Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi bassplayer

Great news that you are getting around the house unaided :thumb: Good news also that you recovered so well after your walk - just goes to show that your new knee can cope.
 
Had a couple of setbacks yesterday, but I coped somehow...

First of all, I found out that even though I am getting a "disability tag" for my car from the Israeli transport ministry, I won't be able to get my own parking space next to my building for several months, due to an idiotic Israeli bureaucratic requirement of a form that I cannot obtain until at least 4 months after my next TKR. I should have checked this sooner, but never mind. Meanwhile I sent an email to my lawyer so that he can look into this matter but I doubt he'll be able to do anything. There are two general handicapped parking spaces on my street, but it's "first come first served"' with those. So I'll have to go back to my previous waiting-in-the-street-until-someone-moves-their-car method. I was so upset about all this I cried, but really I was depleted and needed to eat and rest.

Probably not surprisingly, I found myself at 2 a.m. unable to sleep due to pain in the outer thigh of my operated leg. I had taken my meds and they weren't helping. So I decided to turn up the heat in my room and try applying ice. I usually cannot bear the thought of ice because I've been so cold since the surgery. At first I used a bag of frozen string beans, but then put them back and got out one of those blue ice bars that are meant for picnic baskets. I know this isn't the ideal shape but I wanted to be able to just keep it in my room and not worry about defrosting veggies. It worked; I wrapped it with a paper towel and was able to calm down the pain and get to sleep! :sleep:
 
Sometimes you have to improvise. Glad it worked for you.
 
I too am an ice hater when it's cold out (or in..) but do appreciate how much it helps. Anyway, In Tel Aviv you'll soon be nice and warm, hopefully...

Sounds like you're doing well. Keep it up !
 
Hi Bass player, sounds like you are getting things figured out, but I am so sorry about the disability tag. It can be brutal having to walk too much. I was lucky that I had a disability tag, my doctor suggested it before my surgery, I had not even thought of it, but she said that I would need it and I sure did. After one month post TKR I was able to drive my car again. I told my husband I would go to the grocery store all on my own. I got a parking spot just outside the door in the designated area, took my cane and walked into the store. It turned out to be so exhausting 10 minutes in the grocery store I wanted to just cry. I couldn't wait to get to the car, thankfully it was so close. I got that need for independence over with and was not anxious to go off again alone for a while. I sure hope that your lawyer can help you with that!

We've had a very warm winter here in Texas but even if a little cool the thought of ice does not sound good but...that being said...it sure does help. I am glad that you were able to get your pain under control last night and get some sleep...and that the vegetables were not defrosted!! Sleep well...:friends:
 
Hi Bonnie,

The Israeli policies about disabled parking are very strict. And parking in Tel Aviv is a "dog eat dog" situation, but with some patience I can usually find a spot close by. Ultimately I will get my own designated space...but really it's now (and the last year or two) that I really would have needed it!

I guess I'll have to make do meanwhile with the frozen veggie bags and the blue ice bars. Until now I haven't needed ice much and I'm hoping this is just a day or two now of needing it. Before my next TKR I'll have to be better prepared. I'm sure not going shopping any time soon! I so relate to your story about the grocery store!
 
Aargh! My "good" (unoperated) knee has been acting up with all the walking I've been doing. So what do I do? Walk less? I won't be having the next TKR for a few months at least. Last night I ended up icing the unoperated knee more than the new one! Confused...would love input.
 
Oy ..sounds familiar. I complained about the same thing a few weeks ago. It happened just before I was going away and I was concerned besides confused. Luckily I had an appointment with my surgeon that day. He said it is fairly typical that once you fix one the other acts up since you are likely more active than before -and that since we're not going to do anything about my 'good' knee for a while, just try to find the balance - that word again !!!

So - now that I am walking more I actually find my 'good' knee gets better the more I walk, my new knee gets stiffer. :rolleyespink: When I use the stationery bike, it's the opposite ! And, I just realized that when I am doing stairs, my new knee has become my good knee... very, very confusing are these bodies of ours !!!

Hang in - you will sort out what works and what doesn't. What I have learned here is that if it hurts , it's too much -and that goes for new knees and "good " knees...
 
I am NOT happy today! :hissyfit:

My follow-up clinic at the hospital was canceled because there was a big strike in Israel today. I don't even know when I'll get an appointment for a different date.

And I slept horribly all night because they kept saying on the news.."updates at 1 a.m." then "updates at 4 a.m." then "updates at 8 a.m." etc. And there kept not being any news.

Now I have to work today (from home still...thank god for that!), and it will be very hard to focus or even care about it. And I already told everyone, including my manager, that I wouldn't be working. I hate this!

I'm going to have to find something that makes me happy today, and right now I am too annoyed to even think of what. :tantrum2:
 
Hi Bassplayer

What a pain for you - so annoying! As you say try and do something nice and take a nap (you need your sleep). Tomorrow is another day :thumb:
 
Ok, I had a nice shower. I'm feeling much better.

Thanks Jazyb for writing right away. It's great how on Bonesmart there's always someone online with a word or two of good cheer!

Now I'm going to go out and have a nice lunch which must include good coffee! :coffee:
 
Sounds good. I know about that strike ..grrrr. But , this too shall pass !
 
Oh dear! That's not a good place to be in, bass. And yes, the answer to that pain is to walk less for a while! Rest is nature's best healer. Your knee couldn't really care less if you are pleased about that or not! :wink1:
 
Just for a short time, not forever... After struggling last week I suddenly am walking 20 -30 minutes at a time with no pain...It comes, give it time...
 
It's really normal to be feeling as you are. Remember, you are not even 2 months out from this surgery yet!!! Most people don't think about going back to work even part-time until 12 weeks or so.

So.....I think you're doing just fine. It's important for you to allow yourself the time and space you need to heal. No "shoulda" is permitted. The only things you should be doing now are the things you can do comfortably.
 
Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm going to give that unoperated knee a break and not walk too much this weekend.
 
Hi bassplayer,Just saying hello. It is so very frustrating finding that balance in the beginning. I am almost 12 weeks out( on mon.) riding the stationary bike hurts for 2 days afterwards, so I guess I have to stop for awhile and try walking!! It must be rough not keeping your appointment. Hang in there, it sounds like you are doing pretty good!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom