Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

Glad they got that worked out. Bet you'll feel better very soon.
Log leg is extra aggravating...all so early days for you. Sending healing hugs. All temporary!
 
I had a spinal but I still got sick day after surgery. They had taken me to pt but I couldn’t stay because of sickness. Rested for a bit and after a light lunch, I made it to pt ok and by 5pm I was on my way home. I, too, had the log leg for a few days. It’s tough to move that leg even with a strap. I had my husband help me some for the first couple days until I got the knack of doing it on my own. It did take a few days for it to be gone. Luckily for me I had read about log leg on BS ahead of time do I didn’t panic.

It sounds like you are doing well and on the right path. You just have to be patient, rest, ice and elevate! Each day is a tiny bit better than the one before so by the end of a week you can look back and see how far you have come. Sending positive healing wishes your way.
 
Aww, so sorry @danabanana
You're having a bit of a rough start but it will get better.
Nausea and lightheadedness are awful sensations. Hopefully it all levels out soon.
Your sense of humor is not only entertaining but it will get you through any ups and downs
of early recovery.
Prayers that today is peaceful, bringing you some well deserved relief.
 
Love your humour @danabanana and hope you are feeling better today. The first few days are the worst and gradually it gets better and better. @weezie who had surgery the same day as me (7 weeks ago) is also from BC, she's on Vancouver Island, so perhaps she will drop in to say hi.
 
@EmEm thank you! It would be great to hear from @weezie. I'm in the Okanagan so a little ways from the Island, but I'd be interested to hear their experience.

I had a few spells of tears this morning. Lovely snotty nose and heaving chest as my surgeon explained all is well, despite my not feeling all is well. He said Log Leg and I will get it together and my hemoglobin although low and not helping me any, isn't low enough he feels a transfusion is worth the potential risks. He feels confident my body will do the job, but labs are going to be done to check on it. So.....in the meantime, another night in hospital land and some time for me to wine and dine Log Leg. Perhaps some candle light and soft music will help. Haha
I managed my exercises this morning and a short shuffle. I had to pull over at one point to let some 80yr old pass me. Showoff! Been icing, elevating, and dozing since. After lunch I'll attempt another short shuffle.
I so appreciate all of you supporting me along. Means so much. ❤
 
Oh dear @danabanana I hope your tears made you feel better. My most miserable time was when I was first at home and the painkillers made me feel really unwell. My OH was trying to be encouraging but I couldn’t stay awake and just wanted to be left alone. A change of meds and I felt much better.

Keep your sense of humour and you will cope with all the ups and downs of this journey although turbo charged grannies showing off might test anyone’s patience. I hope you and Log Leg have a comfortable night!
 
Turbo charged grannies! That's what I wanna be. Haven't got kids so that might be difficult. It's great how we can still find the humour in all our ups and downs.
 
Ah, @danabanana, you seem to be going through exactly the same things I went through. Op day okay, two days after that really rough (pain meds not working, low blood pressure, nausea, fainting, log leg...), but then it slowly started getting better.
I didn’t get to shuffle around the hallway in a walker until day 3, and walking stick(s) till day 5 (discharge day). Had an 84 year old with surgery same day as me walking on a walker at breakneck speed when I was still struggling to stand. It will get better!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@danabanana So sorry you can’t go home! My surgeon also made me stay in the hospital for two extra days because of low blood pressure - all I wanted to do is go home and be comfy on my couch. The day after surgery (the day I was supposed to go home) the OT was helping me put on my going home clothes when I got dizzy, had horrible diarrhea and vomiting at the same time. I looked up from my vomit bag and said to the OT, “I can still go home, right?” Nope!

Hang in there, you’ll be beating those 80 year olds in no time!
 
Sorry to hear of recent troubles @danabanana. While the hospital doesn't give you and log leg any privacy, still better that they are monitoring you closely. It doesn't do any good to get home too quickly and have to go back in. You'll be home soon and log leg will behave.
 
I feel for you :( This will be over quite quickly though and you’ll be home. I was the same. They talked of a transfusion but decided against it. I hope you’re feeling much better very soon!
 
Hi my hip loving friends! Was a better day today. I'm still coping with the nausea, but it's intermittent now....the sleepiness is just, well, standard- although I kind feel closely related to a Narcoleptic because it's astonishing how one second Im talking and the next I'm like "Sorry, system shut down in 5, 4, 3 and _____________"
I managed a few more shuffles about, bundles of 45 min naps, loads of mini leaky eye sessions, a visit from my GI Specialist regarding my Crohns, facetime with the fam, a q&a session with a crotchety LPN, followed by kisses from the hubby and a surprise bedside candlelit dinner of sushi with one of my best friends. Pain got ahead of me by 7pm when said crotchety LPN neglected to give me my 6pm pain pill so when my evening nurse started she worked quickly to get us back on track. Took until almost 11 however, to feel my pain was back under some control. I'll definitely be setting my phone alarm to keep me on schedule because wowsers, chasing pain is not the fun side of this journey to be on-id much rather be chasing hunky firemen....although, chasing now has a more stationary meaning for me. I'd need to lure them to me now cuz Log Leg is a drag! Hahaha
Anyhow, just got my ice freshened, pain pill down the hatch, got confirmation my Hemoglobin has come up to 93 (Hip Hip Hooray! Haha). Blood pressure is still being a party pooper but I'm sure it'll come back up over the next few days too. So back to dream land for me and if all looks good, I should he going home before lunchtime.... for an immediate nap cuz let's be real, every littlest task takes 100x the energy right now and I still haven't relocated my Superwoman Cape.
 
so good to hear @danabanana that things are improving. Sounds like you had a busy day but at least with some nice bits. I'm about a week ahead of you, so when I catch that bunch of hunky firemen I'll save one for you. Perhaps lol! Oh the joy of getting home, it's so good, I think I had a nap as soon as I got home too so hope you enjoys yours. I bet your hubby is having your Superwoman Cape dry-cleaned and ironed ready for you. Bless him. Take care and take things EASY at home.
 
:hi:
Yay! @danabanana
Things are looking up! I will have to say I do enjoy your posts, great comic relief :loll:
Its nice to hear the yucky nausea is waning. Great news on the hemoglobin too.
Isn't it sad when you have to set your phone alarm in a HOSPITAL to get your meds on time in an effort to stay ahead of the pain. If it wasn't so serious...I'd laugh!
The surprise bedside, candlelit sushi dinner with a friend is one of the sweetest things I ever did hear. Lucky you with such a thoughtful friend.
Hopefully you are discharged today and get some quality rest and relaxation at home.
Sending a hug and a pretty flower :flwrysmile: Hey, it's the best we have......we need some roses in this shop!
 
Just settling in at home so I'll update more later. I'm a bit of a celebrity you see, so had to be somewhat of a ninja to get out of the Hospital and into my house undetected. But word spread fast....my batskills are a little rusty. Or maybe it was because I posted my departure on Facebook...hmmm lol
So anyhow, I'm in loads of pain and trying to find perfect placement of pillows that is going to help. In the meantime I have the most perfect nursing assistant ever. My stepson. He's only 8, but he showed up with this cozy polar bear saying since he has had a polar bear stuffy that he's slept with since he was born and how it helps him feel better, he just knew I needed one too. I told him, that is outstandingly perfect logic, because I do now feel heaps better.
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
Aww....so cute! What a precious little sweetheart he is.
Hopefully you get some quality rest tonight in your own home.
Sweet Dreams :yawn: :sleep:

@danabanana
 
@Layla oh gosh he is! He's gone out to eat something grama cooked and stopped at the doorway, turned back to say "So listen, Im gonna go eat but if you need anything...I mean ANYTHING, call me." the his face grows serious..."I mean it!"

So while I have a minute...thanks again ladies for being here for me. It means so much. I'm truly touched my blatherings are being read at all let alone enjoyed! My kids do say I'm funny, but I don't quite trust their opinion of that because it's quite likely they like to stroke my ego so I'll continue to feed them. Haha
So this morning....
Saw my surgeon for discharge. I mentioned how my surgical leg (I didn't us my normal term of endearment "Log Leg" because I wanted to appear more sain than I am as he's a super hot surgeon) feels way longer. Well....as it turns out, it wasn't my imagination, because it actually is...by a centimetre! And that's why I was in the or so much longer....my pelvis had a slight twist so he fought with different pieces to make the best fit with the best outcome. He said it felt like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. At the end of it, length discrepancy was unavoidable.
I teased him saying how I always did want to be a bit taller.....so thanks! Then we joked about if we need to do the right hip down the road he can then add the length to that one to match! LOVE THIS MAN!!!
Last thing before I got the boot...i had to climb the stairs. Never has 3 stairs looked more like Mt Everest.....but I nailed them minus the need to then sit down cuz I got light headed, broke into a sweat, got nauseous, then started to cry! (My eyes just spontaneously leak these days...should probably see the plumber-a good one in a four piece suit though, not the "say no to crack" type!) Anyhow, I survived....Got back to bed to a fresh ice pack and then as a reward for my winning climb, I got a suppository up my Bum to get the poops out. Haha
 
Glad you are home and feeling better. Hopefully the worst is behind you and you will feel a bit better each day!
 
Back
Top Bottom