Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovery Progress Stalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing a little research both here and on google and I think I’ve figured out what is causing me the collapsing knee and pain- I believe my issue is with the Peroneal nerve. All my symptoms fit. No wonder the OS couldn’t or wouldn’t do something when I attended her, it’s not her field, I need a Neurologist to get a definitive diagnosis. My OS is only concerned with the actual knee implant not the side effects of it so in her eyes everything went perfectly even though my pain levels keep rising - hit an 8-9 yesterday :censored:!
It gives me a starting point for my GP at my appointment on Monday, of course I will be open to whatever he says, I trust him completely.
 
Good luck at your appointment. I hope you are able to get a handle on the pain! :flabber:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well got to see my GP today and he has doubled my pain relief to 10mg OxyContin slow release every 12 hours and added in Gabapentin at 300mg twice daily plus another 600mg at night, he also gave me 5 mg Oxynorm to be taken for break through pain.
He had gotten a letter from the OS saying that they were confused by my symptoms but that technically my knee replacement was successful- he asked me if I had told them my symptoms and pain levels, which I had of course and he was frustrated that they didn’t refer me to a pain specialist. He agreed that my symptoms were definitely nerve pain , most probably from the Peroneal nerve and that the Gabapentin was worth trying. If it doesn’t work I will have to be referred to a private pain specialist at an extraordinary cost- :groan:
We have a dual system of healthcare here, public which is generally free but with years long waiting lists and private which costs a fortune. There aren’t many pain specialists here and if I needed something like a nerve conduction study done I would have to travel pretty much 3/4 the way across the country to get it done.
Fingers crossed the Gabapentin does the trick!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey will do- had the best nights sleep in 9 weeks last night after starting the new medications, only woke up 2 times and the zinging from the nerve pain was definitely lower than before. The previous night was really bad with about 1 hour sleep total through the night. Just having that sleep alone was wonderful. Fingers crossed it continues to keep getting better slowly.
 
Hello and welcome… have been reading your journey thread and am glad your GP had helpful ideas! Nerve pain is the pits, as they say! Here in the states, we are able to find a magnesium gel to apply to areas with nerve pain and when I had those “zingers”, the nerve pain that ran up and down my leg, if I used the gel, even though it left my leg rather “sticky” afterwards, it did lessen the pain. Over time, that nerve pain did vanish, too! Let me know if you want the link to the gel; I just ordered it online, as it is an over the counter thing here… hoping you are happily sleeping!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just Google Ancient Minerals Magnesium Lotion and you'll find the product listed. It may be less sticky afterwards than the gel, but I used the gel. I did actually order this through Amazon, but there is a discount if ordering it directly from the company website.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And here then is the article link!
I’ll try to find my thread regarding it, too…
 
And here is a thread about magnesium’s use…
Aside from topical agents there are supplements.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from the BoneSmart Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

My preference is Magnesium Glycinate, meaning the Magnesium is bound to glycine, elevating it’s absorption level, helping our body make the most of it once ingested. In this form, it’s less likely to cause laxative effects than in other forms.

Best Wishes for a happy, healthy holiday season! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@BBCG , thank you for the links and information. I have found several products available that seem to have the same levels of Magnesium in them as the one you recommended so will compare them to get the most suitable.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a journey you are having! I just read through your thread and I think your GP is wonderful to have listened like he did and so happy to see your latest update of a better night's sleep.
Sleep helps everything.
Hopefully your new medications keep you comfortable and you won't need the costly trip to a pain specialist.

Hang in there... time heals a lot of things.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to put this out there regarding electric recliner chairs- I have found them wonderful, great for relaxing on, sleeping on when no where else will do and even for exercising on.
BUT if you live in a country where power outages can occur it can make life very interesting- twice now I have ended up trapped on a fully reclined recliner, the first time was at week 2 and husband had to actually pick me up to get me out of the chair! Not a good idea for someone with heart problems and Ankylosing Spondylitis and I felt like giant blob!:headbang: The second time was week 4 but at that stage with his assistance I was able to get out of it.
We were just this week without power for nearly 2 days due to storm Bara- I took the storm warning to heart and didn’t recline the chair in advance of it arriving. So if power outages occur with storms where you live just keep it in mind not to be on a fully reclined chair! It doesn’t help your knee at all:bignono:
 
Good tip about the electric recliner! What a challenge that must have been. Fingers crossed the weather calms down now so that you can safely rest!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok time for an update regarding the Gabapentin- it has definitely reduced the level of pain, down from 7-8 on the scale to a 6-7, not a massive reduction but at this stage any improvement is welcome. Given that it’s nerve pain it will take time for the nerve to heal anyway. The first couple of nights taking the double dose really helped with the insomnia BUT it does wear off- tonight I am wide awake since 11.30pm, it’s now 4.01am but am not awake from pain so I am ok with this.
Since starting Gabapentin I have found I am a bit woozy during the day, little like being tipsy but have found I am able to do more around the house. I did home made cream of mushroom soup yesterday and prepped veg for today, got laundry sorted and tidied up a bit. Even though I am still using my crutch it felt like progress. I am hoping the woozy feeling eventually goes as it does make you feel sleepy during the day and I am trying to stay awake so I can sleep at night. One of my fur babies took advantage of my accidental dozing on my recliner due to the drug and sneaked up on my lap for a snooze with me. I suppose he helped with my extension as he is not the lightest of pooches, knee definitely felt it afterwards. He is a sweetheart who can’t bear to be away from me at any time.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Recovery Progress Stalled
    60228826-147C-44F5-92CD-7E890F079C94.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:
I feel so normal now reading your threads and seeing that you too are awake silly hours of the night, although I'm early days ( day 5) and a long way to go, I'm not sure yet if this recovery is any easier than my first 2 years ago, as they say different knees different issues.
I hope they are able to sort you out soon. Love the pictures of your little dog.. I have a daschund whom as I write is glued to my non operated side under the duvet :puppysmooze:
 
Hopefully this time round it will be smooth sailing for you- yep still awake and its now 7.38am:mcoffee:
If my lap was big enough and I was knocked out all 4 dogs would be on my lap:)- they would also be snuggled under the duvet at the first chance. Wouldn’t be without them and I am sure you are the same with your one.
I am pretty much always on here if you ever feel the need to vent or just let off a bit of steam.
Healing wishes :sleeep:
 
Thank you. Not sure about the smooth healing, I had thought that getting myself fitter prior to my surgery would benefit my recovery but it doesn't appear so, my leg just does not want to bend, it will only bend if I use both arms underneath it of if it is placed on the floor, to top it off I think the surgeon must have hammered my shin as it too is really painful, even hurts after pain meds have kicked in which is bizarre, maybe it's neurological....and these compression stockings well. .. no polite comment on them :heehee: likewise we seem to be on the same European time if you feel like chatting or venting I'm usually wide awake haha - Have a good weekend xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom