TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
HR monitors come in all shapes, sizes and prices. I'd just stick with a cheap one. Bike mounted means you can see it all the time, wrist ones you have to look at...

You can then hold your exercise level up/down to the level you require, with the heart rate as a percentage of your maximum. It's not rocket science.

Thanks Roy. You've been very helpful. :)
 
I've been sparse with advice cos (paradoxically) there's too much to say. I'd try to pick up a booklet with your HR monitor if you can, then ask specific questions from there.

Polar make good monitors, so do Cateye.
 
Bassplayer,

My two cents here. I would not increase my exercise by more than 10% per week for any given activity; you can use either time or distance. I would also highly recommend cross-training, bike and swim, bike and walk, elliptical trainer and swim, etc. I think it helps if you can find something you love to do, then it does not seem as much like "work" nor is it as hard to make yourself do it. Joining a group can sometimes help, like a walking or hiking group, or a cycling club, or master's swimming. But I think cross-training is very important so you work different muscle groups and that can help with injury prevention and overuse. As far as HR monitors go, I love my Polar for the pool as it is highly reliable but prefer a Garmin or Motoactv for other fitness activities. I like having the GPS capability for when I bike outside. My Motoactv has actually become my favorite because it is also an MPS player but when Google bought out Motorola they discontinued production of it, but I use it for everything other than the pool. Unfortunately, only the analog watches work in the pool, not the digital ones.
 
My mom, who is 80, has orthopedic shoes that are the only shoes we could find that don't press on her hammertoes etc.

You can take shoes to the shoe repair / cobbler and have them stretched in that area. Works for bunions too. Or get a shoe tree made for your foot from a mold of your foot and stretch them slowly.
 
Hello Friends,

Just wanted to check in. As most of you probably realize, we are in a wartime situation over here. So far there have been "only" two alerts in Tel Aviv, and the rockets landed in open areas and no one was hurt. We have only a minute and a half to seek shelter. Many of the buildings are old (like where I live) so we are assigned to municipal shelters. Ours is about 2 blocks away, so I could never get there in 90 seconds - I don't think I can run. But even my 22-year-old son, who is in great shape, wouldn't risk running over there. Anyway, the guidelines in these cases are to go into the stairwell. Most of the rockets are falling in the south, far from here. Hoping this will be over soon and we can get back to normal!

On another topic, at work we had a trip to the north, to the Galilee region earlier this week. I hadn't wanted to go because of extensive sitting required on a minibus. It really was difficult, also getting on and off the bus, which had a very big drop to street level. I had a good time walking around and standing at the various places, which I never could have done before my TKRs. But I saw that I am not yet fully recovered... I slept A LOT for two days after the trip! :sleep: :zzz:
 
bassplayer, Please be careful and take care. This is very tense time for you over there, so be careful and thats for reporting in. Good to see that you got to travel . Keep it up. Tashia
 
Oh my gosh bassplayer. I am so afraid for you even though you say the rockets are not in your area. I am so sorry this is happening to you and your country. Our hearts go out to you. I am glad you are somewhat healed and not completely disabled. I am also glad you have your son with you. Our national cable news gives an update on your country every few minutes and our whole country is worried about you/Israel. Please be careful... we are praying for you and your family's (and country's) safety.
 
Bassplayer, this situation has everyones attention here, all are concerned! I do hope you keep safe and that a cease fire happens quickly! Might it be safer out in the open on the way to shelter than in an old building at risk of destruction? What a situation!
 
Oh my gosh bassplayer. I am so afraid for you even though you say the rockets are not in your area. I am so sorry this is happening to you and your country. Our hearts go out to you. I am glad you are somewhat healed and not completely disabled. I am also glad you have your son with you. Our national cable news gives an update on your country every few minutes and our whole country is worried about you/Israel. Please be careful... we are praying for you and your family's (and country's) safety.

Thanks Marianne! You are right - it would have been horrible to be right after the operation right now. Glad to hear that the US is following this so supportively. By the way, my son went back to Jerusalem, where he is a student. He is home only on weekends usually.
Bassplayer, this situation has everyones attention here, all are concerned! I do hope you keep safe and that a cease fire happens quickly! Might it be safer out in the open on the way to shelter than in an old building at risk of destruction? What a situation!

Thanks Janet! Well actually the building is the best place to be; when I say old I mean dating back to about 1940 or so. Being out in the open is considered the most dangerous place of all.
 
Do you heard the warning sirens all the time? You have got to be a bundle of nerves. I pray there will be an end to this soon.
 
I used to live in Israel..but not in wartime..so I have a special closeness to the country. Stay safe. Thinking of you.
 
My heart is with you as well. I hope all the people there know that you have many, many friends in America. You are in my prayers.
 
So worried about you BP. Let us know that you are okay. The news is frightening and they mention the city of Tel Aviv having sirens going off this am.
Praying for your safety.
 
Do you heard the warning sirens all the time? You have got to be a bundle of nerves. I pray there will be an end to this soon.
So worried about you BP. Let us know that you are okay. The news is frightening and they mention the city of Tel Aviv having sirens going off this am.
Praying for your safety.
Hi Marianne,

Thanks - I am fine. I work north of Tel Aviv so wasn't home for the first alert today. But then there was one in the evening. It's not so frightening here and is almost becoming a routine. Much worse for the people in the southern part of the country.
 
My heart is with you as well. I hope all the people there know that you have many, many friends in America. You are in my prayers.

Thanks Jamie! We don't get to hear about our American supporters so much. Glad to know! :)
 
Oh my goodness BP. So you still go to work with all that going on? I am trying to imagine if the other end of Long Beach was being bombed/rockets. I don't know what it will take for this attack to stop. Those people attacking you are nuts and scare me to death. They don't care whether they hit civilians and children. Everyone is noticing the difference in tactics. Take good care and be safe.
 
I'm glad to hear that you've been safe, bassplayer. As others have said, we're thinking of you and the situation over there.
 
Oh my goodness BP. So you still go to work with all that going on? I am trying to imagine if the other end of Long Beach was being bombed/rockets. I don't know what it will take for this attack to stop. Those people attacking you are nuts and scare me to death. They don't care whether they hit civilians and children. Everyone is noticing the difference in tactics. Take good care and be safe.

Yes, I've been going to work, which is out of missile range. However, I travel at times when there's no traffic, to increase my chances of not getting caught in an alert when I'm in the car. Because the guidelines are to get out of the car and lie in the road, not something I can do easily and would need someone to help me get up. Anyway, for about 36 hours already, there have been no alerts in Tel Aviv!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom