Guest viewing is limited

TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A second opinion can always shed some light on things. New eyes can see new things! :thumb:

Good Luck!
 
Went to a new Ortho doc today. They did the xrays... nothing showed, but he said that I have a rotator type of knee... and it moves a bit more than others...
He gave me a brace to wear for one week, and if that helps the pains I have been having, he is going to have me go back to PT to strenghten the IT Band muscles and quads.. He also is having me take a blood test cbc and some protein thing, to see if I have an infection (he said 1 in 100 chance)...
I see him again next WED morning... no cortisone shot, he doesn't do those after a knee replacement... ??
 
Sounds good, looks like he looking at all sides of the problem. Hope you get relief. Did he do a c-reactive protein? That is for inflammation, and too much inflammation can cause crazy pain. That is a problem I have.
 
Don't know, will have to ask when the blood is drawn today if it is... will let you know Mimi..
;)

ANyone else ever have to wear a BRACE for awhile after having knee replacement???
 
Guess no one has worn a brae after surgery, it was given to me to find out if my muscles in quad and IT Band were weak, causing the pain that I have... blood was drawn... they are checking to see if I have an infection.. I should hear tomorrow about the blood tests.
Pain in knee seems to be a bit less with brace on...
 
Natalie, if the brace works and there is less pain, must be a good thing! :rolleyespink:
 
Natalie, good luck with the results, let us know what they say, and fingers crossed that they are good, and glad to hear that the brace is giving you some painfree time. Its essential for your own well-being!! :friends:
 
Well, saw the Ortho guy here in AZ, and the brace did minor good, so he has ruled out infection, blood tests came back normal, and the brace did not do that much good... so now he ordered an MRI of my back to find out if it's a pinched nerve that is causing my pain in the leg and thigh... could this be? He says possibly.... so now I have to wait until medicare approves, which will, and then they will make the appointment.. possibly another week... if and if .. they find something, meds, PT, shots, can fix...
Anyone have this problem?
 
Natalie,I have not had that problem. I do have multilevel degenerative disc disease, as well as problems with my IT bands. Just writing to say that I am sorry you having this problem and getting the run around. Feel better!!!
 
I appreciate your input.... today for some reason my knee and leg really hurt... I have done nothing different.. as well as my lower back... wondering if there is some truth to what this doctor is saying....
 
Jo, this has been going on since November, and really has not gone away. At times it's better, but the vice like grip at 7 pm on my TKR knee, and the shin pains, and the thigh pains up to the hip, and aching back, its worth a try to have an MRI and perhaps it is a pinched nerve.. that is causing these things...
Thanks for the article
 
When I have had bouts with sciatic nerve problems, I had the pain from the base of my spine, down the thigh, outside of my knee, down the calf to my foot.

First time I experienced this was after giving birth to my daughter 28 years ago. I had 19 hours of back labor and it did a job on my back. I "lived" with that pain, that was sometimes minor and sometimes very major, for 19 years. :hissyfit: Then I went to PT for my knee problems and when I was evaluated, the PT person said to me,"You really have sciatic nerve problems and I can fix it" . Well, four months later and 3 back adjustments, I was free of that pain . :yahoo:

Now in my TKR recovery I have had sciatic nerve problems and the PT guys worked on it. I truly believe that I carry a lot of internal inflamation and that contributes to the sciatic nerve problem during my recovery. It has subsided and now I have bursitis in my opposite hip. Always something. Cortisone helps that one well.:yes 4:

Take care and wishing you relief from this latest bump in the road to recovery..:friends:
 
I have an appt. at the chiro tomorrow at noon, hope he can do something... I hoped that accupuncture could do something, but that didn't work, so now we got an MRI ordered by the ORTHO, and I am trying the CHIRO as a last resort before the MRI...
Keeping fingers crossed that this will do the trick .. I am at my wits ends!!!
 
Hoping this works for you, Natalie.
 
I am schedule for an MRI, to rule out pinched nerve in lower back, meanwhile, I decided to go to a Chiropractor to see if he could do anything, since I have pains going down my shins, at the knee, pains going from knee up my thigh, problems going potty, and right fingers NUMB on my right hand. Chiro claims I have tilted pelvis, L5, L3 and L1 problems, and my TKR leg (r) is 1/2 inch shorter than my left leg, causing me to walk tilted to the right... did my first adjustment today, will see him 5 more times in the next 2 weeks, and we shall see if he can solve my problems, which I am hoping he will be able to do... He said that I have to learn to walk differently, instead of leaning to the right, which he thinks is causing alot of my pain...
 
Hi! Natlie, I can tell you from experience that if you have a 1/2 inch leg length discrepancy, you are going to need to get a lift put on the sole of your right foot shoes. :sigh: You cannot put that much lift inside a shoe--won't stay on your foot and is very uncomfortable.:DOH:

My left leg is 1/2 inch shorter than my right as the result of my hip replacment in 2010. It just isn't possible to walk differently to offset that much difference. And you will find that your right knee will try to hyper-extend to make up for the difference, so your knee will hurt and it will also affect your back.:cry:

I send all my new left shoes off to American Heelers in Ohio--they do excellent work for a very reasonable price. (You can find them online). When this is done, you will not be able to tell the difference in your shoes, and you can walk all you want to with no stress and strain on other parts of your body. :snork: It is an extra expense in your life---but like your new knee---worth every penny of it.

Hope this info is helpful to you. Keep us posted. We care. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy
 
Hi! Natlie,<snip>

I send all my new left shoes off to American Heelers in Ohio--they do excellent work for a very reasonable price. (You can find them online). When this is done, you will not be able to tell the difference in your shoes, and you can walk all you want to with no stress and strain on other parts of your body. :snork: It is an extra expense in your life---but like your new knee---worth every penny of it.

Hope this info is helpful to you. Keep us posted. We care. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy

Judy,
Thank you for this most useful shoe clue. I have a colleague w/ the leg length diff problem & this sounds like an option that she hadn't found.
Most Appreciated!
 
OK, been to the Chiro, told you about that, now it's the next day.... beliebve it or not, tingling in my right hand is better, not as often ..
I rode my bike for 25 minutes outside for the first time since JUNE 2011 and it didn't hurt..
The Chiro manipulated, pushed, pulled, cracked.. did his thing, and for the first time, my leg and knee and abdomen don't hurt as much, am hoping that the next visits to him will bring more relief... "praying" at this point.. I am still going to go ahead with the MRI.. to rule out pinched nerve in lower back.:thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom