Guest viewing is limited

TKR SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sadknee, take it easy on yourself and make sure you have recovered from whatever was ailing you at the weekend.
Hope your surgeon can shed some light on what is restricting your movement and offer some advice. You are making progress so you are maybe just following your individual recovery path?
Take it easy and hope you feel well soon.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
I hope your appointment with the OS went well. It sure sounds as if you have been round and round with this knee and I'm sure it's frustrating for things to feel as if they are progressing so slowly. I am pleased to read that since out patient PT things are at least progressing for you however. :)

Can't wait to hear what your OS and PT are suggesting for you and this knee of yours. I wonder if your down weekend, was due to your thyroid? I know that when my T3 and T4 levels are out of sorts, I experience many symptoms the most notable being extreme fatigue and the inability to multi-task. I feel overwhelmed at everything and can't seem to finish any one task before getting interrupted or sidetracked. I hope this has resolved for you with the medication and you are feeling more like yourself.

I hope you are feeling more like Superknee, or Uberknee than Sadknee today!
 
Hi Sarah, I will have to get my thyroid checked out again. Thanks for thinking of this for me. All my joints are still hurting, which is unusual, so I either picked up a bug or something is amiss as even my finger joints ache. I might schedule an appointment with a rheumatologist. I feel like I may have fibromyalgia or something like that which I have never had before. I have dramatically upped my pain pills the last couple of days to cope. Really hoping this passes as I had such a good week last week. It is always something on this very windy road of recovery :).
 
I hear you about it always being something! I have Hashimoto's (hypothyroidism) and it is always a battle for me too. There are not any reputable endocrinologists in my area so I've been primarily dealing with my primary care doctor. I've really have to be my own advocate and request (at times demand) that both my T3 and my T4 levels are checked regularly. The doctors generally use just the T3 and if those levels are within the normal range then they don't even want to hear about my symptoms. Finally, after much conversation, they checked my T4 and found that it was very out of range. As a result I now take 2 prescriptions daily and it has made a HUGE difference in how I feel!!

I think you are wise to go back to the doctor and check out all options. I hope it's something easily managed for you. I hope you are taking it very easy right now too, it sounds as if your body needs it. Hugs!
 
Hello All,

I went and saw my OS on the 10th of April and he is VERY concerned about my progress and thinks I have adhesions and wants to do a MUA right away. The adhesion theory is based on that (1) my scar is raised and (2) when he tries to move my knee it would not move at that time past 70. It is like hitting a brick wall. My PT had expressed concern as well because I am trying hard and when he tries to move my knee it won't go any further and just stops like something is constricting it.

I told him my OS I wanted two more weeks to see if I can get to 90 on my own. He was not happy and indicated each week I wait the MUA gets harder for him but he said it was my knee and I should proceed with what I think is best.

A few weeks ago I could not get past 65 and I am now almost to 80. I can now go forward on the bike when last week I could only go backwards. I have read everything on this forum and countless hours on the web about manipulations.

How and when does someone know they truly need a MUA? My leg does not feel that swollen and I do ice and elevate it several times during the day. I am going to tag Josephine to get her input as I truly respect her opinion. Maybe I fall under that certain small percentage of people that need extra help ... I am not sure.

Thanks all for any input you may have. Thanks!
 
Hi Sadknee,
I have no worlds of wisdom about a MUA.
I think you are in a difficult place where your healthcare team are advising you to have one now and suggesting it is urgent but you know you are making progress. It sounds to me like you have made quite a bit of progress over the past couple of weeks. That suggests that things are moving in the right direction but on your own knees schedule, not on that of the Os. Your op was only mid Feb. Not at all long in TKR terms.
Good luck whatever you decide to do. The OS is right , it is your knee.
I don't know how raised your scar is but mine is raised and I am getting good movement. As to how you know if you really need one, I don't know.
Good luck whatever you decide and you know we will be here for you.
Hugs Toothfairy x :tada: :console2:
 
I have said this before but it could bear being said again - adhesions don't occur that quickly. You are only 8 weeks out which is bang in the middle of the 'angry tissue' stage so what's most likely blocking your ROM is simply swelling. Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?. You have proved this yourself by getting from 65 to 80 which confounds his theory! ROM can continue to improve for weeks and months, even up to a year out. Based upon what you have said, I predict you will get to 100 in another 'few weeks' and shortly after that, an even better number!

If you really need to discuss this with him again, I suggest you tell him that if your ROM is still under 100 by 4 months out, then you will consider an MUA! Incidentally, an MUA at 8 weeks will certainly be easy for him because there are no adhesions for him to do battle with! :wink:
 
Hello SadKnee,
I am very sorry to hear what you are going thru. Just wanted to let you know that I am still using a cane and pain meds and I was very worried has you are.
I was watching other knee patients running right by me in PT, yes, I was discouraged, but I have found out I am getting there, it is just taking a little longer but this last week I have done pretty well. My leg is getting straighter and coming real close to being flat and this just happened. After lots of reading on this Forum I have found out I am ok and it makes me feel better especially after a visit with my OS. He said that I should be a lot further along and I was upset about it at first. Tears of frustration for a few days. :tantrum: :hissy:
My progress might be slow but I am getting there and saying I am ok with it.
Sorry for the rambling and I do not know anything about MUA but Josephine does and I have learned this Forum is correct.
Best of luck to you and I will keep you in my prayers :angel:
 
Hi Sadknee,
I like Josephine's advise but then i am no expert. I had a MUA only 9 weeks following my TKR. At the time my ROM was just falling and not improving at all. Yours is!!!!
My ROM fell back to 60 three weeks after the MUA. Although now with a lot of changes, work and care it is finally over 100 six months post TKR.


You have proved this yourself by getting from 65 to 80 which confounds his theory! ROM can continue to improve for weeks and months, even up to a year out. Based upon what you have said, I predict you will get to 100 in another 'few weeks' and shortly after that, an even better number!

If you really need to discuss this with him again, I suggest you tell him that if your ROM is still under 100 by 4 months out, then you will consider an MUA! Incidentally, an MUA at 8 weeks will certainly be easy for him because there are no adhesions for him to do battle with! :wink:
 
Hang in there! Lots of good observations given here. Do what you think is best but as you mentioned you have had some progress so keep that in mind as well.

Best to you!
 
Hi Amab, everything is coming along!!

Still trying to get more ROM. I am at 90 I think. My doctor wants me to do a MUA but I am not sure about that so I am waiting based on feedback from this forum. it is so hard to know what is the right thing to do. I am still gaining strength and still trying to go up and down stairs leg over leg instead of one at a time. I think I might be a slow healer. This new knee seems to have impacted how I walk. I went to the Walking Store where they measure your feet and arches and it shows that when I stand my heel is not making impact on my TKR knee. Strange :) .

I am due back to work on June 15. I am really grateful for this extra time as I still get exhausted after simple trips and PT. I am sure my coworkers are not happy with me for being out so long. My commute is around 90 mins each way if traffic flows so that will be an adjustment and then add in a 9 or 10 hour day and I think I will be tired.

How is it being back at work? Do you need to ice there? Any tips for me? Are you walking in a normal manner? What are your retirement plans? 30 years at the same company is a long time. I have been at mine for 16 and hope to get at least 10 more in and then switch to something lower stress.

Nice to hear from you!
 
Fortunately I have been able to fit in a few days off since back to work; some time working from home as well. I found myself pretty well beat those first few days back; that darn cold didn't help either. So with being tired, the cold and all I didn't get the exercise in that I needed. So my advice is to not sacrifice the exercise/ strengthening if at all possible.

Was off today; took care of some yard work, actually rode my wife's bike; was able to rotate fully by adjusting where my foot sat on the pedal. It was only a very short ride. Just wanted to see if I could do it!!! :bicycle1:

We then got a latr afternoon walk in; I was able to manage 3.5 miles. Will probably pay for it overnight. Like Sunday am, my knees ached a lot...took a while to get going. I believe I am walking properly, steps the normal way, just slow. I hope the injections that start this week will help my good knee....

No real plans at the moment for retirement. Must catch up on things that have been ignored as I rehabbed. My wife has a long list of to do items :loll: that'll take some time. Just do things at a new pace. She will continue to work so I'll help with a lot more of the daily household things.

Keep working on your exercises and strengthening.....it'll pay off. Patience and time and persistence.....

Best of luck!!
 
Hi sad knee. Im with you on the slow healing. Me too. It can get very discouraging when you read of people with great ROM who had their ops a long time after you. I havent been to physio for such a long time but im sure Im not much over the 90mark and im over six months now. I am going to see a specialist PT on Thursday to see if I have a genuine problem that I will need to see my OS about or if I just need some different exercises to help with the bend. Im sure I am past the benchmark for MUA now. I can go up and down stairs fine, i manage to walk for much longer without any pain and stand still which was always worst for me before TKR so i have improved in so many ways just havent got the flex. Extension has been 0 since first week. So i know how you feel and it can get you down so please dont feel too discouraged. I will let you know how I get on with my PT until then Take care.
 
Hi Amab, thanks for the update and support. Still amazed you are walking 3.5 miles :yahoo:

Also amazed you are riding a real bike! :bicycle1: :bicycle1:

Good luck with the Honeydo List ... I know my list is never ending for my husband. :rotfl: :rotfl:
 
Hi Pat, thanks for your post! :flwrysmile: It is nice to know it is just not me. It sounds in all other ways you have made great strides so kudos to you! I cannot believe your extension was 0 sine the first week. Mine s down to that now but it took some time. I don't think you are past the MUA time frame but I think and I could be wrong the longer the wait the more work it is for the surgeon. Let me know what your new PT contact says. I am hoping your ROM and mine will come!! :yahoo:
 
Hi Sadknee,
Just checking to see how you are doing as the week draws to an end. You are such a sweetheart always popping up to encourage everyone. I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and hoping you are continuing to forge ahead! Laurie
 
Hi Laurie! Happy Friday! Your message was VERY sweet thank you! :flwrysmile:

I am doing pretty good and keep hoping my ROM will improve. I see you had a MUA so I am going to go read your thread to find out how that worked for you. My OS keeps pushing it but since I am "slowly" increasing I am putting it off. I canceled my last appt with my OS and they just noticed and want me to come in so they can check my ROM.

I am pretty much off all pain pills now except for Tylenol and my Celebrex so finally feel more human. This whole thing has been quite an adventure as you know with good and ad points. Just glad I am feeling better finally!

Off to read your thread :flwrysmile: . Take care!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom