Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

I used a down throw when I iced my knees!! I did find support hose helped in those early weeks too. The mental stimulation is the best part
 
Sending good thoughts your way Marian - both for an infection-free knee as well as for the new job opportunity. Sounds like it would be ideal for you.
 
My dear Marion. Let me send all the positive thoughts and good wishes that you need for a whole lifetime. And if that isn't enough another load too! And then a great big Bear hug so that you know how much you are loved by us bone smarties friends.
Things weigh us down when we least need it. You are an amazing wonderful woman! One day at a time dear friend, and if the day is too much, just take a good minute when it comes. Read a good joke and laugh - laughter is good medicine!
Praying for you in all aspects of this healing adventure.
 
I tried my bike on its trainer and was able to make a full rotation! It was a bit awkward but I could do it. I need to get a pump to put air in it’s tires so I can really use it. Then I’ll have it brought indoors so I can build up some more leg strength. Eventually I want to re-learn to ride my bike outdoors. I tried last year as was very shaky. With some added leg strength I should be able to ride again.

My knees continue to ache especially at the end of the day. Today the one that had the infection seems to be more irritable than usual. I’m off today so I’ll just rest it up. If it gets too bad I can take a tramadol. There has been no increase in my ROM. I think it’s at about the best it will be. I can go up a few steps foot over foot like an adult but I get tired very quickly. Coming down I still can only do it like a toddler one step at a time. This frustrates me to no end. I’m just glad I don’t have to use any stairs at work at all. I work on the first floor.

I had a quick phone interview with HR for the job opening. At this point I have to interview with my boss and one other one at the same time. I’ve not gotten a date for this yet, but I’m sure it will be soon since the woman who is leaving is only here for three weeks. (This week is week one). Whoever gets the job will require some training which would be good if she was around to go over everything. My company moves very slowly usually but she is leaving very soon and someone will have to pick up her responsibilities. There are a lot of reports to prepare each month and you have to stay on top of all the patients labs.
 
I hope you have the interview soon, Marian, and that you get the job. It would be much easier on your knees.
Have a nice, restful day off. :friends:
 
Crossing my fingers that you ace the interview and get the job. Happy, too, to hear you are making progress on your bike. It takes time to build up your muscles again, but you will ride it outside again. Same with the stairs. I was surprised how weak my leg muscles had gotten, and I wasn't out of commission as long as you were. It took me several weeks before I could easily walk up and down foot over foot. Easily being the key word. It came down to just doing it again and again until the muscles got stronger.
 
I pray that you get that new job. You have been on your feet too long! I also pray that you can come off of the antibiotics. You have been through so much these last years. It is time that things ease up for you! You are the best! No matter what you are going through, you always give yourself to others. Again you have my prayers!
 
Marian I am sending positive vibes and prayers your way both to be done with the infection and for the new job! Good luck!
 
No news on the job front yet. The company moves very slowly. There is another person applying but my boss asked my co-workers who they thought would be best and they all picked me. Hopefully my boss will too.

I still have to go get a bike pump to pump up my tires so I can use my bike on its trainer. Even though my ROM is not getting any better at least the muscles in my legs, which atrophied in my 5.5 months of relative inactivity, are strengthening and I can now feel some thigh muscles again. My one problem now is I got some cramping especially after a day of work. I’ve been trying to keep doing stretches throughout the day and it seems to help.

My days of taking the antibiotic are winding down. I’m hoping I’ll feel better overall. It will be nice to not take them. Hopefully the infection will not return. I can’t even think about what will happen if it does. I just try to stay positive. I’ve got a lot of people praying and pulling for me so that helps to keep the negative thoughts away. My last day of taking the drugs is on Halloween. Trick or Treat!
 
Here's to a Happy Halloween! Sending more positive thoughts your way. Think as little as possible about any negatives and let your body fill with all things positive. Slow and steady strengthening will get you to the other side of your atrophy. It may take a little while but you can definitely get there.

I hope you get news soon on the job! :praying:
 
It sounds like slow and steady improvement all round, Marian.
Not long now until you're off the antibiotics!

I do hope your boss chooses you for that new job. :fingersx: :prayer:
 
keeping fingers crossed for you and prayers coming your way to feel much better after quitting the antibiotics and to get that job. :fingersx::prayer:
 
I'm so sorry you've had such a difficult time.

I had a major set back in July which has been hard to overcome, due to a low toilet. I was 4 months post op.

We went to visit friends for a weekend and I had such a hard time with their low toilet. We got there about
4 pm on Friday and stayed until 11 am on Sunday. I have no idea how many times I used the bathroom, I'm guessing about 15 times.

By the time we got home my rom was shot and it's only in the last month or so that I've seen improvement.

Like your bathroom at work there wasn't hardly anything to hold on to to help me. My suitcase is somewhat small with a pull up handle so I can pull it, so it had a sturdy framework. I emptied it and kept it in the bathroom so I could push on it to help me up but I couldn't get it close enough for it to really help.

I have recently bought a portable raised toilet seat from Amazon that I will take with me when I know ahead that there will be a low toilet. I don't want to go through that again. I am going to make a tote bag to carry it in so it will not be obvious what's in the tote! It is embarrassing but not worth hurting myself again.

Sending a hug!
 
Mirian, I bet once you get off of that antibiotic, you're going to feel so much better!
 
Praying all goes well when you're off the antibiotics and that the job is yours soon.
 
Yay to the end of the Antibiotic coming soon! Hopefully that will be the end of this and all infections.
You are doing great! Don't let the dark cloud of pessimism spoil all the good that is happening. We are rooting for you!
 
My boss whimped out and instead of choosing one person he chose to give both of us the job. This will only involve about 6 hours of office work each week. That isn’t much of a change but I guess I should be happy with at least that much. The other woman is not very organized and I see problems ahead. Supposedly we each will get separate projects to be responsible for so I won’t have to depend on her for anything. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. I will continue to look for a different position within the company.

I’ve been able to start going up steps the normal way. I have to swing my leg out to the side a bit to be able to get up onto the next step. It’s a beginning and it’s going to take much more practice before I can do it without thinking about it and hanging onto the handrail. Going down is different. I’ve taken a step here or there going down first with my ‘good’ leg. I’m not very comfortable attempting that too often so I’ll just give it a little more time.

My granddaughter will be here in November and I’m looking forward to hugging her ( and my daughter) when she arrives. I’m praying the MRSA infection doesn’t come back or I won’t be able to see her for a long time. I wouldn’t want my daughter or granddaughter exposed to any possibility of infection. As soon as she is born I’m hoping I can spend a few days with them. Their house is small so I’ll probably commute the 90 minutes there each day. I’d do anything for my daughters so it’s not a terrible drive.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom