THR Recovery story

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
My oldest suggested I take a wet facecloth put it in a baggie and freeze it either rolled up or flat depending on how it will fit best.
Make sure you place fabric between the bag with the frozen cloth inside and bare skin. I don’t mean to be insulting, I’m sure you realize this, just don’t want to see you hurt yourself in any way. You may want to put an additional plastic bag over the frozen one in case it leaks as it melts. Many are advised not to get their incision wet for a certain number of days.
Yes I did! I used my sheet. My incision not near there but no I didn’t want the ice burn. They hurt. I remember that from being a kid. Some things you never forget and that is one.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
Tomorrow is my appointment with the surgeon to get the bandage off.
I’m so bored!! Going crazy and can’t imagine 4 more weeks of this. Feeling pretty low and depressed today. I knew I would be anxious to get back to life but didn’t expect to feel so down. Lost my appetite completely. I’m hungry but it takes me hours to eat something just because I don’t feel like it.
Nothing entertains me or takes my mind off it. So done with tv and videos. I would be perfectly happy with ditching my phone never looking at another app or game again.
I keep thinking tomorrow will be a better day.

Zoebichon

Country
United States United States
I had to remove both of my bandages myself after 7 days! I was terrified but it wasn’t hard. Underneath are steri-strips. The nurse called to make sure I removed it.

I’m actually enjoying my downtime. I had to work full time while raising three kids and I was always so busy! I have my downstairs nest where I spend most of the time resting, elevating and icing. And I love to watch YouTube on my tablet. There’s so much on YouTube. My husband watches tv in the den and I watch YouTube in the living room. We’re both retired and love this downtime!

You will be back in the world soon enough!

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I‘ll bet it will be a better day, Lyla. Getting out in the land of the living makes a big difference. It may tire you out though as those first outings can be exhausting. I’m sure you’ll receive a good report while at the surgeon’s office and that’s always uplifting also.

If you’re not that hungry, what about grazing? I dislike that term it always reminds me of a cow out to pasture. :heehee: You know what I mean though, several small meals throughout the day, or healthy snacks in place of meals, at the least.
Nothing entertains me or takes my mind off it. So done with tv and videos. I would be perfectly happy with ditching my phone never looking at another app or game again.
What about crossword puzzles, regular puzzles, coloring in an adult coloring book, research / plan a getaway for when you’re feeling better, start a recipe collection if you like to cook, read a book, page through magazines, call an old friend, catch up on emails, invite someone over for coffee and dessert. Arrange a lunch away from home with someone. You’ll be engaging in life once again soon. Hang in there, brighter days are on the way!

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
I‘ll bet it will be a better day, Lyla. Getting out in the land of the living makes a big difference. It may tire you out though as those first outings can be exhausting. I’m sure you’ll receive a good report while at the surgeon’s office and that’s always uplifting also.

If you’re not that hungry, what about grazing? I dislike that term it always reminds me of a cow out to pasture. :heehee: You know what I mean though, several small meals throughout the day, or healthy snacks in place of meals, at the least.
What about crossword puzzles, regular puzzles, coloring in an adult coloring book, research / plan a getaway for when you’re feeling better, start a recipe collection if you like to cook, read a book, page through magazines, call an old friend, catch up on emails, invite someone over for coffee and dessert. Arrange a lunch away from home with someone. You’ll be engaging in life once again soon. Hang in there, brighter days are on the way!
I have been talking on the phone with a very supportive friend daily. Actually they are not working atm so they drove me to my apt which was nice.
My youngest got some books from the school Library that look like they might be interesting and offered me to read them to. I might do that before bed to help me settle.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
Today I went to the surgeons. A friend drove me the only one who is not working all the time.
Got to the place of the app. And wow what a walk through the building get the elevator and main office. Then to his office. All seems to be good and I can have a “short “ shower. Not sure how that is possible with hair not washed in 2 weeks and it’s thick down to my butt now! I guess I will keep side ways in the shower most of the time. He also informed me contrary to what the nurse said I had a special bandage and short showers were ok the entire time!! Ugh.
The walk through the building was more walking then I do. Incision looks good but wants me to keep the walker until I’m comfortable ? What does that even mean?
I use my cane now and then because small spaces now but I guess this means I need to walk more. My legs are turned because of 4 years of damage but I know that will correct in time. Just need to work on balance.
Went for a drive around for a couple of hours after my app. It was uncomfortable but I did enjoy being out. 2 hour nap when I got home!

I decided despite walking more then normal I would also go for a short stroll around here. No matter what that walker is hard on my hands and falling apart lol. It’s time I pushed myself a bit each day if I want to recover. I know to respect my body but honestly it seems fear of injury is preventing me from progressing. A few short walks every day except rainy ones are important. Time to get out of my house !
The pain I have is normal so time to get moving. Honestly the fear of being in that kind of pain before has stopped me from tying lately. Can’t let that continue. I will be icing lots tonight ! Notice my right leg muscles hurt from compensating for so long and the thigh muscle in my left ( surgery leg) is tight. I know Ice ice ice!
Think I might get an Apple Watch and start step counting. Plus if I get into trouble I can call / text.
Hoping tomorrow my oldest comes and takes me out. If not it should be Thursday. Back pain is starting …
See surgeon in 4 weeks with X-ray. Already booked my X-ray app!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I can have a “short “ shower. Not sure how that is possible with hair not washed in 2 weeks and it’s thick down to my butt now!
The idea you mention further down in your post about turning away from the shower as much as possible is something I also tried to do. Some people use cling wrap, wrapped around their leg, over their incision for extra protection.
wants me to keep the walker until I’m comfortable ? What does that even mean?
It most likely means until you feel comfortable enough to begin transitioning to a cane.
My legs are turned because of 4 years of damage but I know that will correct in time.
I’m guessing internal or external rotation, which does correct itself over time. It became difficult for me to turn my leg, foot straight ahead, I experienced external rotation and my surgeon told me that surgery would correct it. At my three week post op I mentioned I was still noticing it and was reassured it would ease with time which it did.
Just need to work on balance.
I found heel-toe walking helped with that.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
No matter what that walker is hard on my hands
You could try wrapping a small hand or guest towel, thick wash cloth, even pot holders around the bars you hold on to and secure the ends with Velcro, strong tape, twine etc anything to secure whatever you use in place to help ease the pain for your hands.
It’s time I pushed myself a bit each day if I want to recover. I know to respect my body but honestly it seems fear of injury is preventing me from progressing.
You’re only two weeks post op tomorrow. I think you’re doing fine. Check out the Activity Progression for THR to be used as a rough gauge for activity for the first couple months. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

It’s good to read that your appointment went well and you were able to get out a bit. Getting out to smell the roses is a healthy part of recovery. :)

Boofit

Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
The pain I have is normal so time to get moving. Honestly the fear of being in that kind of pain before has stopped me from tying lately. Can’t let that continue. I will be icing lots tonight ! Notice my right leg muscles hurt from compensating for so long and the thigh muscle in my left ( surgery leg) is tight. I know Ice ice ice!
Yes Lyla, Ice is your friend. I bought 3 big ice packs before the operation, and am using them regularly now that I am home and they DO help. I am a firm believer.

I note that you are about 8 days ahead of me, and I have been reading your blog with interest. For boredom, what about try planning a roadtrip to the Rockies? That is a beautiful part of Canada and planning a trip for say a few months later would possibly help lift one's spirits up :)

Eman85

supremo
Country
For some the step counter is counter productive as they worry more about quantity instead of quality. I never counted steps but started off measuring time and distance. Found out that slow and steady with good form was the better way for me. I did a lot of my rehab walking using a shopping cart as a walker. For me it worked great and I wasn't noticed in the store as everyone has a cart. I was fortunate with the shower deal as I could shower the day I came home. I had a clear stick on tape over the incision and was told it was OK if it peeled off in the shower. I did all I could to soak it and scrub it and it never budged for the 2 weeks until it was removed.

Ocean

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Lyla, you seem to be doing so well and a shower will be wonderful. It’s lovely that you were out for a few hours, it cheers you up doesn’t it.

subie2021

senior
Country
@Lyla, Good for you for getting out for a while. I hope your Big Adventure isn't causing you grief today.

If you're looking at getting an Apple watch, I'll enable you! I really like mine a lot more than I thought I would. I got it a couple of years ago after I fell outdoors and no one was around. It has fall detection and will can a contact, then emergency services if I don't respond to its little buzzer wanting to know if I'm OK. That's a great relief for me, since I'm alone often and don't like lugging my phone around all the time. It has various activity trackers too, and will nag me to get up and move every hour. Since I'm old school the phone calling and texting things aren't something I use often but they're nice to have.

You might want to take a look at the OneStep pt app. There's an ad for it here on the BoneSmart site. They offer a free two week trial if you enroll and I think it's worth taking advantage of it. You don't need to do the pt exercises, although you might enjoy that part, but the gait analysis feature is really useful. All you do is open the app on your phone, stick the phone in your pants pocket (or hold the phone against your thigh) and go for a 30 second walk. Then, you get a scored analysis of your gait! It measures stride length, whether you're limping, speed, and more. I found it to be useful to see where I needed improvement, and also to be motivating in that it was fun to try to beat previous scores. My first score was 58, and improved to the mid 90s - hitting 99 a few times.
The pt part was awesome too and I did 8 months' worth; my therapist was great about working around my restrictions and making alternative moves for me.
You can check out a "how it works" video on their website...I don't think we're allowed to post commercial links here, so I won't, but you can easily find it on the ad or google.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
Yes Lyla, Ice is your friend. I bought 3 big ice packs before the operation, and am using them regularly now that I am home and they DO help. I am a firm believer.

I note that you are about 8 days ahead of me, and I have been reading your blog with interest. For boredom, what about try planning a roadtrip to the Rockies? That is a beautiful part of Canada and planning a trip for say a few months later would possibly help lift one's spirits up :)
the Rockies? Oh dear I live days away from there. I’m in Nova Scotia. Atlantic coast. I don’t have anyone who is available to do even a short trip here. My kid on her day off came by and took me for errands. She planned a fun day out at a park but it poured buckets!! It would be so nice to see the Rockies but I don’t think I could handle that kind of drive right now. Does sound amazing though. Our weather this year not as hot as usual yet otherwise I trip to the highlands near by would be wonderful.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
@Lyla, Good for you for getting out for a while. I hope your Big Adventure isn't causing you grief today.

If you're looking at getting an Apple watch, I'll enable you! I really like mine a lot more than I thought I would. I got it a couple of years ago after I fell outdoors and no one was around. It has fall detection and will can a contact, then emergency services if I don't respond to its little buzzer wanting to know if I'm OK. That's a great relief for me, since I'm alone often and don't like lugging my phone around all the time. It has various activity trackers too, and will nag me to get up and move every hour. Since I'm old school the phone calling and texting things aren't something I use often but they're nice to have.

You might want to take a look at the OneStep pt app. There's an ad for it here on the BoneSmart site. They offer a free two week trial if you enroll and I think it's worth taking advantage of it. You don't need to do the pt exercises, although you might enjoy that part, but the gait analysis feature is really useful. All you do is open the app on your phone, stick the phone in your pants pocket (or hold the phone against your thigh) and go for a 30 second walk. Then, you get a scored analysis of your gait! It measures stride length, whether you're limping, speed, and more. I found it to be useful to see where I needed improvement, and also to be motivating in that it was fun to try to beat previous scores. My first score was 58, and improved to the mid 90s - hitting 99 a few times.
The pt part was awesome too and I did 8 months' worth; my therapist was great about working around my restrictions and making alternative moves for me.
You can check out a "how it works" video on their website...I don't think we're allowed to post commercial links here, so I won't, but you can easily find it on the ad or google.
Awesome. I might do this to get into shape again to. Then sell it off . Trying to get rid of technology as much as possible. I just think it will be handy to help me recover. I want to get back to real life and ditch the phone and use my computer when I need to go online. I missed 4 yrs if life and then some.
It would be great though for the next year to help me along.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
The last few days … ugh the ups and downs!!
The next day after my dr app I hurt a bit when I got up so I laid down with ice for an hour and got up and moving.
My kid took me out to get some supplies and I only brought my cane. Used the grocery cart in the store and when we went to walmart used the electric scooter thingy. I felt so much stronger on my feet!! I got pretty tired out from the day with no nap either. Sitting up and walking was really tiring. I did get a step stool to help me get back into my bed and off the coach. Took some fiddling but I got it figured out. Had the best sleep that night !
Again woke up a bit sore and forgot the ice pack but once I got up and moving all was good and took an hour to laydown with ice. It rained really hard the next day so no walk.
Oh and when I showered and washed my hair I found we had a tagaderm strip that covered the worst part. I still have a couple of stitches and covered them. I did forget to buy more.
Yesterday was a lot of rest because of the rain but not a bad day. I used my cane around the house all day. I am walking better then before.
Today was an ok day but my ankle was a little sore. I did notice when I got back from the surgeon visit the other day there was a bit of yellow bruising.
Today though I went for a short walk around my street the entire way (yay me!) with the walker. Not ready to walk outside without the walker yet. Around the house all is good but need to build a bit more strength before doing that outside. When I got home my ankle hurt a lot … when I looked down it’s huge! So swollen and idk why. I’m going to attach a photo just to show how bad it is.
Awaiting the day to be able to shave my legs lol.
Sometimes I actually forget to be careful and to not move certain ways. It’s challenging ! Today I had my good knee on my bed starting to climb and put it down thinking what am I trying to do? I have walked away holding furniture from my cane to. Trying to remember to keep my knee from bending at 90 degrees and thinking I know I have done the no no ‘s a few times. I forget I had surgery because the pain is mild and sometimes not there at all. Keeping my leg elevated does give that upper inner thigh pain but I know I have to do it.
The biggest reason I moved from the walker to the cane in the house day after my app is because I kept forgetting it.
I do hope the ankle thing is no big deal and that it heals and don’t keep happening.
Thank you @Layla for all your wonderful suggestions. You do have so many great ideas!
5FE2B542-0FC6-4CCC-8036-FB90CABFBA24.jpeg

Sohowarrior

Country
I have residual ankle swelling but not worried. I wake up with no swelling, as the day goes on it swells a bit, more if I have a lot of salty food. Not painful, just annoying. As I type this now at 10:30, I’d say just slightly swollen. If this turns out to be my biggest THR post surgery issue, not complaining!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi Lyla,
Thanks for your kinds words. The swelling is normal. Early in my recovery I noticed it seemed to increase if I was too sedentary, or from overactivity. When lying down remember “toes above nose”. Elevation should help.

The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice.

Shaving - There is a recovery aid called the Giraffe Razor. Amazon carries it, but it’s currently unavailable. Search up Giraffe Razor online and see if it interests you.

Glad to read you slept well in your comfy bed overnight. Hopefully there will be a repeat again tonight. Sweet dreams! :yawn: :sleep:
@Lyla

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
@Sohowarrior i agree! If this is the worst I can deal with it.
@Layla thank you that does feel better to hear. I was a bit concerned something happened to my ankle. It went from yellowish bruising on Tuesday to swelled up today and purple in spots. Causing a bit of pain in the leg just above. Feels like a sprain. It’s possible it is sprained or surgery. I couldn’t find anything concerning and hearing this is normal puts me at ease a bit. Annoyed because of course I didn’t get to go for a walk again tonight. I live in a very tiny loop but the 2 small hills are challenging I didn’t want to venture out again with this ankle.
I always say injured above heart. I like the nose thing easier to gauge when laying.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
In all honesty I wasn’t concerned until I was talking to my oldest daughter that of course jumped to dvt. I didn’t think it was that but she got me thinking it was something more then normal. Kids find a way to stress you one way or another lol

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Feels like a sprain. It’s possible it is sprained or surgery. I couldn’t find anything concerning and hearing this is normal puts me at ease a bit.
Hopefully you’re resting, elevating and icing and if symptoms worsen, for peace of mind, check in with your OS for advice or reassurance.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
Feels like a sprain. It’s possible it is sprained or surgery. I couldn’t find anything concerning and hearing this is normal puts me at ease a bit.
Hopefully you’re resting, elevating and icing and if symptoms worsen, for peace of mind, check in with your OS for advice or reassurance.
I noticed some of the swelling went down today and the bruising is a bit more purple. I do have sprain issues with my feet which is until my kid had me nervous I was completely ok. I will check in if it don’t improve in a few days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
avariciou5
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom