Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

@newlybionic I have the degenerative disc disease also, and had to have decompression surgery this past July....it was a tremendous help, but with DDD many of us develop adult acquired scoliosis. I had my annual x-ray and I have now progressed 4 degrees, to 31 degrees. It is the bottom part of my S curve that is the convex part of the curve on my R side also! It takes very little to aggravate my muscles and by the end of the day since my 9/3/19 surgery those muscles are definitely barking at me! Luckily, the PT I go to for my knee still incorporates some great stretches for those muscles.

I agree the side effects are rough....what is the saying? Aging is not for the weak? I guess we now get to test our resilience even more that we expected!!
 
Some of the stiffness in my left knee is finally starting to get better even after all this time after my revision. I don't know my measurements for ROM but it seems to be getting better by the week. Then I have my right knee which stays as stiff as it has been and can't get much past 90 degrees or so. This makes it hard to do stairs especially at the end of the day. Some days I feel like I need to use a cane, but of course I can't at work. I've been fortunate that neither knee has ever felt like is was going to give out on me. I was wondering if there is an operation/scope that could be done on my right knee. Once it gets to 90 degrees it's a hard stop. Could this truly be scar tissue? Would an OS want to chance going back into that knee since I did have a MRSA infection in that knee that was only treated with IV and PO antibiotics?

My back which was hurting is doing much better and the pain is gone for now. I never know when I will tweak it and the pain will return but its happy for now. Work is going fine. I'm getting a bit more time to sit down. While I miss my friends at my old job, I don't miss the job itself. I'm learning more and more about chemotherapy everyday.
 
Marian, have you thought of getting a MUA on that right knee? That would not be invasive like surgery would be. You've certainly given it enough time to bend on its own.

It's wonderful that you're liking your new job and that is so much better on your body. With your caring nature you're sure to make new friends there.
 
when I had seen my OS the last time he basically said it is what it is and just get used of my knee the way it is.
 
I'm back with continuing problems with my right knee. My ROM has been slowly getting less and less and my knee is painful and swollen. Went to OS 2 weeks ago. I had a bone scan last week and it showed there is no loosening of the knee. Im having a test done to see if there is a low grade infection present. He did an aspiration of my knee and no infection was found with that fluid. He did say that I seemed to have a lot of scar tissue present when he was doing the aspiration. So its wait and see what test shows.
 
Oh, Marian, I'm so sorry to read that your new knee isn't doing well. Are you still working? I remember that you were able to get a job that has better hours. Were you able to stay there?

I pray you can find a simple cause for your increased pain and swelling. :prayer: :flwrysmile:
 
I am still working at the 'new job' (almost a year now) which has been better for me but this knee has been driving me nuts. This knee has been nothing but trouble since the first surgery on it. I dont know what my OS will suggest once the test results come back.
 
I'm glad you were able to get and keep that job. Now, hopefully, you'll find an answer.
 
Sorry there are still problem with that knee. I will keep my fingers crossed for you:)
 
I'm sorry you're still having problems with that knee, Marian. I hope you can get ti sorted out soon.

It's good to hear from you - but not because the knee is still a problem. :friends:
 
It amazes me how some come through this surgery so well and others, including me, do not!
 
Back
Top Bottom