TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Basplayer. I've been away but following the news oh so carefully and in touch with my family and friends in Israel almost daily. I'm glad things have calmed down a bit. Let's pray for a true peace. Stay safe.
 
I agree Randi It would be so nice. Basplayer please continue to stay safe. Tashia
 
Just a quick hello! Happy New Year! :)

I have been back at physical therapy after a long break from it. I feel a lack of energy and was hoping that physical therapy would help. So far, I've greatly improved in going up and down stairs and am building up my endurance on the exercise bike. However, I find that I never know, when I'm walking around outside or in malls or whatever, how long I'll be able to go without feeling extremely exhausted. Sometimes I can walk for 10 minutes or more, other times I can barely walk a few yards/meters. I'm not usually out of breath or in pain, but just plain exhausted. I'm having my thyroid levels checked next week and am also going to a cardiologist. But maybe it is just that it takes a long time to just be able to have endurance after having been sedentary for so long. Hope to have some answers soon!
 
I know when my thyroid was out of balance it played some mean tricks on me! I have been working on my endurance in PT and with a personal trainer! Katie and Felice are both working on cardio as well as strengthening as a part of the total package! I am feeling so much better than I used to and after being pushed to my limit, when I am so tired, that is the point where my energy kicks into overdrive. Sounds strange huh? :happydance:
 
If your thyroid and/or adrenals are depleted, a lot of exercise will makes things worse not better and deplete you even more. Mild exercise is OK. You might want to have your DHEA and cortisol levels checked, although your average GP probably won't do that, you often need to see someone who practices integrative or functional medicine. Checking your DHEA and cortisol in addition to thyroid will give a good picture of both your thyroid and adrenals.

I should have added that I was diagnosed with severe adrenal insufficiency in 2004 and took a medical leave of absence for 6 months and then when I went back to work worked 32 hour weeks for 3 years. I had to be extremely careful that I did not overdo and get too exhausted and I exercised regularly but did not do high intensity (in terms of my heart rate). I still have the adrenal insufficiency but it is better but I still have to be careful to manage my stress, both physical and mental, and get enough rest. I can now tolerate a lot of exercise as long as I keep the other areas of my life in balance in terms of rest and stress management.
 
My thyroid was out of whack as well, too much Synthroid, now I'm lower dose since just after thanksgiving and I've noticed a change in my stamina picking up and I'm not loosing as much hair, which was scaring the hell out of me because a few year back I lost all my hair, from the thyroid imbalance. Also, keep an eye on your BP, because after my BTKR my BP and pulse rate was really low and it certainly affected my stamina and breathing. Like you some times I'd be able to walk quite a bit and other days I was lucky I could walk a few feet without want to pass out!
I'm glad you are getting a lot of things checked out! Good luck, I hope they find out what's causing it because it can be very scary not knowing what's wrong!
 
Bassplayer, Happy New Years! It can take some work after being sedentary, but there could be more going on in your general health. It's certainly not just the knee surgery at this point. I can go out and walk around for an hour or two without thinking about sitting down. I did spend the 18 months before surgery working on getting some sort of regular exercise, mostly walking in the pool. That would probably be a great place for you to start, but get your general health checked out for sure!
 
I know when my thyroid was out of balance it played some mean tricks on me! I have been working on my endurance in PT and with a personal trainer! Katie and Felice are both working on cardio as well as strengthening as a part of the total package! I am feeling so much better than I used to and after being pushed to my limit, when I am so tired, that is the point where my energy kicks into overdrive. Sounds strange huh? :happydance:

Thanks Sonja! Interesting idea to get a personal trainer. :thumb:


If your thyroid and/or adrenals are depleted, a lot of exercise will makes things worse not better and deplete you even more. Mild exercise is OK. You might want to have your DHEA and cortisol levels checked, although your average GP probably won't do that, you often need to see someone who practices integrative or functional medicine. Checking your DHEA and cortisol in addition to thyroid will give a good picture of both your thyroid and adrenals.

I should have added that I was diagnosed with severe adrenal insufficiency in 2004 and took a medical leave of absence for 6 months and then when I went back to work worked 32 hour weeks for 3 years. I had to be extremely careful that I did not overdo and get too exhausted and I exercised regularly but did not do high intensity (in terms of my heart rate). I still have the adrenal insufficiency but it is better but I still have to be careful to manage my stress, both physical and mental, and get enough rest. I can now tolerate a lot of exercise as long as I keep the other areas of my life in balance in terms of rest and stress management.

Thanks Elanor for the heads up about adrenals, etc. I will ask - going to a new GP this week. :thumb:



My thyroid was out of whack as well, too much Synthroid, now I'm lower dose since just after thanksgiving and I've noticed a change in my stamina picking up and I'm not loosing as much hair, which was scaring the hell out of me because a few year back I lost all my hair, from the thyroid imbalance. Also, keep an eye on your BP, because after my BTKR my BP and pulse rate was really low and it certainly affected my stamina and breathing. Like you some times I'd be able to walk quite a bit and other days I was lucky I could walk a few feet without want to pass out!
I'm glad you are getting a lot of things checked out! Good luck, I hope they find out what's causing it because it can be very scary not knowing what's wrong!

Thanks Jacky and Happy New Year! :) Could very well be the "synthroid" - am asking about this next week!




Bassplayer, Happy New Years! It can take some work after being sedentary, but there could be more going on in your general health. It's certainly not just the knee surgery at this point. I can go out and walk around for an hour or two without thinking about sitting down. I did spend the 18 months before surgery working on getting some sort of regular exercise, mostly walking in the pool. That would probably be a great place for you to start, but get your general health checked out for sure!

Thanks Janet and Happy New Year! :) Wow, you are doing so great to be able to walk around for up to 2 hours! Very wise you were to exercise before the surgery. I didn't think of it, and only had 5 months notice before the 1st TKR. The month before I only went out with a wheelchair...oh well we can't change the past. Going to a new GP and also a cardiologist next week. Hope to have some answers!
 
Happy New Year, Bassplayer!
So nice to *see* you. Sorry that you are having some troubles. Let us know what you find out. Do you have asthma? Make sure you have your vitamin D level checked along with your adrenals and thyroid. (Adrenal deficiency can lead to thyroid problems.) Physical and emotional distress can deplete vitamin D, and the body must choose between vitamin D and cortisol. It will choose cortisol for survival purposes, which will further perpetuate adrenal fatigue. With all of the flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, upper respiratory infections, bronchitis, and some sort of roaring, constant cough going around here, I have uppped my and my husband’s D3 to 5000 IU a day along 2000 mg of liposomal C. Knock on wood, everyone around us is sick…very sick…… Good luck. Feel better!!!! Hope they find answers quickly. I look forward to your update.
 
Happy New Year, Bassplayer!
So nice to *see* you. Sorry that you are having some troubles. Let us know what you find out. Do you have asthma? Make sure you have your vitamin D level checked along with your adrenals and thyroid. (Adrenal deficiency can lead to thyroid problems.) Physical and emotional distress can deplete vitamin D, and the body must choose between vitamin D and cortisol. It will choose cortisol for survival purposes, which will further perpetuate adrenal fatigue. With all of the flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, upper respiratory infections, bronchitis, and some sort of roaring, constant cough going around here, I have uppped my and my husband’s D3 to 5000 IU a day along 2000 mg of liposomal C. Knock on wood, everyone around us is sick…very sick…… Good luck. Feel better!!!! Hope they find answers quickly. I look forward to your update.

Oops just saw this. Thanks Nyland. Here we have a lot of sun all year round so I think I'm ok with vitamin D but I'll have it checked when I do my next blood test.
 
A few updates:

First of all, I am scheduled to have an echocardiogram and a stress test (ordered by my cardiologist) the first week of March. The cardiologist doesn't expect any unusual findings. Hopefully we'll rule out any reasons related to my heart for the difficulties in increasing my stamina.

Meanwhile, things have been better in that department. I've been taking the stairs more, both up and down, and this has been making a huge difference. I feel better, and am walking better. Also I managed to take off a few kilos and am still going on with that.

Big news in the ROM department. Today my physical therapist determined that I have close to 140 degrees ROM in my left knee, and about 133 or so in the right. I am thrilled! :happydance: :dancy: :spin: I hope this encourages anyone who is unhappy with their ROM. It is true that it is never too late to improve your ROM. I am so glad that in the early days after my second TKR I didn't let any PT hurt me. Even though I seemed to be making very slow progress at the time, it turns out that everything I read and heard on Bonesmart WAS RIGHT!! You just need to do gentle stretches in the first weeks and take everything slowly.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! :cheers:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel
Really nice report, bassplayer. Just super ROM! Love it when anyone is a testament to the truth of the BoneSmart mantra, and you surely are. And losing weight, too! That's just great.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel
Really nice report, bassplayer. Just super ROM! Love it when anyone is a testament to the truth of the BoneSmart mantra, and you surely are. And losing weight, too! That's just great.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Thanks so much, Judy! I would love to go back to the hospital and tell those PTs there (and some doctors) a thing or two. They were so sure of their "no pain no gain" policies. It was very difficult to fight them, but I had learned so much here and felt empowered, and succeeded in preventing them from hurting me. It's terrible to think of the pain and damage they inflict on their TKR patients.
 
I had an 82 year old man tell me his "girl friend " was going to a good therapy place! I asked him why he said that, and he said, because she always is pushed until she cries and she sees others doing the same! I told him, she is at the wrong PT place! PT should never make a person so uncomfortable they want to cry! :shocked:
 
I had an 82 year old man tell me his "girl friend " was going to a good therapy place! I asked him why he said that, and he said, because she always is pushed until she cries and she sees others doing the same! I told him, she is at the wrong PT place! PT should never make a person so uncomfortable they want to cry! :shocked:

Oh Sonja, I'm so glad you were able to tell him. How terrible for that poor woman! :yikes:
Something needs to be done about these insane PTs! :headbang:
 
Oh Sonja, I'm so glad you were able to tell him. How terrible for that poor woman! :yikes:
Something needs to be done about these insane PTs! :headbang:

Yes, that is the problem! So many people believe a few (thankfully) insane PT's that tell them, if you don't hurt, you aren't working hard enough! Well Curtis was talking to us at T-Star where he uses the gym, and they set him straight after I did! :happydance:

His friend is going to have the other one done, and he told us he would promise us that she would move to T-Star. He didn't want her to hurt, but didn't know. :wink: Another victory for the BoneSmarties!
 
Yes, that is the problem! So many people believe a few (thankfully) insane PT's that tell them, if you don't hurt, you aren't working hard enough! Well Curtis was talking to us at T-Star where he uses the gym, and they set him straight after I did! :happydance:

His friend is going to have the other one done, and he told us he would promise us that she would move to T-Star. He didn't want her to hurt, but didn't know. :wink: Another victory for the BoneSmarties!

Great Sonja! So glad to hear that happy ending! :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom