Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Those little stinkers! They thought they could get away from mom, but you showed them! Good job. Now, it's your job to baby that knee!
 
It’s amazing how much a difference, the right medication matters. After two days of being back on Effexor, I feel so much better, emotionally. The knee pain is manageable. I would probably be in less pain if I was better about using the cane inside the house. I can’t count the number of times, I’ve walked off and left it.

OTOH, took my car in for an oil change and 30 minutes each way plus sitting and waiting was no fun. Came home and am currently elevating and icing.
 
5 week update.

I way over did it Friday and Saturday and am still feeling the effects. If I hadn’t already been to Emergency thinking I had a DVT, I might be thinking it now. The calf pain I felt last week is still with me although it’s not the 10 it was then. Today, it’s more like an 8. Nothing I’ve tried seems to help.

Tomorrow I’m calling the OS for a refill on the Tramadol. I’m traveling the first two weeks of May and I need to be prepared.

I’ve decided against formal PT, instead I’m going work on walking more and when I get back from traveling, I’ll join the Y and use the pool to walk and do some gentle stretching.
 
I think you have made a wise decision about quitting PT. As active as you are, you are getting plenty of exercise. Be careful when you go to the pool. It is very easy to overdo. The water adds resistance which is just like using weights. You don't feel it at the time, but you will later. I know, I've been there!
 
Today wasn’t a good day...

First, I left the cane/stick at home when I went out. I parked right across the street from destination, which was good. I crossed the road with a median and headed for the covered walkway.
Then, I missed the 3/4” (2cm) edge between the car park and the sidewalk :bignono::banghead::censored:

Yep, I hit the sidewalk on my hands and knees. The non-surgical knee took the brunt of it and is pretty scared up. The surgical knee is very swollen and sore. I managed to crab walk to a nearby column and very slowly haul myself up. I have cerebral palsy and the non surgical leg is the weaker leg to begin with so I was a very painful process getting to my feet. If I hadn’t been at a church, I might have said some bad words louder than under my breath.

I made it to the appointment and then drove home. Icing, elevation and meds have helped; but I feel as if I’ve undone a few days of improvement.

I had planned to run several errands this weekend but am now seriously reconsidering those plans.
 
Oh no, I think you should plan to do nothing for the next couple of days, but just ice and elevate. Your implant is fine, I'm sure, but your poor soft tissues are suffering from your fall. It will take a week or so for those to calm down. Don't be surprised if you have to continue your pain meds for a while. But, icing is a great pain-killer, if you can get away with just that!

Please let us know how you're getting along.
 
Oh wow, one of our worst fears, a fall! And you were alone, worse yet. :console2:
I’m glad you were able to complete your appointment. Yes, lots of rest now.

I’m just curious, did you forget your cane or just thought you could manage without it?
 
I forgot it. I don’t use the cane in the house so it was next to the table with my purse. I picked up my purse and went out to the car. I didn’t even realize I forgot it until I was getting out of the car at my destination.

Today, it’s meds, ice, and elevation. Maybe even a nap.
 
It’s really easy to forget something we don’t need at home. When I was no longer using my cane around the house I kept it in the car instead. I usually did want it if I wasn’t home.
 
I have a cane in my car and my truck and in my roommate's car and truck. So, that's four of them, just in case! Since I've used a cane out in the public since the 80s, I have a large selection of them. Now, unless it's very crowded or icy, I don't need it anymore! You will soon get there, too. It takes a while to build up the security of not using a cane, but it does come! I hope you're feeling better!
 
I’m still paying for the spill. My knee is still swollen and feels like it’s out of place. I know it’s not; just the swelling. Even regressed to using cane in the house.

I am a recovering TKA woman, hear me roar. :tantrum2::gaah::gaah:
 
I still have a cane in my car, even though my last TKR is 3+ years old. I only use it if the ground is slippery or wet underfoot, but it's good to know it is there, should I need it.

I have another cane in my house, and my husband has been using it recently, following some surgery on his leg.
 
If you need the cane for a little while, it's good to know you have it handy. Sorry you're still feeling the effects of your spill. Hope your knee feels better soon, once that swelling subsides. :praying:
 
I leave tomorrow on the first of two business trips in two weeks. This one involves changing planes so I’ve arranged for wheelchair service on all four segments. I’m taking my cane and plan on going very slowly. I’m planning elevating and icing as often as I can while away.

I arranged for a refill of Tramadol so I should be set if I need more than Tylenol. I’m still pretty sore 4-5 most days and usually need an Oxy or Tramadol to get to sleep. Once asleep, I generally sleep through the night. I was very lucky this time as I’ve been sleeping through the night for a month now.

I’ll be home Thursday afternoon so I expect to spend Friday and most of the weekend elevating and icing.
 
Best wishes for a safe journey. This article might help you:
Flying soon after surgery

I hope everything goes well.
Look after that baby knee. Rest, ice and elevate it as often as you can.
 
I hope all goes well for you! Keep us posted!
 
I’m home after surviving the first business trip. The trip was exhausting. Over 1800 steps the first day; 4912, the second; over 5500 day three; and almost 4000 today.

Yesterday’s adventure included many steps and long ramps. By the end of the day, I was this close to crying uncle and going to the ER. Instead, I bailed on the evening reception, went back to the hotel, and spent an hour or so with ice and elevation.

I plan on doing mostly nothing Friday and the weekend so I can be ready for next week’s trip. I think it should be easier as the flights are direct and the meetings are all in the same location.

Taking the ZIP lock bags was a good suggestion and sure came in handy. They’ll be on the packing list again.
 
You made it through! I am surprised your baby knee did as well as it did. Good going! Now, baby that baby all weekend. She's earned it!
 
Back
Top Bottom