THR Recovery story

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
I got put to sleep it was my choice. Osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis ,scoliosis I was not risking a spinal. Enough problems there. The Anaesthesiologist prefers spinal but had no problem and agreed it was the best decision for me.
They woke me up on the way to recovery and I woke up screaming ,crying in so much pain. A lot of mental confusion I remember actually dreaming !!! Weird!
At this point they wanted me to spend the night to help control my pain. Once they had my pain under control I still cried over every little thing I cried and refused a bed pan so they agreed to let me with assistance use a Commode. I got onto it I peed and got into the bed unassisted much to their horror
I got to my room, they gave me a private but I still insisted I got home.
I argued I wanted outside and to have a smoke. They got me a wheelchair and said I had to wait for someone to come visit and take me down … again I argued got my wheel chair and wheeled myself outside it was a beautiful day out and I told them I’m not being stuck in a room looking out a window seeing a gravel roof.
They let me go and I stayed outside for over an hour chatting with others. Texted my daughter I’m coming home. So she said she was on her way.
Got back to my room … nurse was looking for me and said dr signed off on me leaving.
I forgot to mention before I went outside I did see the PT who did a quick assessment and although I passed everything including stairs he didn’t want me to go home so he refused to answer my questions telling me if I stayed I would know the answers !! Also although most of the nurses were great there was some very rude aggressive nasty few. Like the one who did a rapid Covid test . Purposely rough with me for asking questions. He was annoyed and I had to jerk my head back from him. It was a rapid and not pcr yet he was driving it up far and roughly causing my nose to burn. Instead of a simple test that they say it is it felt violating.
I knew it would be negative but asking about what happens if it comes back positive and if I can still get my surgery is not a good reason to treat people badly. My nose is still sore and burning. Anyway I don’t want to focus there it was just upsetting that asking questions ended with a few people angry. Thankfully if I go to PT it won’t be with the hospital guy who don’t like to ask questions about anything. Just told me 3 don’ts. So happy this forum is here.
The day yesterday ended with me exhausted and very very high! I have 10 different medications. Mainly because I was on a lot before and now I have an insane increase of one of them. The dose is optional and I have not hit that amount it is allowed if need be. Even yesterday that was rough I didn’t take it but we will see what today brings. The dr was afraid of uncontrollable pain being the only reason he wanted me to stay. Yesterday I may
Have over done it. No naps for me. I got home stayed sitting and walking with a walker.
Still don’t know how to ummm wipe without twisting , bending and having a raised toilet seat. more difficult then I had thought. Felt like I pulled something trying.
This morning I’m pretty sore. I got my kid to get me an ice pack and fell asleep with it. I fell asleep she moved things from above me and both kids were in their words noisy yet I stayed asleep until I had to pee. I slept on the coach my bed is too high to get into. Comes to just under my butt cheeks.
Also I had posterior approach. I asked my surgeon and he got a bit snippy but did come back later to talk and tell me the risks are too high with any other approach because of the extensive damage. Yet the incision is on the side ? Little confused of that. Butt sore today when I sat down. Trying to lay a bit more today but not too much. I went from laying most of the day to escape pain to yesterday’s eventful tons of moving and sitting.
Will look trough the forum for more info once I got my coffee into me… kids didn’t leave me a cup down I’ll have to wake them it’s 7 am now I was patient enough. kidding I can’t wake my kids yet. They deserve the rest after last nights catering to me and the catering to me today they will be doing. Everything is a reach on toes!!

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
I also wanted to say with the exception of getting up to pee I slept 5 hrs. I might have slept longer but I’m use to getting up at 6am to take my meds. I wanted to sleep earlier but we had a very late dinner (11 pm) because of all the stuff my daughter had to do before cooking like getting my meds when they were filled and running to the store to get things like the raised toilet seat which my surgeon marked must have. She also cleaned the coach and cleaned sheets for the coach. This is where I’m sleeping so she wanted to make sure it was clean.
I think I might go back to sleep for a bit this morning my meds making me drowsy

Mojo333

Staff member since August 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hi @Lyla
Glad you finally got a "nest" situated after a rough day.
The toilet riser is certainly a necessary aide unless you have a very tall toilet.
:sigh: All Temporary!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines may help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello Lyla,
Its good to hear you’re home and it sounds as though you have a loving attentive family caring for you. You taught them well! I do worry though that you have just enough tenacity to overdo your recovery early on, possibly stalling it. I’d hate to see that for you. You are recovering from controlled trauma to your body, a major surgery and it’s best to get rest early on as well as sleep in the form of naps as our body does its best healing when we’re asleep, so please take advantage of some extra shut eye at this point. You really don’t need to be moving around much other than a break to walk for five-ten minutes every hour or so. A trip to the bathroom, or kitchen to get a
drink / snack can accomplish that. Check this article out from the Recovery Guidelines as a “rough gauge” for activity in these early weeks. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Also, if you’re not icing, please read the article on ICE in the Recovery Guidelines, Mojo, left above under Number Two. It’s a great pain reliever.
Wishing you a good day and all the best as you begin healing!
@Lyla

subie2021

senior
Country
Lyla, for the bathroom hygiene issue, try using the tp or wipes in the hand opposite your new hip. You might find it easier to not turn in with the foot of your operated hip side - something us posties aren't supposed to do.
I hope your recovery continues to go well. Take it really easy for a couple of weeks - good luck!

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
Day #2
It’s after dinner and I’m starting to feel stiff and sore a bit more but generally pretty good.
I have an appetite I had not had in a while.
I woke up early and leftovers were on the top shelf and little plates were reachable no stretching so I heated up some breakfast before anyone awoke.
Had to use coffee cup from last night but no big deal. Ate at the counter and my kid cooked an amazing dinner on the bbq.
Making a plan for when she leaves to go home Friday night. She will be back on her days off for laundry meal prep etc.
I do have the wet TP and use them to make sure I’m clean. Getting baby wipes for wipe downs of my body.
My concern with the raised toilet seat , I did 2 incident in the bathroom one because it’s hard to maneuver when it’s just your toes touching the floor! I pulled a bit trying to get off. I’m 5’4” short but not that short! The other I dropped my wet ones in the toilet and not thinking quickly bent down to get … learned my lesson!! It felt like a stitch or staple pull. Although no blood or fluid leaked out through the bandage. It was a reaction not thinking !
I found I can walk with my cane I only tried a small area but will still use my walker for now.
I’m finding tonight I’m really stiff and sore. I’m using ice pack but today it cooled off too quickly so saving it for bedtime to make sure it stays cold longer.
I cut back one medication if I notice I need it will take it but I’m still on a lot of heavy medication. I don’t like the doped up feeling and it seems to me it’s a bit dangerous to be that drugged.
Tired most of today so I didn’t walk much but I did go to the bathroom a lot. Raised toilet seat I can’t sit comfortably enough to empty my bladder. I wish it was a bit shorter but can’t find one. Thinking I might need to use the commode on top of the toilet (had it for when my kid couldn’t walk after her surgery )
All in all day 2 is not that bad !! Not nearly as bad as I thought after yesterday waking up.
I tried to nap but only got 3 hrs broken across the day. I keep getting woke up by the phone. Waiting for the dr to call with information so I don’t want to turn it off.
Tomorrow I have to go to the bank which means getting in the car. A little nervous but really even if it’s just one little trip I certainly look forward to it. I will rest the rest of the time but it’s important I make this appointment. I am resting but still trying to walk around some. Trying to learn to walk properly which is why I prefer to use the walker right now. I spend time out on my deck sitting in my chair enjoying the nice weather. I can’t garden right now but I can at least enjoy the sun on my face! My cat is scared of my walker but also wanting to be with me so much he scratched me trying to jump around the walker to get beside me on the coach.
Seeing what tomorrow brings! I will listen to my body and let it dictate what and when I should do things.

Eman85

supremo
Country
I’m using ice pack but today it cooled off too quickly so saving it for bedtime to make sure it stays cold longer.
I'd make up or buy more ice packs one will never last long enough to make a difference. I know there's instructions on the site for making ice packs.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
I’m using ice pack but today it cooled off too quickly so saving it for bedtime to make sure it stays cold longer.
I'd make up or buy more ice packs one will never last long enough to make a difference. I know there's instructions on the site for making ice packs.
Yes I think when I go to the bank we will make a stop at walmart for ice packs and for a reacher! necessity is the mother of invention … tired of inventing new ways to pick things up I drop . Used a swifter broom sitting to pick up my glasses I dropped. So clumsy I have been! Used a bbq brush to pick up my phone etc.
The ice is helping lots I have been so stiff and sore. The good news is I’m not feeling that old pain. It’s gone!! The new pain is nowhere near as painful and I know it’s not going to hang around long.
I had a posterior and it’s a bit sore sitting on my coach. It’s a firm coach but I got too much junk in the trunk so it’s sore. That is the pain I have now. Stiffness and soreness much easier to handle then what I had.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
day #3 and this morning ( actually last night ) started to feel the pain of stiffness and soreness. Much better pain then before and so bearable compared to what I went through before surgery!! 4 years of no hip makes for lots of pain but now relief!!
Going to the bank and walmart. I will not be walking though that is too much for me atm I do realize that but will be pushed in a wheelchair. Getting more ice packs and a reacher! Maybe 2 teachers lol.
My daughter goes home today so I need to be sure I have everything until her next day off.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
My ankle and leg had some severe swelling last night. I have been conservative with propping my foot up. I got it up more over night.
Couldn’t find any decent sized ice packs at walmart they were all palm sized. Forgot to get the alcohol to make my own. When I went to use my ice pack I realized I forgot to put it in the freezer .
I did get to talk to a nurse that works with my surgeon. It appears they do want me to do a bunch of exercises … I’m going to take that slow. I find with the swelling I’m not moving as well as I did on days 1& 2.
She did say because of my height I’m on the cusp of needing a raised toilet seat and I can try taking it off and see what works for me. My legs are short and I might not benefit from it. Also had a few other questions answered which was great!
Nothing too eventful except huge ankles from so much swelling that is not so bad after putting my legs up. Think I’ll be keeping them up a lot this morning.
Walker wheels are getting stuck not sure why. Hoping the rain isn’t bad and I can go for a short walk on the pavement to get some movement in. My house is super tiny I don’t really have space to move.

Country
I had a bunch of swelling first few days as well. Elevation and ice is the answer.
I walked around my dining room table first several days and my phone counts my steps so I would gauge my activity using that info.

newguy

Country
Swelling for a couple of weeks day 3-10 was mine. Ice helped getting leg up level not too high .

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
I had a bunch of swelling first few days as well. Elevation and ice is the answer.
I walked around my dining room table first several days and my phone counts my steps so I would gauge my activity using that info.
I never thought of this! Step counts is a great way to gauge your progress. I do wish I had an ice cast of my leg … at least the thigh! Never seems to be large enough.

OP
OP
L

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
Swelling for a couple of weeks day 3-10 was mine. Ice helped getting leg up level not too high .
I was told to make it as high as I possibly could without pain. I slept 5 hrs last night foot above heart level. My knee is straight laying like this just a incline no bend.

newguy

Country
I was trying to avoid 90 degree rule . I used two pillows on an ottoman. Slept on a chair first 10 days . On my back . I got up every 2 hours to walk around the house with the walker for those first few weeks . It gets better just accept that the healing takes time . They did some construction inside our bodies!!

JoeKnows

senior
Country
I do wish I had an ice cast of my leg … at least the thigh!
Funny, I was just thinking about this myself - I'm right around the same point in recovery. If I remember from my last hip, the bruising will show up as the swelling goes down... Hooray?

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
When I went to use my ice pack I realized I forgot to put it in the freezer ‍♀️
Since icing is so beneficial it is nice to have more than one ice pack so you always have one ready. Also, you may be able to find some larger ones on Amazon.

I lucked out with the one my surgery center sent me home with. It was basically two ice pack pockets, sewn down the middle with Velcro closures. I could either fold it in half, for double thickness and longer cooling effect, or open it wide to cover a way larger area. Loved it! Still have it. I hope you’re able to get another so you have relief at hand when needed. Happy Saturday, Lyla!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
avariciou5
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom