Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

@mlwreader, not fun is so true. I sure hope it resolves as it's almost as painful as post-op pain. In fact, I was starting wean off the Tramadol until this happened.

Came back from the hospital and crashed for several hours. I plan on really limiting PT and other activity for a couple of days.

First ride in an ambulance and it wasn't bad. Good thing, I've already hit my out of pocket max for insurance.
 
Thanks for sharing the link to the article, I actually read it in the ED once the doc told me I didn't have a DVT and suggested it was a Baker's Cyst.
 
@celynda My baker’s cyst arrived pretty much like yours, only it was prior to surgery. It was crippling pain and I had to go to the ER and have the tests to rule out dvt. Just like you, ride in the ambulance, pain pills prescribed. It did get a little better, but the whole knee was a hot mess, as was the other one. Recently I wondered if it was possible that it might recur, and was told on bonesmart that it is possible. I hope yours resolves soon. I recommend you stay off it for a while - that’s what seemed to help mine.
 
Staying off of it is the plan. At the same time, I'm trying to wean off the Tramadol. It's been three weeks and it's time to start driving. The last in-home PT visit was today and I want to get back in the pool as soon as the incision is completely closed. I took the glue mesh tape off today and the incision looks pretty good. The PA suggested slathering Vaseline (petroleum jelly) over the incision and letting it sit for two hours. I also covered it with plastic/cling wrap to keep the gunk from getting on things.

My ROM is up to 110 which is fantastic. Now, if I could only the pain to under 5.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Revision #3 Journey
    Picture1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 259
Your incision looks good! Not going-in-the-pool good just yet, but it will get there. Sounds like everything is going well for you. Pain at three weeks is pretty much the norm, so why not use the Tramadol if you need it? Have you tried Tylenol? I found it quite effective. In fact, I skipped Tramadol altogether (I found out later my OS had written a script for me if I needed it, but no one told me) and just went straight to Tylenol. It worked really well.
 
It looks like you still have some healing to do on your incision. It's not a good idea to put anything on it now. Even after it heals, there's no reason to put anything on it. It will fade nicely.
 
Some milestones today:
  • No narcotics until 9 pm
  • 1682 steps
  • First day totally on my own
  • Several mini meltdowns; no fallen tears
  • Walked away from cane several times.
  • Sat with leg down at desk for 90 minutes doing taxes
It was tiring day. I didn’t realize how much I depended on having mom around. Starting Monday, I have Alexa remind me to get up, move, rest, etc. every 45 minutes or so.
 
Several mini meltdowns; no fallen tears
Don't stop the tears from falling if they want to. They are cleansing, both physically and emotionally!

For less than a month out, you are doing great!
 
Thanks, sistersinhim. Today is a good day so far. Took Tylenol at 6 and Advil at 8. Hoping to avoid Oxy and Tramodal as long as possible. Resting with dog on lap and elevating leg ever so often.

Looking around the house and seeing all the things needing doing. Don’t want to disturb sleeping dog. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
 
I like that story and yes, stick to it!
 
Today was not a good day. Pain level good but the poor me pity party started early and continued most of the day.

I’ve decided I tried to do too much work to soon. I’m going to boss I’m cutting back starting this week for the rest of the month. I have business trips placed for the 1st and 2nd week of May and I need to be sharp for them. I’ve alrea planned for wheelchairs and special accommodations.

Now, to write the email to the boss....:dubious:
 
Good luck with your email to the boss! It is really early for you to go back to work.
 
First, mystery of meltdowns partially solved. I’ve been taking an anti-depressant for mood swings since my hysterectomy 20 years ago. Yesterday, I realized I ran out of them on Thursday. This explains some of the teariness. It doesn’t explain all of the meltdowns and blahs since. At least it’s a partial explanation.

Second, I wrote the email to boss explaining the situation and letting him know I needed more time off. I passed off the new project to a contractor whom I’ll supervise. I’m taking this one week at a time. My focus is being physically and mentally ready for my upcoming business travel in May.

As far as the knee goes, no narcotics today, which is a good thing. Put the cryocuff away and using the old standby: peas. I’ve even maid some progress on the skirt I’m knitting.
 
I am glad you found a reason for your depression and mood swings. Unfortunately, mood swings are a part of this recovery process.

It sounds like you have work covered for a while. That has to be a load off of your mind! We recommend at least 12 weeks off of work, and then a gradual time going back. I week or more of half days is needed to give the knee and body time to adjust.

It's mighty early to get off of your pain meds, and if you are able to do it now, then you are doing great!
 
Bags of frozen veggies are surprisingly good for icing. My mom used nothing else for both her knee replacements. If you ever want to sit in on a rousing discussion of whether frozen corn is better than frozen peas, or maybe mixed vegetables, come to our family table. :snork:

Glad to hear you got the work situation taken care of. It's helpful to ease back in.
 
Finally got prescription for Effexor filled. Expect the weepiness to be much better tomorrow. I even drove for the first time post-op to pick up the prescription.

Walked further than ever this morning when the dogs (two Shih Tzus) decided this was a good day to drive mom batty. On most days (before surgery), I let them off leash when I go to get the mail. This morning, it was to bring in the garbage can. Rather than staying in the front yard and doing their business, they decided the neighbors yard looked good; and the next neighbor's and before all was said and done, Oreo was three houses down and Riley was in the same neighbors side yard. Oreo stopped for #2 which gave me a chance to get up and pick her up.

As I headed back to the house to put her away, I spotted Riley and she decided she was ready to come to Mom. So, after a trip of ~1500 steps at a pretty good clip, we made it home. I took a Tramadol and spent the next hour icing. The knee is still stiff and sore so am planning a very quiet tomorrow as well.

I am soooooooooooo ready for this to be over.
 
Hopefully your knee will recover well tomorrow and forgive you for some unexpected but important ADLs. Silly dogs, trying to get away with some extra freedom. I’m glad they didn’t go any further!
:doggie:
 
That 1500 steps is a pretty good workout for your knee. Yay for dogs, right? Sounds like all of you had some fun.
 
Back
Top Bottom