THR Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

The first days ARE tough but you sound positive and appear to have some great, and adorable...support.
Take it slow. It will all get better.
 
Oh @danabanana -I so remember those three stairs! And they did look like a mountain. A few weeks ago my sister-in-law had a surgery at surgery center where I had been so I got to roam the floor where I had stayed. Of course, when I was there I only saw a small part of the corridor but I saw the stairs that had been so intimidating and I thought "that's all they were?!" Now that I am very familiar with the whole floor after helping my sister-in-law walk the whole thing, I am hopeful that next trip it won't seem quite as intimidating! Let your step son spoil you-it is good for kids to learn care taking -it will make him a better man! Hope today brings good healing. Don't worry about eye leaks-medically proven that tears have a therapeutic value!
 
Hi, hope you are keeping your spirits up, I had a TRHR on 21st, had a left one 20 years ago that’s still going strong, fingers crossed. Came home Thursday early evening so today is day 5, I find the nights long and had a couple of meltdowns after my trips to the loo, seems to be taking 30 minutes or so which in the dark when your exhausted seems to be forever. Cool light of day and it’s better, had a shower, washed my hair and changed my teds so felt brighter. Tip the radiologist showed me regarding log leg is to slide your good foot under the bad and use it to slowly lever the bad around, helps with shuffling to edge of bed and getting it back in get as much rest as you can. Hubby and I have had some laughs today as he follows me up the stairs as I have no banisters, he says he’s never seen a bum cheek/thigh so big in his life, just a good job I brought a couple of pairs of next size up jogging bottoms.
 
@Croyde06 Thank you! Congrats on your new hip too!!! My night was rough. I struggled to get my leg elevated in a way that was comfortable and of course yes, the bathroom duty is a rough one. The raised seat I'm using from Red Cross is not comfortable in the slightest. Makes it hard to relax. Plus....I started my menstrual cycle. Lucky me. Pretty sure I'd have preferred a dirt nap yesterday over what I had to endure. However, I made it and I'm still laughing.
My swelling is so crazy....hubby quite likes my rainbow coloured Badonka Donk. I'm also glad I bought two pair of lounging pants prior to surgery, a size larger. So between those and my hubby's boxer shorts, I'm taking Sexy back! Haha

Hope you all are having a good Saturday. Log Leg and I are still not talking. It's still feeling like its not my leg. I know given time this will change but for right now, we just aren't friends. Also, I'm so over feeling dizzy and nauseated. I feel like I could be doing better if I didn't feel like I went on a tequila bender!

I have two sons who are 18 & 21 still live at home. They are a great help. My stepson is with us 3.5days a week. So between hubby and the two boys, the house isn't completely falling apart though I can tell nerves are starting to fray regarding the menial tasks like dishes and laundry. I just turn the volume up on my TV. Hahahaha
Right now there's rustling about in the kitchen along with grumbles and the sound something frying....God knows what they are conjuring up. I'm thinking it's nap time for me. Pray I don't wake up to the fire alarm blaring......although, hmmmm, that would result in the hunky fire fighters paying me a visit. :egypdance:
 
Again....thanks for the laughs @danabanana
Had many throughout your post but the ending especially because I can so relate.
My hubby was great at preparing meals but he hates cleaning up. The kitchen island was always packed
with junk. Empty food containers, dirty untensils and pans on the cooktop, my meds and the schedule he kept, gauze and tape for my incision etc. It was like Command Central for him. I'd cringe each time I caught a glance of it on my bathroom breaks. Routinely 1/2 the cabinet doors were left open and there were always dishes piled next to the sink. Our dark wood floor shows every crumb, and there were MANY. He didn't know where anything was. Constantly asking where's this, where's that? With the back of my recovery recliner facing the kitchen I could only listen, smell and imagine what was going on in there. When he'd ask me where things were my drug induced fog brain hated trying to explain. He'd also nab any poor soul who came through our door to visit and con them into washing dishes. He was great support. I couldn't have done it without him. But I am once again loving my clean organized kitchen...with all the cabinet doors closed.
Hope the dizziness and nausea soon passes and you're able to get some quality sleep.
Hang in there, it all gets better!
 
Hi Dana! I'm following your thread with great interest. Im under the knife tomorrow.

You sound like you are doing well!

I've got my ex coming to stay to look after my kids (11&8).
 
Hi Dana! I'm following your thread with great interest. Im under the knife tomorrow.

You sound like you are doing well!

I've got my ex coming to stay to look after my kids (11&8).

I have to say, its definitely had its moments where I've thought "WHAT DID I AGREE TO?!" haha but it is getting better. The worst is getting a hold on the pain. My nurses overall were good but some just didn't like the fact that I knew what I needed. I knew what I was allowed. I knew I could request Zofran for nausea over say, Gravol. I prefer Zofran because it doesn't make you drowsy and I feel.it works better. I also knew I could request breakthrough pain relief if after an hour my long acting pain relief wasn't cutting it. Going to the hospital I was very prepared. I absolutely got all the equipment they had suggested whether I thought I'd need them or not. The long grabber thing was one of those items I was all like "pfffft, I won't really use that but, okay". So first night in hospital, and my phone charger cord drops out of my bed and onto the floor. Oh wait, I have that grabber thingy. Win!!! So now it's my new BFF. Hahahaha
Anyhow, I'll send some good vibes and juju your way. That's awesome your ex is helping. I definitely see now why it's suggested we have some serious help for the first while. I missed my nurses (even the crotchety one) at 4am today when I really needed a new ice pack.
 
He didn't know where anything was. Constantly asking where's this, where's that?

Omgosh yes...this! All. The. Time. X3...and none like to prepare meals Lol oh well, haha

And thank you. I'm hoping this all settles down sooner than later. It's super frustrating. I could be worse though so for that I'm grateful.

So the guys needed to go drop of stepson to his mom's house for her time. I'm listening to chaos mount as stuff needs to go in bags and where's your hat and gloves, why isn't your school stuff in your school bag, and for crying out loud no you can't take the cat! Lmao he's never asked to do that but today, and driving Daddy and brothers into an asylum seemed his mission! Too funny!!!
Was like a cyclone.....all the chaos whipping around and then out the door it all went.
And now......peace.
They are gonna grab takeout for dinner. Haha
 
Take the cat? Lol!

Hahaha right!? I laughed so hard!!!! Crazy kid!!! He seriously cracks me up!!! He actually wagged his finger at me when he left saying "Make sure you rest lots, Dana". Hahaha

So I have to share something that is part of what is helping me stay positive and cope through this whole process. I became a Nana on Nov 16. My daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. She was overdue and I was so worried babe wouldn't arrive before my surgery but she did so I got enjoy gobs of Nana snuggles for a couple days. She's perfect and I'm over the moon in love with her. It was a rough delivery so she wasn't able to drive last week, but she said she's feeling better and is going to come this week. She lives about 20Min's from me. Her hubby is back to work so she will come hang out at my place for a few hours a couple days a week. I can hardly wait. So today I told her how my eyes were feeling leaky so I needed a Mama/Baby selfie, STAT. So I must share it with you all, as it's so adorable.
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
Oh your Stepson sounds just wonderful, bless him, and your daughter and granddaughter photo absolutely adorable. You'll be out pushing the pram before you know it. Love your humour, it helps in so many ways with what we are going thru. Take care.
 
Thanks ladies. I'm pretty smitten with being a granny! ❤

So, my night was a bit better. I'm still coping with my BP being low and hitting the toilet when I'm up on my feet. Super frustrating. I had a shower! Omgosh was it ever amazing. I was so shy though, hairy, swollen, bloated mess.....hubby didn't care. He said I look beautiful. Whata guy! Probably stocking up on good hubby points for down the road but I'll take it! Haha I did very well through the entire process until it came to putting on my new dressing. I had been standing for a few minutes and felt the heat hit, the nausea mount, and I said "Baby, you have about 30 seconds to get me on the bed before I pass out". He was lightening. That was close though. Oh man. Took me a good half hour to recoup but it was so worth feeling clean and refreshed.
I'm managing my pain well now....lots of ice and taking my meds on time. Drinking loads to help my BP because that's my serious source of frustration-which I know, I keep complaining about, but it truly stinks. I know I could be up.and about in small amounts if it weren't for my BP trying to take me out. My nurse sister said to add some salt to my food and drink Gatorade if I can't make the homemade version right now. So I am. Because contrary to what my hubby says, I do listen. Haha
I have my compression socks on to help keep any pesky blood clots at bay. Took this pic to send to my Mom and noticed how obvious my leg length difference is!!!! I'm okay having to get an insert but this is gonna make wearing my beloved flip flops 60% of the year a problem! My Surgeon said there was just no way around it....he tried multiple ways to minimizing the length difference. It was supposed to be a routine hip replacement but, turned into highest difficulty human Lego! Wait, am I repeating myself? I feel like I'm repeating myself. So sorry if I am. Say no to drugs, kids! LoL

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
That blood pressure is really giving you a hard time :blackcloud: Glad hubby was quick! It’s a great feeling to be nice and clean. I found the shower really took it out of me. I was very shaky afterwards.
 
@Gretel It is!!! I have a home BP monitor so I've been keeping tabs since my discharge. I was 99/48.... I've been as high as 110/50 but generally it's between low 90's over high 40's. It's quite annoying....as I keep whining about....because I'm channeling my inner 3yr old. :wink:
 
Love the pic of your daughter and granddaughter @danabanana
I can smell that yummy little baby head when I look at it.
Oh, and that velvety skin. Makes me want another grand baby. Lucky you!

Please be careful on bathroom breaks in the middle of the night until your BP has stabilized.
Last thing you want to do is collapse into a heap on the floor. Not good, or a pretty sight for any hunky paramedics that may show up. I know you have a thing for those guys who rescue damsels in distress.

First shower: heavenly but draining. I think it's a combo of low energy, weakness, fear.
I know there was anxiety involved for my first couple showers. I took the walker right into the shower
to feel more secure. I felt a bit shaky and wobbly. Did it 2 or 3 times then gave it up and I was fine.
Those first few showers were quickies. Not even sure I rinsed all the conditioner out of my hair.


You sound well, keep up the good work.
Wishing you a great week as you continue to recover!
 
@Layla thanks so much. I'm trying my best. My bathroom is just a couple steps from my bed so I'm managing it pretty good, so no hunky paramedics should need to come here. Funny thing, both my hubby and I are healthcare workers at our local Hospital so we know most of the paramedics, none of which are hunky, but more importantly non of which I'd ever like to see me pants down collapsed on the bathroom floor. Hahaha So yes, I'll be careful. I admit it's hard though, so thank you. ❤

So in other news.....I discovered my handy grabber thingy is amazing. I dropped a spoon off my bedside table. I cursed, as usual when I drop something out of reach these days, wondering how my grabby thingy was going to manage picking up a spoon. So I lower it down and MAGIC happened!!!!! LOL

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
Last edited:
Grabbers are awesome. I still use mine--great for getting things off top shelves, picking up something that fell into a tight spot. I think we need to be careful not to let the rest of the world know how awesome they are--we have earned them!
 
Hahaha I honestly had no clue. My only issue now is what do I do if my grabby thingy falls out of reach?! I'd need a grabby thingy to grab my grabby thingy! :chinstroke:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom