Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery story

When I went to use my ice pack I realized I forgot to put it in the freezer ‍
Since icing is so beneficial it is nice to have more than one ice pack so you always have one ready. Also, you may be able to find some larger ones on Amazon.

I lucked out with the one my surgery center sent me home with. It was basically two ice pack pockets, sewn down the middle with Velcro closures. I could either fold it in half, for double thickness and longer cooling effect, or open it wide to cover a way larger area. Loved it! Still have it. I hope you’re able to get another so you have relief at hand when needed. Happy Saturday, Lyla!
Yes my daughter had those in the hospital. When I was there they told me nothing about icing and elevating. My Amazon is not working for some reason I have been trying for days. I went to walmart yesterday to find one but they only had really small hand size.
The swelling is unreal today and an awful pain in my butt. Literally there is a horrible pain in my butt. Ugh.
It’s one of those days but I know it will get better.
 
I do wish I had an ice cast of my leg … at least the thigh!
Funny, I was just thinking about this myself - I'm right around the same point in recovery. If I remember from my last hip, the bruising will show up as the swelling goes down... Hooray?
Yeah I to am noticing dark purple bruising getting worse around my dressing. I know it’s temporary. It only hurts if I’m in the car because of the seatbelt. Learned that yesterday.
 
Ugh…I’m so sorry!
Does your local WalMart deliver? Or any drug stores? Pharmacies have gel ice packs.
I had that glute pain also. It felt like I was sitting on a golf ball. I sure hope you can get some ice and relief soon. :console2:
It only hurts if I’m in the car because of the seatbelt.
I noticed this too. I used to place an ice pack in between my incision and the seat belt buckle, which really irritated my leg. After a time, I used a hand towel / guest towel, whatever you may call it. I found that folding the small towel and placing it between the seat belt buckle and my leg really helped. I experienced the posterior approach as I believe you did also.
 
Ugh…I’m so sorry!
Does your local WalMart deliver? Or any drug stores? Pharmacies have gel ice packs.
I had that glute pain also. It felt like I was sitting on a golf ball. I sure hope you can get some ice and relief soon. :console2:
It only hurts if I’m in the car because of the seatbelt.
I noticed this too. I used to place an ice pack in between my incision and the seat belt buckle, which really irritated my leg. After a time, I used a hand towel / guest towel, whatever you may call it. I found that folding the small towel and placing it between the seat belt buckle and my leg really helped. I experienced the posterior approach as I believe you did also.
That is a great idea! Never thought of that. Will need to do if I need to go out or still sore at the time of my appointment with the surgeon.
I did have posterior approach due to bad damage.

I thought I would try an exercise that is given. The one where you stand and bring your knee up but keep below 90 degrees … that’s not a problem to go past because I can’t lift my leg up at all … I should have known because I could not do this before surgery. It’s been a long time since I could lift that leg at all and now it’s extra hard to bend. Not sure if this will correct with time or I need PT to help it.
 
Lyla,
That knee lifting exercise *was* the pt I was given the day after my THR.
I had log leg, and couldn't move my knee much at all. Over the course of a week I felt good about getting maybe 1/2 inch, then an inch...it continued to improve over time. My home pt guy had me also try it sitting on the edge of a chair, and that was more difficult.
Like you, I had difficulty lifting that knee prior to surgery...as in not being able to lift it enough to slide my foot into my slippers. But at around 5-6 months post op I found I was able to lift my leg and balance on the other one well enough to put my pants on like a big girl!
Your muscles are weak from underuse and abuse pre-op, and now they've been traumatized, so they'll need a little time to get back to strong and healthy.
Keep working at it - without overdoing of course! You'll get there! :dancy:
 
Lyla,
That knee lifting exercise *was* the pt I was given the day after my THR.
I had log leg, and couldn't move my knee much at all. Over the course of a week I felt good about getting maybe 1/2 inch, then an inch...it continued to improve over time. My home pt guy had me also try it sitting on the edge of a chair, and that was more difficult.
Like you, I had difficulty lifting that knee prior to surgery...as in not being able to lift it enough to slide my foot into my slippers. But at around 5-6 months post op I found I was able to lift my leg and balance on the other one well enough to put my pants on like a big girl!
Your muscles are weak from underuse and abuse pre-op, and now they've been traumatized, so they'll need a little time to get back to strong and healthy.
Keep working at it - without overdoing of course! You'll get there! :dancy:
Thanks! Gives me hope. Right now with the swelling as bad as it is my skin feels so tight on top of everything else going on. I will do what I can without strain. I did the side one but only small and yet it hurt the inside thigh. Again before surgery things were so bad I could only move this leg by lifting it with my hand so it will take some extra time. Idk what I was expecting magic perhaps? We will get there !
I was suppose to be doing these from the start only no one told me. I didn’t get much movement in today. I spent most of the day sleeping with ice and elevation. It was a rainy day added in the meds and poof! Couldn’t stay awake! Makes me nervous being so still and having so much swelling. Weather will be good tomorrow so I will get out on the street in front of my house for a short walk.
 
Last 2 days have had some pain. I did end up almost falling off the raised toilet seat and since then a bit of pain on inner thigh up where it connects ? Anyway I ditched it! It’s too tall and very dangerous for someone with shorter legs.
I did stop taking all extra meds except the ASA and stomach pill. Cut back my regular meds I used before surgery. Not loving the high feeling I was getting it had to be done. I will if need to start some. I don’t want to hurt a lot but I also want to be able to stay awake!
I have not been able to get much walking in. Keep my leg up and ice on most of the day and night. It’s not comfortable!
I keep thinking soon this will pass and I’ll be walking on my own.
Anyone else find it hard to walk on the leg ? It’s like I forget how to use it. I put way too much weight on the walker and really need to think bend my knee.
Hoping tomorrow will be a better day.
 
Last night ended up back on some of the meds. I will just have to keep adjusting as to how I feel! I’m not going to suffer in pain but I won’t be over medicated to the point of not being able to stay awake either.
 
You're only about a week out, right? Cut your self some slack!
Remember that you're going to heal at your hip's pace, not at your expectations' and certainly not at anyone else's.
Stick with your pain meds as needed. It's better to use them to stay comfortable, than to skip doses and then try to get rid of pain. If what you've been prescribed doesn't work for you, call the OS office and ask for a change. My surgeon had prescribed oxycodone at first and it whacked me out, made me too dizzy to stand, and made me really nauseated; a call to his office, a change in meds, and all was well.
If you're still needing to elevate your leg, and keeping it straight gives you grief, try arranging your pillows to give your knee a slight bend. Keeping it locked can stress it out while the little bend allows it to relax a little.
About the toilet seat, my first one was pretty tall and had the handles on it, I'm short, 5'2" so I was glad to ditch it. But I found I still needed a booster so found a more basic model on Amazon that was not as tall. That one worked out great and I used it for 2-3 months. I found that with either of them, it was best to check often that they were fastened securely to prevent wobble or worse.
Best wishes for a good day today, and going forward.
 
@Lyla I hope you get the pain management side of things figured out - it's different for everyone. With my first hip I had "log leg" as well. I also couldn't move that hip very well before surgery, and I think the trauma of the implant made some of my muscles decide to just take a vacation for a while. As others have said, time, ice, and rest + walking as best you can are great healers. It sounds like you might be as naturally impatient as I am! Just know that it all sounds pretty normal for this point.
 
One week in, don't get frustrated yet you still have a long road to go. First weeks are nothing but sit, ice walk to the bathroom. Pain meds are there to get ahead of the pain, waiting until I was in pain didn't seem to help. I used a bedside commode frame which is height adjustable and was sturdy with arms to help lift up from sitting. I tried the donut deal it was horrible and mine had arms.
 
@Lyla I hope you get the pain management side of things figured out - it's different for everyone. With my first hip I had "log leg" as well. I also couldn't move that hip very well before surgery, and I think the trauma of the implant made some of my muscles decide to just take a vacation for a while. As others have said, time, ice, and rest + walking as best you can are great healers. It sounds like you might be as naturally impatient as I am! Just know that it all sounds pretty normal for this point.
I think I did get it figured out. I cut back my gabapentin to 2x per day (previous surgery was 4x per day ) take the Celebrex at night with the ASA and stomach pill (because of ASA I have something to protect my stomach) my normal meds still at 4x per day and then the dilaudid as needed. Pretty good with using ice ( not much today because it’s sooo cold! ) elevation seems to be pretty minimum. However back and other things hurt and really want more movement !
 
One week in, don't get frustrated yet you still have a long road to go. First weeks are nothing but sit, ice walk to the bathroom. Pain meds are there to get ahead of the pain, waiting until I was in pain didn't seem to help. I used a bedside commode frame which is height adjustable and was sturdy with arms to help lift up from sitting. I tried the donut deal it was horrible and mine had arms.
This is what I was going to use for a raised toilet seat but instead got the other one. I don’t need anything though my legs are pretty short lol. I have a bathtub seat that goes both inside and outside of the tub that lines up with my toilet seat that I use to help me up and down. I had all the gear expect raised seat from my daughters surgery. Rare spinal cord tumour thankfully benign. She was never suppose to walk again but she is doing it! Doesn’t use anything but a knee brace.
 
Got my 2nd ice pack today. At least I can keep switching them out. Today was so cold I avoided ice … I slept most of the day anyway and have been up most of the night ! Ugh.
I really could use some tips please for anyone who used a walker on how to put less pressure on the walker. My hands are so sore!! I didn’t realize I was doing this. If I want to learn how to walk again in a normal manner I need to stop putting all the pressure on the walker!
 
I had this problem too and found that wrapping something around my hands did help. You could also try wrapping a bandage or something similar around the handles, so long as it's secure.
 
Leaning on walker gave me shoulder pain...ughhh
Does your walker have rubber handles? Mine did and that made it comfortable for my hands.
It's on June 1 so don't beat yourself up.
 
If you’re an Amazon shopper, they have a variety of hand grips for walkers in various price ranges. Check it out. I borrowed a walker from my dad for my THR and he had previously attached some tubular thick foam that he slit along one side and placed over the walker handles. I’m assuming it was inexpensive and worked very well. I hope you find a solution that brings you relief.
@Lyla
 
I really could use some tips please for anyone who used a walker on how to put less pressure on the walker. My hands are so sore!! I didn’t realize I was doing this. If I want to learn how to walk again in a normal manner I need to stop putting all the pressure on the walker!
From my past experience, go as slow and steady as you need to and focus on your fair - one of my neighbors / good friends happens to be a physical therapist focusing on brain and spine recoveries, so she works a lot with people re-learning how to walk. Shortly after my first hip, I was zipping around in my walker and thought I was doing great, until she pointed out that I was going fast but had entirely the wrong mechanics.
 
Is your walker adjustable? You say you're short you might have it too high. If you try to walk too fast it can cause problems. I used it more for stability and didn't have to carry myself through the step with my op leg, I was able to put pressure on my leg.
 
Leaning on walker gave me shoulder pain...ughhh
Does your walker have rubber handles? Mine did and that made it comfortable for my hands.
It's on June 1 so don't beat yourself up.
Yes it does and my shoulders are killing me. Especially my right one that still has 2nd degree whiplash. I am afraid if this continues it will get as bad as it was when fresh. Makes recovery a tad difficult
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom