Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Hello Christa,
Lovely to hear from you after all this time especially given all the good news you shared! You've come so far.
We've been in your corner cheering you on and couldn't be happier to read your update. Thanks for the kind sentiment in regard to the forum and for sharing your journey here. A great rest of 2025 to you!
@celynda
 
It is great to read how well you have progressed after all the challenges you've been through! You are surely a trooper.
 
I can’t believe it’s been 18 months since my last post. Fair warning: this is mostly a rant…

My knee is acting up. It is painful if bent too far and I have pain frequently when walking. I bought a new walker and rollator from Wonder by Stander. The walker collapses similarily to an umbrella stroller. It’s light weight and I highly recommend. It has a removable tray and a carry bag. I use the walker in the house. I keep the the rollator in the car for going out and about. It’s a bit heavier than the walker but also collapses.

My current OS is with UVA in Charlottesville (a 2 hour drive). According to the xrays, the components aren’t loose or haven’t moved. According to her a was never promised a “pain-free” knee. My inflammatory markers (SED and CRP) are slightly elevated over the past year but not enough to be exciting.

I’ve lost another 30 pounds for a total of 70 in the last four years. Only have 50 more to go.:heehee: I’m on Zepbound 15 and am really pleased with the results.

I spoke to my original OS (Brian Chalmers at HSS) to see if there’s anything else to try or do I just wait until it gets so bad I consent to an amputation. I’m getting him copies of the latest scans/xrays from UVA. Once he has a chance to review them and consult with the UVA ortho, he’ll let me know his thoughts.

I’ve had to increase the gabapentin to keep the nerve pain under control. Within the last few months, I’ve been having sharp, tingling pains in the lower calf where the Gastroc flap repair was done. The pain starts in the calf (not shooting down from the back) and comes on suddenly without regard to activity level.

Rant over. Thanks for listening. Would love to hear any thoughts on the knee pain. I told the OS that the pain was bad enough to beg for a a knee replacement. Oops, can’t do that - already done (x3).

Christa
 
I am so sorry to read that your knee is still bad. I pray you can find a solution so you can avoid an amputation.
 
Hello Christa and welcome back. I am sorry for the pain that continues to plague you. :console2:
I do hope you hear some good news from your OS once he reviews your records and consults with the UVA ortho. Please keep us posted.
@celynda
 
I'm so sorry to read that you are in pain. I am curious about your gabapentin and the dosage. I am not a doctor nor in the medical field, but just curious because of how I my husbands gabapentin dosages are given. Did the surgeon prescribe it for you?

Sorry for the questions - I was just 'thinking out loud' on how to help you and your pain.
 
First, I congratulate you on your weight loss! What an accomplishment. And I hope you are able to reach your goal of losing 50 pounds more. No matter what the future brings, this will be a very positive thing for your future health and wellbeing.

I am sorry that no one has been able to get to the source of your pain and recommend something to help. It’s difficult for me to understand why this is happening. The only thing I could recommend would be additional opinions. But, I understand that there may come a point where that is not something you want to pursue.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom