Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if it hurts behind the knee(s) after the bike? I get this almost every time...
 
Hi, I ride a stationery bike, on the very lowest tension setting and the seat at its very highest. I do between 10 and 15 minutes, depending on how I feel. The biggest thing to being able to do the bike is that I have done my stretching exercises before getting on the bike. If I don't, then riding is really really tough.
 
I've been staying off my feet this weekend. Not fun, but knees are feeling much better.

And I seem to have developed a backache midway down the right side. I think it's because I started sitting on the sofa the last few days, and when I get up I support myself with my right arm. Luckily I have my PT coming tomorrow so hopefully she can help me find a better way of getting up. And give me a back massage I hope!

I have a question about CVS brand "arthritis pain relief" acetaminophen time-release tablets. Each pill is 650 mg. and the recommended dose is 2 tablets every 8 hours. I feel it's not quite strong enough, but almost, and I tolerate it well. Does anyone have experience with this? Can I take 3, or would that be too much? One is cautioned not to split or break them.
 
Acetaminophen maximum dosage per 24hrs is 4,000mg. Is that all you are taking? Hardly seems enough in my opinion. And why expended release? Surely the regular paracetamol (also known as acetaminophen) 500mg x 2 4-6 hourly would be as good and not allow breakthrough as much.

Also, if you can't get something stronger like Tramadol or codeine as well, did you know you can take 400-800mgs ibuprofen 3 times a day as well as the acetaminophen? It's a really, really good and effective cocktail.
 
What if it hurts behind the knee(s) after the bike? I get this almost every time...

I wouls say that's probably because that's where you are getting swelling (fluid buildup). The knee compartment is very compact. When even a small amount of swelling occurs, it usually has to go somewhere.
 
HI Bassplayer, I don't see you here online tonight so I hope that means that you are able to sleep tonight. Yes, finding the balance between activity and doing too much is a very fine line. Many times we find that line the hard way. I am the kind of person that feels like if I am not doing something then I am lazy. What we have to get into our minds is that we are indeed doing something when we rest...We are allowing our bodies to heal. I hope that you have a good rest of the weekend. Rest well! :friends:
 
Acetaminophen maximum dosage per 24hrs is 4,000mg. Is that all you are taking? Hardly seems enough in my opinion. And why expended release? Surely the regular paracetamol (also known as acetaminophen) 500mg x 2 4-6 hourly would be as good and not allow breakthrough as much.

Also, if you can't get something stronger like Tramadol or codeine as well, did you know you can take 400-800mgs ibuprofen 3 times a day as well as the acetaminophen? It's a really, really good and effective cocktail.

Hi Josephine,

These days I hardly take anything. I'm simply not in pain most of the time! :snork:

Just sometimes - usually right before I go to bed - my outer thigh bothers me, or my unoperated right knee hurts, so I then like to take what was recommended by my doctor: 3cc liquid Optalgin + 500 mg paracetamol and that works very well, and quickly. The reason I asked about the CVS time-release tablets is that I have a big supply; I used to take them before the TKR a few times a week. I had gotten them OTC when I was in the US. As I said they are almost strong enough but not quite, so I guess I'll keep using the Optalgin/paracetamol combo, and they are both OTC here in Israel. Or I'll try the plain acetaminophen as you recommend.

And yes, I'm well aware of the ibuprofen/acetaminophen cocktail - I've been reading a lot of the threads....I just hadn't felt I needed it at this point.
 
HI Bassplayer, I don't see you here online tonight so I hope that means that you are able to sleep tonight.

I had a very good sleep last night (i.e., slept about 7 hours straight :biggrin:)!! And the best part is that my backache seems to be gone!

I am the kind of person that feels like if I am not doing something then I am lazy.

Er....I don't have that problem! :th_heehee:

Have a lovely Sunday!! :friends:
 
These days I hardly take anything. I'm simply not in pain most of the time! :snork:
Just sometimes - usually right before I go to bed - my outer thigh bothers me, or my unoperated right knee hurts
:scratch: Don't those two statements contradict one another?

Okay, I'm being a pedant! You don't have post op pain any more - but clearly you are having some pain!
 
:scratch: Don't those two statements contradict one another?

Quotes:
1. These days I hardly take anything. I'm simply not in pain most of the time!

2. Just sometimes - usually right before I go to bed - my outer thigh bothers me, or my unoperated right knee hurts

I'm simply not in pain most of the time = Just sometimes...my outer thigh bothers me

Maybe it's my American English, but to me these statements are not contradictory.:what:

My apologies.
 
Jo:
I think it is just what we WANT it to be, modified by what it actually IS!!!
Bassplayer,

I have been following your posts for a while. the fact that you are in Israel drew me in.
The medical care there is supposed to be excellent. It is a beautiful country.
You sound like you live alone.
I am very impressed that you have managed so extremely well by yourself! I don't know how I could have survived for the last 2 years without the support of my family, but your recovery sounds much smoother than mine.
Please understand that any pain is pain.
You must take care to cover your pain, and don't fool yourself. Don't uudermedicate. Been there, done that!!
Best of luck to you
I'll continue to follow your recovery. Just interested in how you ended up and stayed in Israel!!!
Sandy
 
Hi Bassplayer - Just wondering how you're doing ???
 
Hey Randi,

Good to hear from you! :biggrin:

I am now 8 weeks out, and had my first follow-up today with my orthopedic surgeon at the hospital. He was very pleased with my progress! I now have 100-degrees of flexion and he said that's great and that it will continue to improve for at least a year. I love his optimistic attitude! Also, my extension is 0 degrees and he was delighted with that.

And I no longer need the walker! He said from his standpoint I don't even need a cane because I am walking in a very stable manner. I wonder how far I can walk with no assistance at all? I'll have to check this carefully and slowly.

Lastly, he said if I want to have the next TKR in May or June that's fine with him. :yay:

How are you doing?
 
That all sounds great. Good for you ! I gave up the cane at about 5 weeks when my physio asked me why I was carrying it more than using it ! It was hard to feel confident at first and I kept going back to it when I felt a bit tipsy or tired. I brought it with me on the plane ride down here but haven't used it since...I must admit I do look for excuses to lean - like when there is a cart in a shopping mart, but eventually you realize that you really don't need it. As far as how far, the old adage, a little at a time -and let your knee tell you -we really don't have a choice about that. Keep up the good work !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom