TKR SadKnee Will Be Smiling Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sadknee
Like me your knee is taking time to get improved ROM. I have panicked because in the past I have been told if your ROM isn't more than say 90 by 6 weeks post TKR then that isn't great for future improvement. Which is a load of hogwash.

Finally I have got 110 ROM at 7 months! I can ride a bike and I can go up and down stairs normally (although a little stiff initially). I have also got a second opinion from another OS who has verified that my expectations were a little too high. My knee is still swollen and its still mending. There is still more chance that my ROM will increase in the months ahead.

What I am getting from my experience is that some patients do really well and get a good ROM real early, were as others like me and you need more time to heal, exercise and treat to get there. As there may be other factors that inhibit the recovery.

I don't regret having the MUA as in my case it did loosen things up although it made my knee more angry. My biggest win was to find a Physio who saw that my back was out and this was causing a nerve that ran to my operated knee to be pinched. She fixed my back and since then my knee has improved enormously.

I hope you have a good day.
 
Hi Suziepi

Thank you very much for your post! It was very informative. Congratulations on getting to 110!! It is wonderful you can ride a bike and go up and down stairs. :flwrysmile: I am so happy that you found a good PT, it does make a world of difference.

Your progress shows there is hope for me. I am still working on going leg over leg on stairs and it has been slow for me to do this. I do agree that I believe that some take longer to heal and get their ROM.

I had stopped concentrating on my ROM and suggested MUA and decided to give it more time. I may have to have the MUA later on but I will see how it goes. Once I stopped stressing on my ROM I felt better and I have even been taking out my Wave Runner (PWC) on the lake for a few spins which has been crazy fun. It is comical that I do need help getting up on it when it is on land so when I do get more ROM it will be helpful.

I hope you have a good day too!!
 
I think you have the right attitude sadknee. Its no use fretting like I did as well. We will get our ROM in time. I have had brilliant extension since day one after my op. before you could fit a hand under my knee while trying to get it straight. When they took the bandages off on day 2 after my op my knee was flat on the matress. So we have to think of all the good things and stop worrying. I go on the bike, go up the stairs properly for the first time in years and more important for me when I am out shopping etc I can stand in one position for ages without getting that awful bone on bone pain and trying to find somewhere to sit all the time. We all heal differently and you are doing well. Im looking forward to starting my advanced physio later on in the month.muntil then I will strengthen my knee as much as possible with exercises and my bike. Good Luck and Take Care
 
Hi Pat robynhood

Thanks for your post! I cannot believe what great extension you had right from the start that is wonderful! You are right we do need to concentrate on what's going well!! It sounds as if you have had GREAT improvement over what you could do before our TKR. I think your advanced physio is going to help you once you start it. I will continue keeping on and hoping that my ROM arrives :)!!

Good luck and take care too! Let me know how the advanced physio goes. I am thinking it is going to help you achieve more!

Lisa
 
How goes your progress? You mentioned the past month has shown improvement? A week in Vegas....wow! How did the knee hold up with all the walking? Assume you beat that terrible heat!
 
Hi Amab! I am still keeping on with small gains of ROM. I may eventually need a MUA.

Vegas was a lot of fun! It was HOT so we limited our outside time. I stayed 2 nights at the Bellagio, 2 nights at Mandalay Bay, and 1 night at the Golden Nugget. We had our kids (7 and 16) so it was more of a family trip. My husband took them everywhere during the day (bless him for that) and I mainly got day spa passes and did my own PT in the whirlpools and then swam at the big pools. It was fun but I was happy to leave. I walked but did not overdue. My knee held up pretty good!

We are leaving again on Mon to drive our motorhome up to Santa Barbara and Pismo Beach for a few days.

I go back to work next week so we are trying do some things as a family as I know once I go back it will take everything just to make it through the day and back home again.

If I had the option to retire now I surely would :). I think you made a very smart decision! But you also worked very hard for 30 years at your job and probably even longer than that. I hope you get to enjoy your time off once you finish your long honey-do list!!!

I think once I get back in the swing of things at work I will be in the groove again. I have never been off work this long and now that I made it through the worst it has allows me to have time to think without distraction. I am still working on trying to move so I won't have the 3 to 3.5 hour commute each day.

Thanks for checking in on me! Take care!
 
That sounds like a great trip to Vegas!
Enjoy that motor home trip!
 
Appreciate the Father's Day greetings! It was a good day!! Best of luck on your return to work.
 
I think going out on the waverunner was a great idea. We need to have fun and forget our knee!
 
First day back at work went well! Hubby drove me for moral support and then my boss offered to drive me home since he lives near. My boss and coworkers were very friendly and seemed happy to have me back. Feel kind of conspicuous at work since I walk so slow. When I try and walk fast I feel like I am going to lose my balance and topple over. Hopefully this gets better with time. Keeping fingers crossed.

Felt kind of shaky today and weak maybe it was nerves? I did not ice until the end of the day when we were driving home. Iced again and elevated as soon as I was home. I am working from home next two days and then go back to office.

All in all it wasn't too bad :).
 
Glad things went well! I don't walk very fast either and many times have to grab on to something because I lose my balance. Sometimes my knee gives out a little I am sure it is lack of muscle tone which I am working on getting back. Got a little lol. Very little! I can't believe the drive you have wow! You must have to get a new car every few years lol.
Cathy
 
Hi Cathy,

Good thing to know I am not the only wobbly one!! I do the same thing. My knee sometimes gives out a bit too. Nice to know it is the muscles so that should improve :). Your muscles will come back! You have been working hard.

Well my 2010 Camry does have 90.000 miles on it. I have been doing this a long time. Very tired of it. Oh we'll I am grateful for a job and a lot of people where I live commute so I am not alone.
 
Hi,
Do you carpool with anyone? My 2010 has 12,500 miles lol. I haven't even had it in for the first tire rotation. It is at 15000 and I bought it in Aug of 2010. At least,you work from home today. Where do,you want to move to? The sun is out this morning finally!
Cathy
 
Congrats on a successful return to work! You'll soon be in a regular and comfortable routine.....patience..... :)
 
I have an update on my ROM situation.

Yesterday I went back to PT as I had not been for a while due to being out of town. Well I was concerned as I was thinking I may have regressed and I could see that my PT was worried too but he wasn't saying anything. So he asked me to bend my knee and I did, and it bent pretty easy so he raises his eyebrows and said I need to measure you after our session. Well he measured me and I was at 100 which was great. He said if he squeezed me he could probably get it to 103. So just wanted to share this.

I was going by Josephine sage advice and she was right. This is giving me hope that I am going to someday get to at least 115. Woo hoo for my knee!!
 
Josephine's advice to me was if I was not to 100 by 4 months time then I should contemplate having a MUA. Since I am now at 100 hopefully there will be no more talk of a MUA unless I get stuck.
 
Well between PT and work this week my knee has flared up a bit and is paining me. Going to have a lazy weekend and try and ice and elevate. Very thankful I only have to go in physically to the office 2x a week for the first month. I hope everyone else is hanging in there :)!!!
 
So pleased you have reached 100 with yourROM. Not sure what mine is but I hope its improved a bit. Josephine is a very wise lady isnt she and is invaluable with her advice. Have a lovely rest over the weekend. Im sure you will get to 115 soon. Take Care
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom