Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Progressing ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well first doctor check post btkr...all is well...went walking in with my cane. All my doc said was to remind me it is a marathon not a sprint. Came away pretty pleased!
 
Your doctor sounds wise---it is not a sprint and it will take time to recover. I will give you the post op reading list to read while you are lying down icing your knees!!
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance .
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
So glad to hear things went well for you. That reminder about marathon not a sprint is very good advice!! I tell it to myself every day :) I wish you well as you move forward on your journey.
 
Congratulations momma carter. Sounds like you are doing very well!
 
Sounds like things are progressing nicely for you.
 
Pain is very manageable. Stiffness is the worst
Please do bear in mind that stiffness is a form of pain and therefore needs to be medicated! As are soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching and swelling.
When can I expect the swelling to diminish and in turn less stiffness?
Not any times soon! You're only two weeks out - the worst is yet to come!


I also merged your two threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
Please don't keep starting new threads about your recovery.

The reasons for this are that it
1. makes it easier for guests to read the continuous story of a member's recovery - the most important reason
2. avoids people duplicating and repeating things like links to articles
3. helps us to refresh on what you've had done and when, plus what advice was given previously
5. keeps all advice previously given on hand for the poster
6. makes it unnecessary for the member to keep repeating surgery details
7. just makes it easier for everyone all round!

Thank you very much!
 
Still having lots of stiffness...3.5 weeks out. Walking unassisted but slow, between 110 and 120 on flexion depending on time of day but any suggestions on decreasing stiffness?
 
All my doc said was to remind me it is a marathon not a sprint.
He is absolutely correct!
Still having lots of stiffness...3.5 weeks out.
I had stiffness for about five months.

You have to consider that you had two bones sawed off and your were beat up pretty good under anesthetist---tourniquets, some pounding, etc---you should expect to be stiff for some time.

You are progressing quite well, but your OS is correct---considering what surgical trauma your knees have sustained, you just need to understand how long this recovery can take an be patient.
 
but any suggestions on decreasing stiffness?
Ice, elevate, take it easy, and be patient.

The harder that you work on these knees, the more pressure you put on them to recover faster, the stiffer and slower your knees and recovery will be. Slow and steady---do not try to rush your recovery.
[Bonesmart.org] Progressing ....

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!!
 
Thanks Tim,
Unfortunately, I'm a nurse and am well aware of what goes on during surgery...that being said, I think the whole health care provider thing makes me a very impatient patient. I am an overachiever along with having a very competitive spirit. By the book, I totally understand the whole rest, ice, elevation and pain meds...which is exactly the info and type of care I provided my husband when he had one knee replaced. However, all that being said, on a personal level, of course it doesn't apply to me and I should be better tomorrow. So back to my initial question...are there any " top secret" success stories, protocols or magic potions to decrease stiffness, enhance flexion and extension in a more timely fashion? I am having a difficult time with the sprint vs marathon concept!
 
Are you still taking pain meds? They can help with the stiffness too, given that it's a kind of pain. Early on most of my pain was stiffness. Now I'm to the point where I get stiff when I don't move for a while. I just get up and walk around for a couple of minutes when I feel the stiffness starting. It helps a bit. Of course, too much activity and you get swollen and stiff too. Trial and error.

And yeah, no magic potion but time as far as I know. :chillpill::)
 
Mommacarter you are a couple of days before me, just like you I want that magic pill! Are you still using a walker? Just wanted to compare progress, my PT said I was at 100 on both knees, and a 3 on the extension, I think he called it!
 
@lu...I'm not using a walker or cane but I do walk pretty slow. I'm at about 110 and 105 on flexion and about the same on extension. At this point I am ready to be back to normal and I am not. I'm very impatient. Supposed to go back to work on the 25th and right now there is no way I can do that. Looking forward to lots of progress with PT this week. I am ready to be comfortably stable on my feet, not so guarded, and walking without a wobble. I'm not taking much pain meds because it doesn't really hurt. Taking tylenol to take the air do off for comfort. Will be off of coumadin tomorrow and am looking forward to trying some anti-inflammatories to see if it helps with swelling and inflammation. How about you on all this other stuff?
 
@mommacarter Hubby said, "take 8 oz of water mix in a 1/4 tsp sugar and a 1/4 tsp baking soda take every day for the next 6 months and you should start feeling relief." His way of saying it will take time.
 
Mommacarter, all my other issues resolved. I read all the posts and am thankful for no real pain. The allergic reaction left some serious burn like skin all the way around, it's been almost 3 weeks and just started getting lighter. I just started get some major twinges in both knee's, I am guessing it's the nerves healing, usually happens when I leave my legs straight out to long.
Your going back to work pretty quick! Would you mind my asking what do you do? I had my first outing yesterday and went by my work, I manage a Hallmark Store, I jumped right in checking deliveries, putting things away! My girls just laughed, my husband who left me alone for 30 min's , scolded me an said enough for today! But it felt so good to be back, last week I seriously thought about not ever going back! That emotional thing that grabs ya, when you don't expect it! I decided to try to drive around the block this week, and see how close I am getting.
I think I will switch to Tylenol before exercising to see if it works, Thanks for the idea! Good luck this week with your PT, I stop using the CPM machine today, Kaiser only pays for 21 days. So will be doing the stretches. I hope I don't loose ground by not using it 6-8 hrs a day!
 
@lu...Sounds like you are doing great! I used the cpm machine in the hospital and asked to bring it home but they said no....as far as work goes, I'm an rn/lactation consultant. I usually see about 10-12 patients per day, so I'm not really sure how everything is going to go with that. So best to you! Keep me posted!
 
It sounds like you're doing ok? Are you still icing and elevating? That will help with the inflammation.:ice:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom