knee on the outside and the pain up my quad/ and or IT band into the upper thigh by torso, and shin splints are being caused by my walking differently because of pain, and so she treated me, I am going again tuesday.. here's hoping that whatever she did with her magic needles will help...
 
Interestingly, the accupuncture seems to have helped, got rid of that pain that I have been having for the most part from the knee up my quad to the hip flexor area.. and the pain at 7 PM in my knee and the steel band below seem to be less... going Tuesday, she is going to work on my terrible shin splints (or pains).... hoping she can do wonders there, and my tingling numbness in my right fingers (she claims is in my neck) and the shin thing is in my back...
Would not that be great if she could get rid or reduce the pain there?
 
...hoping she can do wonders there, and my tingling numbness in my right fingers (she claims is in my neck)

Hi Natalie

I get tingling numbness in my fingers and it does come from my neck. My physio works on my neck, and my fingers come right. I know its not knee related, but thought you'd like to know. Good luck.
 
I have a tendency to believe her, I know its not the knee, the tingling in my fingers.. that is something else all together, probably from the neck.. just hope she can get rid of the shin pain, can't hardly walk, and I think it's the back, due to my walking differently after the surgery.. just guessing.
 
Isn't it amazing the things that change following this surgery. I reckon I can reach higher now. The other day I managed to get something from a high shelf that pre surgery I couldnt' have done.
 
Bringing up to date, I have had 3 accupuncture sessions. She has done the needles in both legs to stimulate circulation... which she claims is the cause of the shin pain. She is using the TENS type unit on both legs, as well as heat.
She gave me a TENS unit to use at home 1x a day for 15 minutes. She wants me to massage the legs using a downward movement from top to bottom, until the skin turns red, to get blood flowing... I am following what she says... is it better? I can honestly say YES, things are better... I will give her another couple of treatments and see how things go. I have stopped riding my bike for the time being, not to aggravate the knee. The pains in the "steel band" area are less... she claimed that there was a ligament that was out of alignment and she manipulatedl/massaged it back into place.. could that be?????

Anyway, I continue to use heat on the shins, and massage... so we shall see what gives in a couple of weeks.
 
Wow, Natalie, that is great to hear that the acupuncture seems to be helping. I don't think I've ever read anything on here before about acupunture. Very interesting and something to keep in the back of my mind just in case I ever need it. So happy though that you've found something to help with the pains you've been having for so long now.

As far as the tingling fingers, I have that too. Mine comes from a herniated disc in my neck at C4/C5. Had an MRI right before my knee surgery because I was in excruciating pain. I already have a fusion at C5/C6 so I pretty much knew what it was before having the MRI. I'm interested to see if the acupuncture helps at all with your neck issues. Nothing helped me with the disc issues except the surgery. But from what I've been told, most times they resolve themselves over time.

Anyway, so glad to hear you are doing better!
Niki
 
Hello again, reporting in after a few days absence...
Accupuncture seems I repeat seems to be helping... altho I rode my bike 2 days ago for 20 minutes outside, and the pain in my knee at 7 PM location came back along with the pain from the knee up my quad muscle which is along side of the IT band (not the IT itself) up to the hip area... numbness again below the 7 pm spot on my knee, like the steel band issue, this now has been going on for 3 months...
Still taking 2 tylenol/2 advil at 10 am and 4 pm and 2 tylenol at bedtime.... 6 months now... wondering if there is something WRONG with this picture...most of you post that you are doing great, can walk miles, bike miles, and I wince from the pain if I walk a block or ride 15 minutes on my bike????
Not sure this whole scene is suppose to be this way after 6 months....
 
Well, no it's not. Forgive me if you've said this but have you discussed this situation with your surgeon or GP? Have you been to see a chiropractor?
 
I made an appointment for next Wed with another ortho guy, not the one that did the surgery. Perhaps a cortisone shot in the area will help, this is obviously not normal.
 
I have been walking for 10 minutes .. trying to do it 2x a day. It is ok, hurts a bit when I get back, but I feel I need to move... perhaps I will try my bike again outside tomorrow.... Ortho guy is Wednesday...
Just an update.
 
Natalie, I hope that whatever is going on with the knee will straighten out soon. You do not need any more things to irritate your recovery.

I had minor setbacks like this and saw the Dr. and they eventually worked themselves out. For me it was so much swelling after surgery that cause other areas of my leg and foot to over react or "act up" for awhile. And I am sure other factors too. It did finally settle down and I am thankful for that. Hope you get relief soon.:doggieshmooze:
 
I am hoping that this issue will go away too... it's getting old, and my patient and thinkng why did I do this to begin with enters my mind from time to time...but in the end I know it will be worth it.
I know that TIME is the heal agent, but I am just getting fed up with the same pain, day after day, in the same place on my leg... that is why I am going to a new ortho guy for a 2nd opinion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom