Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bassplayer, very good idea working from home. I do it. I've been doing just that and I think it helps keep me sane. I couldn't do a full day in work yet.
 
You're just feeling normal, that's all. You know there is a reason we tell folks not to plan on going back to work until 12 weeks out from surgery. Your body simply isn't ready for all the activity of "normal" life. We just don't realize all the standing, moving, reaching, bending, getting up and down, etc. that constitutes a normal day.

So don't beat yourself up. Stay home and be thankful that you feel good enough to do some work from there AND that you have a job that makes it possible. It's only temporary. Rest and nap when you can because that helps your body recovery faster....certainly MUCH faster than trying to push yourself to accomplish those "normal" days.

Jamie, I know in my heart that you are right. I had thought that I have what's considered a sedentary job, but taking an honest look and having tried it out, it's just too much for me at this time. You're right, I'm lucky that I am able to work from home and also I can rest more when I'm at home. Good that I tried, at least, and that I got my car back. Thanks very much for your kind words!
 
Lots of time to work when you feel all better--now its time to do what you need for YOU !
 
Hello!
I'm back at the office again, after having rested for a whole week at home and I am feeling so much better this time. I am still feeling tired when I get home but it is not as bad as two weeks ago. And I am planning for resting just as soon as I get home, which is working better for me.

I'm trying to stay positive about my ROM, but feeling kind of discouraged actually. It's now "somewhere between 90 and 100 degrees." I tend to be stiff in the morning but better as the day goes on. My PT thinks I won't be able to ever go beyond 110 and even that is a huge maybe from her standpoint. This thought is dragging me down...it seems like I've read about people on this forum who have increased their ROM months after the operation. Is it possible for someone to "know" how much ROM you are able to achieve?
 
Hi Bassplayer, Don't get down hearted about your ROM, as many folks say it can take months for it to come. Also, how can your PT predict your final ROM at this early stage??? I saw my surgeon last week and even he said it can take one year to reach your final number. I know it's easy to compare when reading other posts but remember we are all different and all have had different issues before the surgery. You are doing just great!
 
Hi Bassplayer, it gets me down too. Not just the ROM, mine now at 106 and not improved over this past week. Its easy to say we shouldn't get concerned, shouldn't compare to others BUT its much harder to put this into practice. Keep in touch.
 

I'm trying to stay positive about my ROM, but feeling kind of discouraged actually. It's now "somewhere between 90 and 100 degrees."... My PT thinks I won't be able to ever go beyond 110 and even that is a huge maybe from her standpoint.
Why? What's to stop you?

Josephine tells us that adhesions are quite rare; if you haven't got them then it's either (a) swelling in the knee, which will go or (b) ligaments and tendons being short, which can be fixed.

How much ROM stretching are you doing every day?
 
Whatever the reason and whatever the final number the real question is - will you be better off than you were before in a year after the surgery ? If you have less pain isn't that really what you want ? I've never really understood what level of ROM you need for 'normal' function..anyone ?

Stay positive..lots of recovery still ahead- especially once you get the other knee done.:friends:
 
Shalom Bassplayer,

Just wanted to say hi and Mazal Tov. I saw the Israel thread and read your posts. Bring's back some old memories. I lived in Zahala and Kfar Shmaryahu back in the sixties. Your gonna do just fine.:friends: The real test is going to be patience. Time will do the healing. With all your concentration unavoidably dwelling on every minute of your recovery.....your gonna imagine all kinds of issues. :rolleyespink: That feeling will pass and you will slowly begin doing normal routines and pay less and less attention to the TKR. Just remember to ice and elevate and take your pain meds if you need them. Absolutely no reason to be in pain. And take it slow and easy. Good luck :thumb:. Bill
 
Is it possible for someone to "know" how much ROM you are able to achieve?
Of course it's not! And it ticks me off greatly that these so-called professionals try to inflate their status by making such ridiculous predictions. It also beats me why they would want to put a hex on their patients by making them think all is lost! At a guess your PT is one of those who subscribe to the "window of opportunity" nonsense! ROM can increase for a year or even more.

You are, by my calculations, a mere 11 weeks post-op, still in the very very early stages of recovery. Don't let her doom laden prophecy affect you - you will be flexing all you hope for within a few more months. Or maybe even weeks.
 
Thanks all for your encouragement and kind words! More later - just happened to wake up - it's 5:30 am and I'm going to try to get some more sleep.
 
I know it's easy to compare when reading other posts but remember we are all different and all have had different issues before the surgery. You are doing just great!

Thanks - I kind of know this but needed to hear it...
:friends:
 
Hi Bassplayer, it gets me down too. Not just the ROM, mine now at 106 and not improved over this past week. Its easy to say we shouldn't get concerned, shouldn't compare to others BUT its much harder to put this into practice. Keep in touch.

Yep. One of those "easier said than done" things for sure. Thanks for the support! :friends:

Why? What's to stop you?

Josephine tells us that adhesions are quite rare; if you haven't got them then it's either (a) swelling in the knee, which will go or (b) ligaments and tendons being short, which can be fixed.

How much ROM stretching are you doing every day?

I don't seem to have swelling in the knee any more for quite a while. But I might not be doing enough ROM stretching. I kind of do it throughout the day, gently, when it occurs to me.

Stay positive..lots of recovery still ahead- especially once you get the other knee done.

Yes, good to look ahead! :friends:

Shalom Bassplayer,
Just wanted to say hi and Mazal Tov...you will slowly begin doing normal routines and pay less and less attention to the TKR...And take it slow and easy. Good luck . Bill

Shalom Bill! I often forget that this thing is S-L-O-W! You're right...
 
You are, by my calculations, a mere 11 weeks post-op, still in the very very early stages of recovery. Don't let her doom laden prophecy affect you - you will be flexing all you hope for within a few more months. Or maybe even weeks.

Thanks Josephine (or do you prefer Jo?)...You're right - I'm 11 weeks after. These PTs etc should be more careful what they say. She probably meant well but words do affect me and my very fragile mood!

I should focus on what my OS said, that I'm doing fine with the ROM and it will get better over the coming year. Thanks SO MUCH for your encouragement! I will remember what you said ("you will be flexing all you hope for within a few more months. Or maybe even weeks") when I am feeling down.
 
It will be a year to a year and half before you are completely healed from your assault so please take that into account. It does get a little better with each passing day even when it seems you aren't making noticeable progress. I still have days when I am unusually tired and I'm counting down the days until August.
 
Just wondering - do you have access to a swimming pool or hot tub ? I find that doing heel slides and other ROM exercises in warm water is very helpful -and feels good...:bathtub:

I hear the weather is warming up there so that should help, too.
 
Hello...just thought I'd drop by and give you guys an update. :)

I'm almost 4 months out from my LTKR, and now I have a pre-op day coming up on May 24th for an RTKR, and will hopefully get a date of 1-2 weeks after that. (I think I'll start a thread over in the pre-surgery forum.)

Meanwhile, I've been back at work and managing with my new schedule, although it was hard at first being out in the world. At first I was doing half-days, and have built up to 3/4 days. :yes 4:

My PT sessions ended, which I initiated - it became too difficult to even get there because of my unoperated knee and I felt it wasn't worth the strain of walking the two and a half blocks over to the clinic (and this gives you an idea of how bad my unoperated knee is). I walk with a cane these days, and that is to support my unoperated knee, which is not doing very well, to put it mildly. I so want to get out there and walk, stroll and hike, but am limited still. If I walk or stand too much, the unoperated knee complains - it's pretty much a "bone on bone" situation. And oddly enough, also the quads on that leg can get pretty ache-y. But that leg is now shorter since the LTKR, so that could possibly explain it.
 
Good to hear from you. How is the LTKR now?
 
Good to hear from you. How is the LTKR now?

Better and better every day, but of course still a long way to go. I feel like my ROM is slowly getting better but I don't go to PT now so I don't know exactly what it is. My left leg is now the stronger one and I rely on it for going up and down stairs for example. I have occasional twinges of pain in my adductors of that leg, but less and less as time goes on.
 
Hi bassplayer. Nice to her from you and to see the TKR is doing well AND that you're ready for the next op. Hope that everything goes well. As long as you are able to do things like sitting, going up/down stairs, the ROM number isn't important. Do continue with the gentle stretches and flexion to keep that knee strong because it's already the "good" knee and needs to remain that way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom