Guest viewing is limited

TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we who have had the injections know, of course, the effects of synvisc are temporary, but do usually last for more than 3 days!! (Sorry I don't have statistics to back this up). Wish you all the best Natalie!

Actualy the Synvisc One shot lasts for 6 months or more, and I have had 3 of them in the past 2 years.
I will have my 4th one on Wed Jan 18.
I am hoping that it will work, and I will continue to get relief from them...
I am out of PT, quit on Jan 1, and just been doing stretches and outside bike riding for 20 min on my bike (it's 70 here in AZ).. or I ride the recumbant inside at the clubhouse.
Thanks for the input, hope you all are doing well.
 
Quite right, Natalie. It varies greatly from one person to the next.
 
Actualy the Synvisc One shot lasts for 6 months or more, and I have had 3 of them in the past 2 years.
I will have my 4th one on Wed Jan 18.
I am hoping that it will work, and I will continue to get relief from them...
I am out of PT, quit on Jan 1, and just been doing stretches and outside bike riding for 20 min on my bike (it's 70 here in AZ).. or I ride the recumbant inside at the clubhouse.
Thanks for the input, hope you all are doing well.

No need for statistics---while I was hoping for relief from Synvisc, I knew that it may or may not work. Several of my very good friends said that the injections helped them for two years or more; mine lasted for three days. I received the first shot on a Wednesday, and it was back to "normal" by Saturday. Oh well, C'est le vie!

I am glad to read that those injections will be of a big help to you!
 
You got three days more than I got from them, Tim. My round of shots provided pretty much no relief at all. It's a gamble that I was willing to take, but it didn't work for me. I wouldn't go that route again.
 
Lets put it this way, I am PRAYING to the KNEE person that the shot will help again as it has in the past.
We are off to cold country (ILLINOIS) for a week to visit the children and grandchildren... I am hoping the new knee will be ok with the cold.
 
You will be fine, take some thermal underwear, i.e. longjohns that cover your knee, I have found that they are a great help when the weather is really cold.

Enjoy!!:thumb:
 
Natalie, dress warm and enjoy those kids and grandkids. I find that when I am with my little guys that I forget what ever ails me. Just have loads of fun :yahoo:
 
Had shot this morning... boy did it hurt... oh well, iced it a couple of times already to day, will do it again... I am going to take a NAP, yes, some shuteye... hoping that this shot will help the pain I am having in my LEFT knee (not the operated one...)
It's over, ... anyway, it's COLD here in Chgo, had to drag my winter coat out and wear a sweatshirt under it...
Looking forward to warmer weather in Arizona on Saturday!!
 
Woke up this moriing, LEFT knee that had the shot is better, the RTKR hurts at 7 pm (on a clock) and the steel band thing... but glad that the Left knee is starting to get better after the shot. ITs suppose to snow here, imagine that is why the replaced knee might hurt, the barometer!!!
Still in Chicago, it's SO COLD here!!!
 
Natalie,
Glad at least the shot seems to be helping and the left knee feels better. We are having 70 degree temps in my part of the country today and tomorrow. Loving it! Bundle up, up there!
Niki
 
An update, the shot in the left knee is helping. it takes a few weeks for it to kick in fully.
I am riding my bike outside now, 20 min so far, want to work up toe 30 like I used to do.
Still having not nice pains in my knee at 7 PM (location) and the tight steel band feeling below the knee to the right.... will that EVER GO AWAY? I am using IBULEVE occasionally and taking advil and tylenol periodically thru out the day..
Its getting better, and I am stretching in the morning.. still have cramping in shins and calves in the morning when I arise... walking it out is the only thing that seems to work, it takes about an hour... anyone experience this happening?
Thanks again
 
Natalie, I have had all those things going on sometimes. It all does get BETTER! Honest it does! :snork:

Each day now you should see small steps foward. The morning cramping still anoys me from time to time. However, when I remember the morning PAIN I was in for so many years, it is nothing in comparison. It is all relative. I can deal with these aches because I know that I have my life back :yes 4:
 
Mimi, so you have had shin cramps and calf cramps, and pain in the lower quadrant of the knee (6 to 9 PM on a clock) like a steel band ... at almost 6 months, becoming rather annoying, wanting it to STOP, so tired of the pain.
On a brighter note, I am riding my bike outside... which was my main goal to attain.
 
Hi Natalie,

Don't worry to much about the "steel band" issue, this could continue for some time yet but is only a sign of the internal tissues etc. still fighting to heal, and is merely uncomfortable and shouldn't cause actual pain. I had this feeling for a good few months, but believe me it eventually lessens and you forget its there. I still have some stiffness and "that" tight feeling, but it does not deter me from living my normal life, and I have faith that eventually it will disappear completly.

Being pain free is the biggest bonus, and enjoying the life I have back makes it so worth it!!:thumb:
 
This morning I woke up with such cramping in both legs, it was awful. I took a celebrex, and 2 tylenol..... really did not subside until afternoon. I went for a 15 minute bike ride, did not go yesterday, thinking maybe I need to move.
Both of my knees hurt now, endless, almost 6 months, and it still goes on, guess I am venting, sorry, I am so wanting this pain to end.
Hoping tomorrow is a better day.
 
So sorry, Natalie. I would suggest that you stay on your Celebrex for a few days and limit your activity until this passes.
 
Ordered something called Hylands Leg Cramps, it has quinine in it, going to try that, hoping that may help, I am at my wits end with these cramps.. even the doctor is clueless... tried most everything...
 
You may find that the tablets help as my doctor suggested quinine tablets for me when I had the cramps earlier in my recovery. It was a very small tablet which you popped under your tongue and it dissolved. It did help too, and for a time I continued to take them as I do suffer with cramp in my TKR leg and my good one!

Hope you find them beneficial, and take care....:friends:
 
I have this terrible pain below my knee like a steel band.
It is now 6 months almost since the surgery. My question is how long will this continue?? It hurt so much yesterday that I took double tylenol.
Sorry for complaining but this pain was not expected.
I am just venting.
 
Vent away Natalie!! That tight steel band is such a common complaint amongst us Bonesmarties, and it could disappear very quickly or go on for some time yet, its the tissues and nerves inside your leg that were cut and having to re-join, everyone seems to forget the trauma your leg goes through, it could also be swelling, but I truly think its a normal part of healing and would love to be able to stop you worrying, but it does take a lot of PATIENCE, and there is usually nothing wrong, its all just a part of this marathon healing experience that we have all gone through, but when you come out on the other side, it will make such a difference to your life that it is soon forgotten, and to get your life back PAIN FREE is so worth it.:yes 4:

Take care, and try not to worry too much.:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom