Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

The laundry’s done and a quick trip to the market completed so nothing but resting this weekend. Heading to Dallas for three days on Tuesday...
 
Excellent. Enjoy vegging.
 
The second trip is now over. A lot less walking and more sitting. Not sure which is worse. I am now at 8 weeks post op and the knee is still stiff and sore with certain movements. I'm not sure if this is "normal" or I am still recovering from the fall three weeks ago when I landed on my hands and knees. It doesn't hurt all of the time, so I am pretty sure I didn't break anything (is there anything to break?) I know I am overdoing things because it hurts more at night. Icing, though, doesn't seem to help (even if I ice for 45 minutes).

My next appointment with the OS is June 19th. They know I fell because I mentioned it when I asked for another Tramadol refund. Maybe I should call them again?
 
At less than 2 months it is quite normal to still have pain and discomfort. I wouldn't worry about it. Your soft tissues received some damage when you fell, but the implant is pretty much indestructible! Many of us have fallen on our new knees and not hurt the implant, just our tissues!
 
9 week/4 week update

I am nine weeks post op and it’s been four weeks since I tripped and landed on my hands and knees. I feel as if I’ve made no progress in these four weeks. From an activity standpoint, I’m managing ADLs, work, and short errands. I was hoping to be able to do more walking or get back into the pool. Unfortunately, my knee is saying NO. The knee is painful at rest (2) and with activities (5-7). It’s still swollen. I’m icing at least twice a day for 45-60 minutes.

The pain makes it difficult to sleep and I’m close to running out of both Tramadol (day) and Oxy (night). I also take Tylenol and Advil regularly. I’ve a call into the OS for refills on both. My next appointment is 19 June and I don’t know if I’m up to the 5 hour round trip drive. It’s very painful when I put my foot on the brake.

Between the traveling and the fall, I know I’ve probably overdone the activity but I should be seeing some progress, right?

I use the cane when I’m out of the house. At home, I’m mostly okay without it as there is furniture and walls to hang onto. Getting up is the biggest challenge and I’d say the pain level then is practically back to two weeks post op.

The OS knows I fell as I told them when I asked for a Tramadol refill. There weren’t any follow up questions so I presumed it’s only a soft tissue injury and will eventually heal.

Is it possible there is something else going on?
 
I think it's time for you to try and get an earlier appointment with your OS. Your knee needs to be xrayed to rule out any possible damage to it. I'm surprised he didn't tell you to come in when you called and told them that you had fallen on it. Please get it checked out.
 
I had a series of X-rays taken of my knee today. The OS should have the report on Monday. I am going to get a copy of the report and the films on Monday as well.

This will be a very quiet weekend.
 
Called OS on Friday and arranged to have X-rays taken in Orlando. Spoke to the OS office this morning. No more meds until I see him.[which is fair, I suppose; except for the 2.5 hour drive]. I collect a disc with the X-rays and head off for a very rainy drive.

Good news: nothing cracked or broken. Bad news: no definite answer for the additional and continued pain. Said my knee’s been abused by two operations and a fall. DX: soft tissue injury which will take time to heal. RX: start taking NSAIDs for inflammation in addition to the Tylenol for pain. I did get a script for 40 more Tramadol.

Since I just had X-rays this week, I don’t need to return for a year unless something’s not right. I sure hope the pain calms down before the Tramadol runs out.

I still have a few Oxycodone tabs left and a fair amount of Oxycontin extended release 20mg from the original surgery. I’m sure I’ll be fine. It is a relief to know I didn’t damage anything when I fell. Patience isn’t my strong suit so I guess I get to work on this for a while.
 
Bad news: no definite answer for the additional and continued pain. Said my knee’s been abused by two operations and a fall.
Between the traveling and the fall, I know I’ve probably overdone the activity but I should be seeing some progress, right?
I think you have your answers there - 2 surgeries, a fall, and 2 business trips that involved travelling.

That's a lot to ask of a knee so early in recovery and I'm pretty sure that the fall, plus the business trips, have led to your knee still hurting.
It all sounds like too much, too soon for your knee.

Heavens, we recommend taking about 12 weeks off work before resuming, and then only doing a
Phased return to work to start with .
Perhaps the business trips were unavoidable, but they can't have helped your knee.

Is there any chance that you can ease off business activities for a while, so that your knee can settle down again?
 
I wish I could back off a bit. I guess I figured since I work from home it would be easier/faster to get back to “normal” HA :rofsign:

I’m going to try and I know I only have myself to blame. I have another trip in three weeks so I’m going to make sure between now and then I do the minimum outside of ADLs. My mom has offered to help with laundry and shopping so I suppose I need to accept her help again.

I was so sure I could power through this. Boy, I was wrong: Superwomen i am not.

Thanks, Celle, for the repeated reminders. I needed it.
 
Power through. It’s difficult to ignore that impulse when that has been a successful strategy for most of our lives. I powered through college, children, a marriage, jobs... and I think you’ve been doing the same. Being strong and determined can get a person far. But powering through isn’t something knees do.

When it comes to TKR recovery, we want to think we’re in charge. If only that were true. But we aren’t. The knee is. Sometimes we just have to let our body do a thing its way. :shrug:
 
I'm glad your mom is going to help out. Take the help--you can always return the favor later.
 
Bad news: no definite answer for the additional and continued pain
Would you like me to try? I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
May 28, 10 weeks post-op update...
When I am working (at home) I use Alexa to remind me to move every 45 minutes or so and ice at least one a day after all for an hour or so. Pain is generally controlled with a Tylenol/Ibuprofen (1350/800 2 - 3x per day) combo plus the occasional 50-100mg of Tramadol. I do all of the cooking, laundry, pet care, and most of the grocery shopping. I’ve not yet ventured back to Costco. Maybe this week or next. I don’t use the cane in the house or garden. I do take it when I leave the house and it rides in the cart in the grocery.

Today, I took my first “on-purpose” walk as the start of a walking/strength training program. I walked to the end of my street and back with the dog. It was 1222 steps and .36 mile and took 12 minutes including one potty stop for Riley. I am going to try and do this every day. I went between rainstorms so it’s incredibly humid.

I use the Map my Walk app on the phone and used my cane. Taking the forced my to walk a little faster than I probably would on my own which is good. Can’t decide if I want to:
- keep this distance until I can walk it confidently without cane but with dog to keep pace.
- add distance until I am up to a mile with a cane and then work on not using cane.

My gait/stride are good and look around while I am walking.The walk was not pain free: about a 2 - 3. Of course, I’m now icing and elevating and the pain is probably at 5 counting the stiffness.

Attitude is pretty good considering I’m doing as well as expected. Like everyone else, I wish I was further along in my recovery.
 
Walking is such a good exercise for a new knee! Be careful with your dog and not let him pull you off balance.
 
My Riley is a 10# Shih Tzu so not much danger of her pulling me over. This slower pace, though, is good leash walking training, though. Even though she’s almost 8, I’m still hopeful on teaching her to heel.

I didn’t walk today as I’m planning on every other day. I was hoping to be able to post this was also my first day without Tramadol. It was, until, I tried to go to bed. Nope; now, waiting for it to take effect so I can sleep pain free. Today was just fine with only OTC Tylenol and Advil. No extra activity beyond ADLs so am not sure why the knee wants/needs surgery attention at bedtime. Grrrr.
 
No extra activity beyond ADLs so am not sure why the knee wants/needs surgery attention at bedtime. Grrrr.
It reacts that way because it's not even 1/4 of the way of a year long surgery. It will be wanting attention for a while yet. Nighttime is always the worse for all of us. Maybe it's because we're still and trying to sleep or it's just fussy because we did something during the day it didn't like. Whatever is the reason, it happens to all of us. Icing at night helps a whole lot!
 
You'll get there fairly soon I bet. My night med was the last to go too.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom