THR Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

I don't blame you for being a Super Sad Nana Dana Banana!
Look at that sweet little sleeping yumminess.
Sure hope things are looking up today and the pesky fever exits quickly.
Wishing you a relaxing day of recovery @danabanana :friends:
 
Lots of restrictions have been lifted in the UK, but I've only recently tried sleeping on my un-operated side but was OK. Love your baby photo. Does she have a name?

So just for fun? I tried some non operative side resting. It does encourage in my booklet I was given from the hospital and gives instructions on how, as a means to prevent a sore bottom. It felt amazing.....for about 5Min's....then I felt pain creeping.....crawling up and I couldn't get it to ease no matter what I did so that was done. Back on my back. I'm gonna keep giving it a go though, because my bottom definitely needs the break from time to time. Bottom's up! Haha

Baby's name is Reiya. So very much in love all over again. Can hardly wait to cuddle her up!!!! :loveshwr:

Thank you @MammaT .... Me too!!!!!!

@Mojo333 you made me blush all over the place!!!! So sweet of you. I have been through so much in this journey that despite the post op pain and blues, it's feeling like I'm reaching the light at the end of the tunnel, finally. I was diagnosed with Chrohns Sept 2015, and it's because of Crohns Disease I had this hip replacement. Prednisone caused Avasular Necrosis. Super crazy it happened to me because I was only on the stuff 3 courses that were quite conservative. Anyhow, nothing has gone text book for me in the slightest. Tried the core decompression and it failed. So the end goal, feels in sight. Hip will be better and I can finally be on my chrohns medication consistently! Woop Woop!!!! :happydance:
 
Dana....I slept on my side last night...nurse settled me in. Bliss! NZ probably hasn't got the memo yet.

I'm canadian too but have lived on NZ for 20 years. I just spent august in North Van, vic ans SSI....love it.

Up amd about today....shower physio and now resting

Home tomorrow as long as I poop. Hahaha
 
@danabanana - love that name ! :heehee: So sorry you're having a hard time. But I love that you have kept your sense of humour. I'm so sorry your hospital didn't help you get on top of the pain. It's really not rocket science. Hopefully now you're home you can pop all the pills you want. Your stepson is a gorgeous little star and I'm very jealous you have a bear. I want. :happyfeet:Feel better soon xx
 
@beckylou I can imagine it was bliss. I think it coming for me.... Practising like @MammaT says.
Hope your poop comes. I gave birth to one today. Oy! No exaggeration! I was having child birth flashbacks. The end result was almost as wonderful as a newborn baby. Haha

Thanks @faster pussycat. I was telling my hubby about how mismanaged our post op pain care is compared to say, the UK or Au. The list of what I see hipsters here are taking and subsequently then able to get up and feel better, faster astounded me. I was sent home with a prescription for Tramacet (Tramadol w/Acetaminophen) and Dilaudid for breakthrough. Then told to immediately begin tapering, subbing one Tramacet for 500mg Tylenol and Dilaudid only if absolutely needed. Meanwhile, keep your pain managed, see you in 2 weeks. Sheesh. Hubby runs into my surgeon at work and surgeon says oh, her low BP and fever means she needs off the narcotics....post op day 8, she shouldn't need any.
I'd like to saw his femoral head off and jam a titanium stem into his femor, playing TETRIS with his leg and then see what he has to say about pain medication. hahaha
Hubby also chatted with my Anesthesiologist, and he said because Dilaudid depresses the respiratory system, it can bring a low fever and a slight lung collapse, which explains my mild shortness of breath. He said to wean slowly and take deep breaths.

Honestly....I'm just going back to my Netflix and chocolate, and take what I need to, as I need to. Oh and drink my mmmmmm gross prune juice. :egypdance:
 
Last edited:
Just a little pop in to say, had myself a weepy few hours off and on. Even the most optimistic of peeps shed a few tears. Of course, it alarms everyone.....hubby had a bad day at work and comes home to a weeping wife who can't tell him what the problem is so he can fix it-cuz hubbys like to fix their wives when they appear broken. I copied the Post Op Blues writeup from here, and texted over to him so he could then see for himself, easing his conscious that my crying has nothing to do with him. I don't blame him for doubting me at first....how often are we annoyed yet when asked we say "I'm fine". So anyhow....shed my tears into my tear towel (yes, that's what I've now called this little hand towel I have that honestly, I've never had a use for because it's truly too small to be used as a hand towel and yet too large as a cloth, so it now has a purpose-to dry my tears! BRILLIANCE! Haha) and had a sponge bath so now I'm feeling clean and rung out exhausted..... But I'm in less pain this evening so that's a plus and tomorrow is a brand new day.
Post Op Day 8 complete....Time for another choccie! :angel:
 
I love a good post op cry. Better out than in....which brings me to.....

OH MY MAUDE the nurse gave me lactulose to move things. 3 hours later it was hot sweats and race to the toilet for a poonami.

I'm going to have to mentally recover rom the trauma
 
@beckylou hahahhaa Poonami!!!!! :rotfl: That's amazing....and I'm a little jelly! Hahaha Well looks like we both got our wish, poop out....only with a bonus dash of PTSD! :heehee:
I'm so glad to have a funny hip buddy kindred spirits on this journey.....giggles and toots are my life! :spin:
 
Oh I've been meaning to share this and given my weepy mood, it's given me great laugh. My Aunt bought me a Mr Potato Head set as a surgery recovery gag gift. So, for fun I created this:
Introducing....
Mr Hip (Replacement) Potato Head
Added, a note to my family, "Don't make me take out my Angry Eyes!"
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
Morning danabanana, it was great to wake up and read you posts, especially the one regarding coming off meds and what you would like to do with his femoral head ... hahahaha ..... so with you on that one, I went 10 hours straight with meds through the night, woke a couple of times for the loo so on waking this morning I could have cried with pain, so 2 codeine and 2 paracetamol and all thoughts of cutting back firmly put in their place. When it stops hurting I will start to reduce and not before

I am starting to feel better, may have a go at a bit of ironing this pm, still taking 2 Senna tablets in the evening but not much effect day 9, well you’ve heard the saying your so full of well that’s me right now , allbran and figs for breakfast, snacking on prunes and replaced for liquorice.

I have an appointment to have a wound check and dressing change on Friday at my GP surgery and my first consultant check up on the 15th February even though my paperwork says check up in 6 weeks. Not heard anything regarding physio appointment either, don’t think much of the aftercare system here

Your granddaughter is beautiful and a real reason to get back on your feet, exciting times ahead I imagine, have a good day don’t let the weepy bits get you down, take care
 
Nice Mr. Potato Head @danabanana! I agree with you about meds here in the U.S. The backlash here from the opiod epidemic has many folks like us caught in the middle. Part of why I had first surgery is the pain was so bad and I didn't want to be on medicine (plus it didn't help then). I am getting right hip done sooner than later for same reason--if I don't have to go through that chronic pain that I know is coming, I prefer a surgery with temporary pain and fix the problem. I understand docs not wanting to administer pain meds like they used to in this country, but I think the docs who say "you shouldn't need anything after 8 days" need to have gone through the surgery before saying that!
 
Hope today is a Good Day. It is a journey and I say you are handling it all with grace and humor.
Our poor hubbys. My better half was super happy to do anything and everything to help but was stumped on the sudden tears and post-op blues.
Of course, a common cold turns him into a big old baby...maybe not blubbering...but certainly whiny and grumpy.
Hope you have a peaceful day.
 
Hi @danabanana love the idea of a Tear Towel! Makes perfect sense to me. I also printed off the Post Op Blues bit for hubby....just in case. We always know though with those tearful days that the day ain't going to improve till the tears are out. I remember reading all about this as part of surgery preparation. I even bought a book that I knew would help get tears out if it was going to be one of those days. Bridges of Madison County by RJ Waller made me person years ago. It was either that or Black Beauty which made me cry when I was 9. Touch wood haven't had to get the book out yet but time will tell. I think it was Layla who called those days 'Pity Parties' which just sound much more fun. Bless all our hubbies, they are doin great. Hope you have a better day.
 
@Croyde06 Thank you so much for popping into my thread....I'm so happy it gave you some giggles. Laughter is such good medicine! I'm reading your journey too and you're doing so well. Keep up the poop protocol...it will come!!!

So Ladies...speaking of poop and funny, I have to share this screen shot of my text with my younger son, 18, whom I had sent out for Prune Juice for me. (Just a note: "GV" stands for "Great Value which is Walmart's generic brand.)
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
@MammaT Drug epidemic is huge here...opioids and fentanyl laced everything, taking lives. So sad. But yes, we get caught in the crosshairs. Much of which why I also decided on the THR sooner than later. I didn't appreciate being looked upon as a pill popper every few months at the pharmacy for my AVN hip pain....which though it was prescribed to be taken 4 times a day, I did not. I only took at night and daytime if absolutely needed, consequently I unnecessarily suffered more. Craziness! So many times I would have liked to have said "Trade ya!" oh well. I'd just remind myself that opinions are like.....oh wait, I can't say that on here, um, I'm sure you know the saying. :snork:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom