Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

What an awful appointment you had. I bet you will improve. You had to go back to work so soon after having a major surgery and then a major infection. Your knee isn't finished healing. It will get better!
 
I'm sorry you had such a disappointing visit with your surgeon, Marian. :console2: :friends:

It sounds to me as if you need to look for a third opinion.

Even if the surgeon can't access the back of your knee, he could still do the front, which could improve matters.

Kelly ( @skigirl ) had a successful open lysis of adhesions. Kelly, did your surgeon say anything about not being able to access the back of your knee?

I know that surgeons don't like to operate on the back of the knee ("tiger country") because of all the critical structures there - that's why a piece of my broken spacer is still lodged there.
 
@newlybionic I am really sorry you had such a disappointing appointment. Don’t be discouraged by his inability to remember you or your particular case. It is him who has an issue (lack of sleep, too much on his plate, other life events impacting his ability to be professional).

I suggest you get another opinion about what to do moving forward - not necessarily more surgery - I truly believe your OS is off his game and hasn’t given you appropriate advice. In regards to your ROM we know that his statement has been proven untrue on many occasions. So many have been advised they will not get more ROM and yet, given time their ROM has been amazing. I don’t believe it would be a waste of time getting an opinion from someone else only because I don’t think this surgeon was all that ‘with it’.

Have the same discussion with someone else just to be absolutely sure that all options are evident other than another revision. I don’t understand why those we give responsibility to repair our knees so that we have the opportunity to improve our quality of life, lose focus and forget we are more than just a reparable body part, we have a psychological aspect that goes with it. A lot has impacted our lives prior to us arriving at this point. It’s not just about the knee. We are products of our past and a more wholistic approach by surgeons may result in better outcomes.
 
Wait a minute, Marian, are you saying you missed the exam by one question??? Sheesh, take it again ASAP, that was nothing, for sure you will pass if you take the time to study for that one question!!! I understand about your OS, mine called me "Little Lady" until I suggested that he go back out, look at the chart and get my name right!!! He followed up with, you are just so cute and I told him I was ready to vomit!!

I would be depressed too about the knees. I know that someone had pain in the back of the knee and her surgeon removed the entire capsule which helped her quite a bit. I will think of the name!! It was something with a canoe I think. I also would not have a revision on that knee without someone else looking at it. I know you trust your doc but I don't like the "there is nothing to be done" line he is giving you. Here is my suggestion.

Start asking around at work---nurses know everything!!--and find someone who does mainly revisions, Then make an appt with that person. No rush, but really, I think you can find some help and not from your doc.
 
There must be some help for you. Certainly it won't come from your OS. He's already said it will not get any better, so that's it for him. I know it's inconvenient, but could you see a specialist either in Philadelphia or New York (city or state)? There are many good revision surgeons and surely there will be one who can help you. :console2:
 
I’ve been on prednisone for a few days for my back. It seems that it’s actually helping my knee too. I guess my knee has been inflamed. The pain has diminished quite a bit. Maybe after this short course of medication my knee will stay happy. I’m going to the chiropractor Monday morning for my back. Hopefully my back, which is also feeling better, will be painless too. I even wound up working 13 hours yesterday without any increased pain.
 
I’ve been on prednisone for a few days for my back. It seems that it’s actually helping my knee too.
You must have some inflammation in your knee still. Wonderful that it's working for you. Hopefully, taking it short term will be all your knee needs to get rid of that aggravating inflammation!
 
My back has been feeling better since seeing the chiropractor and taking the prednisone. I am very surprised that the pain in my knees has diminished so much. Clearly there is some sort of inflammation going on especially with my right knee. I was able to sleep all night last night without waking up to pain in my knee. I will be finished with the prednisone tomorrow. I guess I will take some anti-inflammatories if the pain starts to come back. Now if I could only somehow increase my range of motion in my right knee I would be a very happy camper!:)
 
I hope the prednisone wipes out all your inflammation and you will continue to have pain relief!
 
I've put my life on hold the last year with this last replacement/infection. I decided to do something to enjoy myself and have booked a cruise the end of October to the Bahamas. I'm really looking forward to it. I will take a cane with me in case my legs don't want to keep up with all the activity. I am going with my sister. We will be gone for a week and I plan to attempt as many activities as I can. I cancelled a trip that I was supposed to go on in March because of my knees but I have decided that they shouldn't hold me back any longer.

Since stopping the prednisone some pain has returned. It isn't as bad as before. I will probably try taking some anti inflammatory medicine to see how that helps. I have to be careful not to cause problems with my stomach. I will definitely be taking them only with food in my stomach.
 
I have taken antiinflams daily for 7 years..is that good perhaps not but pain outtumps it. always with food never on an empty stomach. I did until they got bad in the last six months drop down to three a week. Good luck and enjoy the cruise.
 
Unfortunately, I'm with you with the anti-inflammatories. I try to go off of them, then just about everything starts to ache. I have found my quality of life just isn't there when not taking them. I pray that soon something will be discovered that still will diminish inflammation, but not be so bad for us. I've been on low doses since the 90s.
 
What a great idea to book something as a treat for yourself, Marian.
I hope that, when October comes, you have a wonderful time. :friends:
 
Hi.... You may already know this BUT... I was reading your postings about not being able to bike and wanted to remind you about the"orthopedals" that are available. My friend got some and is happily biking! Website- orthopedals.com.
 
@Hopetohike Thanks for the website. I'll have to check it out now that the snow has finally melted and the air is warm.

I missed the fact it was my one year anniversary of my right knee. I'm learning to live with what I am able to do but still hopeful of a bit of an increase in ROM. I am feeling stronger overall and my leg muscles are almost back to normal. I put on three pounds of weight which I attribute to muscle growth in my quads. None of my clothes are fitting any tighter and I'm happy with my total weight loss of 30 pounds. I could stand to lose some more but I am not worried about it. All my recent bloodwork has come back normal. I am healthy and getting happier as the days go by. My cruise is still pretty far off but it gives my something to look forward to. I hope to be able to get some walking in outdoors. I still have to be careful since I live on a dirt road. I know I wouldn't be able to get up if I fell so I can carry my cane with me just in case. I rather be safe than sorry. I would love a swim in the Atlantic and am looking forward to summer and a quick trip to the beach when possible. It has been several years since I have gone in the Atlantic and I miss it very much.
 
What a great update! You've had a rough few years, but the improvement you have made is wonderful! I am so glad to read about it!
 
My granddaughter and I are loving being together on thursdays. She’s 8 months old already! The one thing I wish I could do is sit on the floor with her to play with all her toys. I know I can’t get down or up from the floor. She’s on the verge of crawling!

At work I can stand the whole time I’m drawing up medications. This is another improvement in my physical strength. The ten hour shifts are still tiring but I only usually work three days a week. That’s the minimum I can work and be considered full time.

I have a business trip to Denver next month. I’ll have to give myself extra time to get through the TSA lines. The last time I flew I had one artificial knee. Now I have two of them. I’m traveling by myself and hope I don’t have to walk a long distance once I get to Denver. It’s been years since I’ve been there and the airport has been built since then.

I’m also starting to plan my itinerary for the cruise I’m taking in October. I am looking forward to it very much. I’m hoping that this summer I get to the New Jersey shore. I haven’t been to the beach since my mom was ill and passed away. My youngest daughter may take me for a trip there if we can find the time when we are both available. She can also help me get in and out of the surf if the water is rough and at high tide.

Last but not least I’m going to make an effort to sign onto Bonesmart at least once a week. I would like to repay all the help I received going through my 4 surgeries and infection. I received lots of help and prayers which really made a difference.
 
Well, hello there stranger. I flew to Maine in May, swallowed my pride and allowed the airline to wheel me from terminal to terminal. There was no way I could have made the distances required, and especially in the tight time frames I had for a few of them. What was funny was the fact that I set off the alarms, but for some non-existent shoulder area each time! My knee never showed up on the monitors as metal. Go figure.
I'll bet you're having a blast with that little angel. There's not a lot better in life than grandkids.
I am chomping at the bit to take the cruises we want to take and I hope you have a blast! Glad to see you here again.
 
It's great to hear from you Marian! It sounds like you are finally enjoying your new knees! Your future plans sounds exciting! Have a great summer! It's great to have you back!
 
Back
Top Bottom