Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh* - having a bit of a setback...

Everything was going great until this weekend. We are having a very cold and stormy weekend and I have been having kind of a setback painwise. Both knees are bothering me and even one hip as well. And I am very stiff, even just walking around the house. I have not gone out because of heavy rains and high winds, and anyway I can't even imagine doing much walking right now.

Had my PT session just now and feeling less stiff but still having pain, so just took Optalgin + paracetamol and waiting for it to kick in.

I'm assuming all this is because of the weather...anyone else bothered by it?
 
Gosh, bassplayer, sorry that things are not going as well as they were. :sigh: And yes, I think cold, wet weather defintely affects our knees--surely makes them stiffer.

We're about to get some heavy rain with strong winds that will turn to snow here is North Carolina:hate-shocked: ---where it doesn't snow that often. I'm already feeling much stiffer this morning than usual.

However, some of what you're experiencing is just the nature of the beast called knee replacement. You're only a couple of months out----and there are lots of ups and downs in the beginning of this recovery. :hissyfit:

With most surgeries, you would be almost completely back to normal by now. And we are so accustomed to recovering pretty quickly from things that it makes it doubly hard for us to cope with this recovery. :cry:

Lots and lots of patience and making a note of every little gain or improvement is essential. And trying to keep a positive attitude----I am getting there, I will get there, I am getting better and better each day! :yay: Some days its tougher than others.

When I start to get down in the mouth, I think about the Bone Smarties who have really had and are having difficult recoveries and thank my lucky stars for my own. It helps me keep perspective. This is a loooong recovery, and we just have to hang in there. And you will get there!:yes 4:

Please keep us posted. We care. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy
 
Hi Bassplayer - have to agree with Judy--it's probably partly the weather, I know that really gets to me , but I'm about a week ahead of you and still dealing with the ups and downs. The past few days have been amazing - and I'm in sunny warm Florida - but I'm on alert - very aware that there will still be stiff and scary days ahead. As they say - one step at a time :th_heehee:...hang in !
 
Thanks Judy and Randi,

I think you're both right - there can always be setbacks. I'm still in the relatively early stages I guess, so this is to be expected. I'll just medicate and rest until this passes. :sigh:

I had wanted to go back to the office this week and hope I'll still be feeling up to it.
 
Hi Bassplayer

I'm sorry your knees are not behaving as they should. I really think that wet and damp weather does set off a bad feeling with our joints. I haven't really put my operated knee to the test yet because I stay in if it's raining. Before the op both my knees would play up with rain. I hope you feel like your old self soon. Keep warm.
 
You surely are still in the early stages - about 8 weeks, aren't you? Perhaps you could do with being more regular with your pain medications and to ice and elevate a bit more.
 
It seems like my new knee is sensitive to rainy weather too. I hope you're over this bump in the road tomorrow.
 
*sigh* -
I'm assuming all this is because of the weather...anyone else bothered by it?

Yes!! ​

My new knee is stiffer during weather events and I spend time in warm water to keep it happy. You are still in the stage where there will be days that you will go forward 3 steps and then back 2 steps. There is an ebb and flow to this healing process and it will try your patience.
 
The storm passed, it's been very sunny and I am feeling so much better! I was able to get out a few times and walk around with a cane - so glad I practiced with PT using it on both sides because my unoperated knee tends to act up a bit. And big news - I went back to the office yesterday and picked up my car! I'm very lucky to have an understanding manager (and a sedentary job) so I will be going in just for a few hours a day meanwhile. Slept very well last night!
 
Morning Bassplayer

You are lucky to have sunshine, it defiantly lifts the feel good factor in us. Well done on your walking with a cane - you are moving forward everyday. Keep up the good work!
 
Bassplayer,Glad your feeling better. Can you send us some sunshine to hear in South Jersey, we're all cloudy!!
 
So nice to hear that things are moving in the right direction. You'll be amazed at the progress you make from now on - slow but sure.:wink1:
 
And big news - I went back to the office yesterday and picked up my car! I'm very lucky to have an understanding manager (and a sedentary job) so I will be going in just for a few hours a day meanwhile. Slept very well last night!

Wow! You're just perking right along! Those moments of feeling strong are so validating as you progress through your healing. Nap time will be tapping you on the shoulder and asking,"Remember me?"
 
I was still taking lots of pain meds at 8 weeks BassPlayer! But, in answer to your weather question...YES the weather really does bother my knee. I am looking so forward to spring and summer arriving again, because I know my knee will feel so much better!
 
Thanks everyone for weighing in about this weather thing. Sounds like many of us are affected by it, which makes me feel better about it somehow.

I heard we are going to be having a rainy weekend here, which is just as well - I was planning on doing NOTHING but resting and reading and watching TV, and keeping warm! :biggrin:
 
Had a good and restful weekend. Both knees were feeling so much better....until today. I went in to work (Sunday is a workday here - but most have Friday off) and came home in pain, in both knees. I've been taking meds all day, cancelled my PT - just couldn't face moving my legs/knees at all. I thought it through and I think I understand. There is just too much walking, standing and waiting for elevators, standing in the elevators as they seem to stop at every floor. And standing in lines, even short ones, in the cafeteria. I think I'm going to have to keep working from home most days. Feeling frustrated! Just don't know what choice there is.
 
You're just feeling normal, that's all. You know there is a reason we tell folks not to plan on going back to work until 12 weeks out from surgery. Your body simply isn't ready for all the activity of "normal" life. We just don't realize all the standing, moving, reaching, bending, getting up and down, etc. that constitutes a normal day.

So don't beat yourself up. Stay home and be thankful that you feel good enough to do some work from there AND that you have a job that makes it possible. It's only temporary. Rest and nap when you can because that helps your body recovery faster....certainly MUCH faster than trying to push yourself to accomplish those "normal" days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom