BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[KNEE INFECTION] Right knee has been replaced

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by newlybionic, Apr 17, 2017.

1. newlybionic

newlybionic FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    A very belated Happy New Year to all. I’ve been working through some depression and am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnnel. My knees are both stiff all of the time. There is swelling only at the end of my ten hour work days. I have decreased by work days to three a week on average and try not to work on consecutive days. It is depressing feeling almost as much pain now as I did before my TKRs. I’m not sure what else can be done for me. My OS thinks that I may be able to add more range of motion in the knee that had the infection but it is barely increasing at all. I wake up several times a night in pain and have to re-arrange pillows to try to find a way to sleep for a few hours. I’ve tried using some tramadol and I’ve also tried some sleeping pills from my psychiatrist without much help. After having had the infection I’m not considering seeing any other OS (or even my OS who I do trust) to discuss any type of a revision surgery.

One good thing is my weight is down 33 pounds. I still don’t have much of an appetite and I continue to lose weight slowly. I don’t eat dinner most evenings. I try to eat at least one healthy meal a day usually in the early afternoon. I will have a little something in the morning and in the evening have some cheese or some fruit. I know I’ve gained muscle in my legs which had atrophied quite a bit. Most of what I lost has been fat so far. If I lose another 20 lbs I’d be very happy. I thought my knees would be happier if I weighed less but it hasn’t been proved true.

2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh, Marian, your knees just aren't responding the way they should be. I'm so sorry. No wonder you have been depressed. You have been through so much, but remember the right knee is still only 8 months old and is young, especially since it has been through so much. I'm sure it'll continue to get better.

How's that new grand daughter of yours?

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome back, Marian. :loveshwr::friends:
    I'm sorry you've been through a rough patch and I'm sorry your knees are still painful. I do hope that, with time, they settle down a bit and become less painful.

4. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’m glad you’re seeing some light, Marian. I had pain for quite a while, so I, hoping that yours diminishes as well. It seems like a long time, but you’re 8 months post op on the infected knee, there’s still time for improvement.

5. liam2015

liam2015 post-grad

Canada Canada
    oh dear Marian, i'm sorry you're still having pain and discomfort at night. you had such a terrible ordeal due to the infection and maybe that's why it's taking longer to heal. good for you keeping the weight loss down and gaining some strength. i am completely impressed that you're able to be working 10 hours a day, 3 x a week ~ that is stamina! continue to nourish yourself and rest when you can ~ i think a nice vacation somewhere warm is in order for you. let us know how your new grand baby is doing. thinking of you......:console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. jaschembra

jaschembra post-grad

Great job on your weight loss.

I'm sorry you're still feeling such discomfort. I do know the feeling of having nearly as much pain as before surgery (my doctor just put me on Gabapentin in hopes that it resets my pain nerve - fingers crossed). Your knees will like the less weight and slowly but surly, you're building back your muscle. I'm glad you were able to get less days at work, if that works for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. GingerP

GingerP senior

Marion, congrats on weight loss. That in itself is a big blessing! Those of us tryin hard to shed some extra weight know it's not as easy as we would like.
    Congrats too on limited days of work and long days can be tiring.
    Be good to yourself and be willing to love yourself. Sometimes us gals make sure everyone else in our lives are well taken care of, but ourself. You are a wonderful person!
    Wishing you the best in your days ahead. I'm sure that grand baby is growing and changing and a pure delight.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. PegGar16

PegGar16 graduate

Hi Maria,
    Sorry you are having such a tough time. Hopefully you will get some sort of relief soon. Are you getting to see alot of the new grandbaby?? They are a joy.

9. newlybionic

My granddaughter is doing very well. I don’t get to see her as much as I would like but get lots of pictures of her every week. I’m supposed to help my daughter by baby sitting once a week. I’m hoping I’ll be able to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh Marian, I hope you get to do the babysitting as planned. It's such a joy. I'm sorry you're having a rough time of things and pray your knee gets past whatever is causing your pain, especially that at night.

• Like Like x 1
  11. newlybionic

I’m feeling a little stronger these days even though I still experience pain behind my right knee and stiffness in both of them. It feels like someone has gotten a grip on both kneecaps so they always are ‘annoyed’. I’m able to stand for longer periods of time than before.

I have my bike set up on a trainer in my family room now. It is difficult to make the pedals go all the way around. My right knee just doesn’t bend far enough. If I put my heel on the pedal and cheat by picking my hip up bit I can slowly pedal. I wouldn’t be able to ride it outside at all like this. It’s kind of like having a limp when walking.

This week 2 nurses are away leaving me as the only nurse. My boss has scrambled to find some replacements but I’m going to have to work three 10 hour days in a row and then a fourth one after a day off. I usually work three days a week and usually never more than two in a row so this is really be physically challenging. I hope I won’t be walking like a little old lady by Wednesday evening but I’m not so sure. I have to get up at 4:30am each of the three days in a riday I’m not in until 10am and staying until 8pm or so. I pray for the day that I can sleep all night without the achiness that wakes me up now. People say they don’t think of their knees any more. Hopefully that day comes for me.

12. GingerP

GingerP senior

Marian, thinking of you this week as you have a stressful week ahead. Take it one day at a time and hopefully you can do your best to get through this.

13. newlybionic

I’m exhausted. My right knee is really unhappy with me. I wound up working 13 hours yesterday. Due to a snow storm I got out early today but then had to drive in freezing rain on top of several inches of snow. Yikes!!!!
    My knee kept waking me up last night and my alarm at 4:30 am came much too quickly. I really don’t know what to do to make the knee stop hurting. It’s not swollen but aches and is very stiff. My other knee is stiff but the ache in that one is a little less the last couple of days. I feel like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz looking for my oil can! I’m off tomorrow and I’m supposed to get my hair cut and colored ( the gray is coming in). I hope I have enough energy to make it there tomorrow. It will help boost my spirits.

I’m supposed to work an 11 hour day on Friday. I’m just beat and I’m looking forward to the weekend off. Right now I’m sorry I had my knees done. I was better off beforehand but hopefully someday I’ll be able to say I’m happy with my decision. I know I’m in the minority but I’ve had problems with both surgeries. I never do anything the easy way....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’m sorry you are still aching and have such long work days. :console2:

I feel the same way about my partial replacement at this point. :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

Wow, you have been through too much. It's amazing that you can work when you're in so much pain-you have to have superwoman genes. I understand what you mean about the bike-I can't bend my knee enough at the top of the pedal motion to go around so bikes are out for me too. I'm hoping as time goes on that knee of yours settles down and behaves; you've been dealing with it for far too long. Are you anywhere near being able to retire? That'd be really nice so you can do things on your own schedule, and even better, enjoy that precious new grandbaby! Great job on the weight loss.....it's hard to do and yet you're getting it done. Thinking of you and hoping that stubborn knee shapes up and flies right!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. SherrieT

SherrieT senior

I am so sorry you have had the those difficulties and hope that soon you will pick that grand baby up and not even think about your knees.

Sherrie

17. jaschembra

jaschembra post-grad

You nurses do have some extremely long days and I've always felt sorry for you. Hoping you can get through Friday to have a nice relaxing weekend. Yep - save some energy for the hair appointment - such a mood booster!!! :)

18. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

We girls always feel better when we get our hair done. It will certainly be an uplifter for you! Then you can come back and get those knees up and iced! Lay around as much as you can. After Friday, the weekend comes! You're in my prayers!

19. GingerP

GingerP senior

Keeping you in my prayers too. You are a warrior for sure to work a 13 hr shift and the trudge the nasty roads. I am sorry you wish you didn't have this surgery. I am happy I had mine dine, even with my issues, but I'm retI red now so can do things on my own schedule. Soon, I'm praying you will be past this nasty part and think differently. Are you taking Tylenol or anything to help you through your day? I would think a little could help.
    Stay strong, warrior. Enjoy your hair appt today!!

20. newlybionic

Thanks everyone. I’m back to my regular schedule at work. I work three 10 hour days a week. Sometimes a bit longer than 10 hours. My knees are a bit sore and stiff. I’m hoping that someday they will feel better. My left one didn’t feel stiff until after I had the right one done and then the infection surgery. Those 5 plus months of non-use seems to be the cause. The OS said there’s nothing wrong with it and it does have good ROM even though it feels stiff. There’s no apparent swelling in either one and Tylenol doesn’t seem to help at all.

I’m off of work until Saturday. I am taking an exam on Wednesday for certification as a dialysis nurse. I’ve been doing some studying and plan on cramming the next few days. I hope I pass.

I am going to see my granddaughter on Thursday as a practice day for when I start to watch her once a week. I can’t wait to hug her! I live 90 minutes away ( I live in a rural area so everything is at least a half hour or more away from me). I haven’t seen her since Christmas. This will be something to look forward to every week. She will grow up knowing me and I’ll be close to her as my mom was to my girls. This is the time I wish my mom was still with us. I miss her every day and wish I could talk to her.

• Like Like x 1