Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

This is the time I wish my mom was still with us. I miss her every day and wish I could talk to her.
I know how you feel. My mother met my baby granddaughter, her great granddaughter twice but didn’t know the relationship due to Alzheimer’s. Thankfully I have pictures of them together.

For some reason I am missing my mother more than ever since my birthday last month.
 
I'm thinking of you, Marian , and I'm glad you're back to working your regular hours - though even those hours are horrendous.

I'm glad you're going to be seeing your granddaughter every week. That's something to look forward to.

Best wishes for your exam. If you pass, will that mean that you have more options and can look for a job with easier hours?
 
It's good to hear from you, Marian. Getting to hug that sweet grand daughter will be absolutely wonderful! Good to hear you're back on your regular schedule. I pray your test is a complete success!
 
Good luck on the exam! I know it would be much easier on your body!
 
Good luck on that exam! Also, great news getting time with your sweet grandbaby!
Sending you best wishes that all starts to fall in place for you.....
 
Good luck on your exam. You’re going to love spending time with your granddaughter, you’ll probably be worn out at the end of the day, but it’s a good worn out :roseshwr:
 
Failed my exam by 5 points! I may take it again down the road. It was just for me I was taking it, not needed for work. So even though I didn’t pass it won’t have any bearing on my job. I’m looking forward to being with my granddaughter tomorrow. My knees have been stiff even though I haven’t worked all week so far. We will see how I do with the baby. I was hoping that with the week off they would feel better but that’s not the case. They don’t hurt as much as on work days but the stiffness is here to stay.
 
Oh Marian, I sorry you missed it by 5 points. At least it won't affect your job. I don't know why your knees should still be so stiff. Of course, your right one is less than a year old. That should explain it's stiffness. In time, I bet it'll be OK.

Enjoy that grand daughter tomorrow!
 
I'm sorry you missed the exam. Better luck next time!
Enjoy your time with that lovely granddaughter!
 
Decided to peek in to see how you're doing. So much has happened, I'll have to spend some time catching up on your journey. Anyway, HI! {she waves frantically}:wave:
 
I'm coming up on one year since I had my right knee replaced with the ensuing infection. I still regret having had the knee replaced as I am still not very happy with it. My left knee is doing much better.

I can't sleep through the night without awaking with pain somewhere in my right knee and leg. I use pillows and have tried every position I can think of but to no avail. I haven't been taking any pain meds as they would wear off in the middle of the night anyway and I would wake up again anyway.

I see my OS this Wednesday and I wonder if any type of arthroscopic surgery would help to remove some scar tissue which seems to be present after the clean-out operation of my right knee. I don't know if that is something that is a possibility but it would allow me to have a better ROM so I could actually ride my bike.

I bought a bike almost two years ago to have a way to exercise and have it set up on a trainer in my home. It's the best of both worlds as it easily can be taken off the trainer to be used outside. Unfortunately I still haven't developed enough ROM to push the pedals without using the 'hip lift' action. It's impossible for me to ride the bike outside since I would probably topple over.

Has anyone else had arthroscopic surgery after knee replacement? Is it something that would help to remove scar tissue or would I have to go through a revision (something I am not prepared to do) to increase my ROM?

@Josephine would arthroscopic surgery be helpful in any way for scar tissue?
 
I'm sorry you still have problems, Marian. :console2: :friends:
Kelly, @skigirl , had an arthroscopic lysis of adhesions. She might be able to tell you more about that.
 
Marian, I had an open lysis of adhesions, since I also had a spacer replacement. It made a big difference and I would certainly question your doc about it. I am so sorry that you are still having these problems. Most docs who specialize in adhesions, feel that arthroscopic is the best way to remove adhesions.
 
I am in awe of you and your recovery. I too had adhesions removed via arthroscope. I found it was incredible painful however no one knows why. I did however go on to have another revision following that procedure ten weeks ago. The arthroscopic removal of adhesions was eight weeks prior to that. I can’t advise you on the best course of action for you. I had both and I’m struggling with this recovery. At ten weeks post op I’m still in a lot of pain, cannot straighten my leg but am able to do full rotations on the bike. I understand your apprehension after what you have already been through. A conversation with your OS is probably your best bet. Good luck with your decision.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'll have a discussion with my OS on Wednesday. I can't believe it's been a year already!
 
Wow, a year. I can't believe it either! Hoping you get a good report and some insight into what can be done for your continued pain.
 
I went to my OS this morning. He didn’t even seem to remember me at all. He asked me who did my surgery! I didn’t feel so re-assured to be seeing him. After I reminded him about my infection and the second surgery to clean it out he started to remember a little I think. He told me that arthroscopic surgery wouldn’t help because he wouldn’t be able to get behind the knee to clear it out of any adhesions. If my knee gets to be very painful he would then suggest a full revision. Everything would be taken out and then be replaced. I can’t even consider doing that. My knee pain is enough to be annoying and wakes me up at night to change my position but it’s not so painful I’d be willing to have another surgery on it.

He suggested doing an aspiration to check for any signs of infection, but there hasn’t been any for almost 10 months now. He was going to also give me some cortisone to see if that would help. My back went out a few days ago and my PCP (primary care doc) put me on prednisone in decreasing dosages. It wouldn’t be a good idea to doing any aspiration until I’m done with the course of prednisone. If my back continues to bother me I’ll have to try to get time to get back to the chiropractor again.

My OS said my knee is the best it will be as far as ROM is concerned. I can only bend it to about 95 degrees give or take. It also doesn’t straighten all the way either. The knee he did the revision on can bend and straighten adequately for me and is much better than the right knee. One last thing he said to me is now that the warmer weather is here (it snowed yesterday) I’ll start to get out and have more activity. I reminded him I work ten hour shifts at work so I wasn’t sure how much more activity I would need on my feet. As I was walking out to my car I felt like crying. How could I be so forgettable? My last statement to him is how can I get on the floor and play with my new grandchild? He shrugged and said it’s not going to get any better.

He wants me to come back in three months but right now I feel it’s a waste of time. I just traded my old problems with my knee for new ones. I have no idea what to do.
 
:console2: I’m sorry you had such a disappointing appointment.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom