TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bassplayer! I was looking around tonight for my thread and found yours. I just wanted to say hi and see how you were doing? It's been awhile. It looks like my thread is closed for some reason, I don't know why, so I will just have to look for all of you. I see that your ROM is 140 and 133, that is just so excellent. I have been fighting hard and have gotten to 127 after originally having 135. Tell me what you and your PT have done for you to have such wonderful ROM. Hope all is well with that stress test! Take care...
 
Yes, bassplayer, how are you doing?
Out and about enjoying life?! :)
 
Chag sameach, Bassplayer! Great to hear about your ROM. Any news on the cardiology front?
At a Seder I attended downtown, the traditional ending prayer "next year in Jerusalem" was changed to "next year, may there be peace in Jerusalem." May there be peace in Tel Aviv and all over Israel!
 
Hi Bassplayer! I was looking around tonight for my thread and found yours. I just wanted to say hi and see how you were doing? It's been awhile. It looks like my thread is closed for some reason, I don't know why, so I will just have to look for all of you. I see that your ROM is 140 and 133, that is just so excellent. I have been fighting hard and have gotten to 127 after originally having 135. Tell me what you and your PT have done for you to have such wonderful ROM. Hope all is well with that stress test! Take care...

Hi Bonnie,

I don't want to disappoint you, but now I'm not sure about the ROM. The 140 and 133 was measured by my physical therapist, but my orthopedist thought it was less, around 120 each, but didn't actually measure. Really in PT we didn't do anything so amazing, just consistent stretching and I rode the exercise bike several times which seemed to do a lot. The stress test was fine - I'm going to add a post about it in a few minutes after I answer all you wonderful friends!

By the way, my thread was closed too. I asked Josephine to reopen it and she did. I think it's automatically closed if you don't post for 6 weeks or 6 months...don't remember exactly.
 
Yes, bassplayer, how are you doing?
Out and about enjoying life?! :)

Hi 1ELISEA,

I'm doing great! I'm just about to post with some updates, so give it a look a bit later. :) How are you? I need to catch up with everybody's threads.
 
Chag sameach, Bassplayer! Great to hear about your ROM. Any news on the cardiology front?
At a Seder I attended downtown, the traditional ending prayer "next year in Jerusalem" was changed to "next year, may there be peace in Jerusalem." May there be peace in Tel Aviv and all over Israel!

Hey D. Diva,

What a lovely post! Great to hear from you, and all I can say to that last line is a big AMEN! I'm about to post an update, so check back later to see. How are you doing these days?
 
Hello Fellow Bonesmarties! :)

There's a lot new with me! First of all, I became a vegan on December 13th (just missed it being 12-12-12). I was very happy to make the decision and join my sister and daughter who are both vegan. However, I felt I was not finding my way and didn't love what I was eating. Too much processed food. So....

I became a nutritarian and have been following Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" way of eating, and that started on Feb. 3rd. Since then I have lost 19.5 pounds and am going strong! My cholesterol dropped to 137 and other blood stats are also excellent. I feel great and love this very nutritious way of eating.

Ok, so to the knees...

I had my echocardiogram and stress test and both were fine. I went back to the cardiologist and she said that while the stress test was acceptable, it showed that I am not in good shape and need to do much more exercising (well I knew that already!). I was happy to find out that I have no limits on the amount of walking or exercise biking I want to do. She recommended interval work if that is easier for me. She cut my statin and beta blocker meds in half and I will probably be able to drop them in a few months.

So I joined the gym at work and have been using the treadmill. I can walk more than a kilometer before needing a brief rest. Today I walked about 2 kilometers around my neighborhood, and this is a record for me! I think I needed the confidence of knowing that my heart is basically ok and I will be fine if I push myself on the exercising. And for sure losing weight has helped in that regard. I have so much more to lose...over 100 lbs! I am realizing now that I had been traumatized from having been so disabled before my TKRs and I was very fearful that I couldn't walk and that was becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm moving beyond the trauma now. I hope this will encourage others who may be also fearful about doing too much.

And I had my checkup with the orthopedist. He thought my ROM was much less than the PT, but I was very stiff when he checked. When the PT checked, I was very warmed up and flexible because he checked at the end of a session. So I don't know what my real ROM is, but also, I know that whatever it is, I am more than functioning and everything is fine. So I'm not going to worry about the numbers. I still have that "crunchy" sounding left knee when I unbend it. The doctor is convinced that it is some tissue that is somehow under the kneecap. I have no trouble walking with it whatsoever. It's only when I get up from sitting that it can be a nuisance. My next checkup is in a year!
 
By the way, I am using a great iPhone/iPad app called Walk Log. I was in touch with the developer with some input and he gave me some free codes. I have 3 left - if anyone's interested send me a private message!
 
What great news on all fronts Bassplayer! Weight loss, good heart, getting around well and the green light to exercise! I am very happy for you. As for your ROM, I am like you. My knee still gets stiff and when it does probably I am at 120 at best, but during a Physical Therapy session all warmed up like you said and plenty of stretching I have been able to get to 127 twice now, so I am holding on to it and not going backwards. I went mountain biking a week ago, real dirt trails with uphills, downhills and turns. I only fell over twice! Lots of bruises on me after that but my knee was fine.


Maybe you are right about the 6 weeks and thread closing because I had not posted since February 13. Again, glad that all is well. I am about to have some changes going on too, getting ready to buy a new house 'one story' no stairs! Stairs have been a problem for me and my husband the last two years. Buying, selling and moving is very stressful!!
 
What great news on all fronts Bassplayer! Weight loss, good heart, getting around well and the green light to exercise! I am very happy for you. As for your ROM, I am like you. My knee still gets stiff and when it does probably I am at 120 at best, but during a Physical Therapy session all warmed up like you said and plenty of stretching I have been able to get to 127 twice now, so I am holding on to it and not going backwards. I went mountain biking a week ago, real dirt trails with uphills, downhills and turns. I only fell over twice! Lots of bruises on me after that but my knee was fine.


Maybe you are right about the 6 weeks and thread closing because I had not posted since February 13. Again, glad that all is well. I am about to have some changes going on too, getting ready to buy a new house 'one story' no stairs! Stairs have been a problem for me and my husband the last two years. Buying, selling and moving is very stressful!!

Thanks Bonnie. I am afraid of cycling out of fear of falling! You are very brave! And lucky - good that your new knee was ok! I am in a rented apartment for 9 years and would like to move; my lease is up soon. But I am put off by the stress and will probably stay another year. It's an old building but a great location...I hear you about the stairs though. Luckily I have only half a flight. How is Dave doing these days?
 
Hi Bassplayer, great to hear from you and that you're doing so well on all fronts. I don't think the ROM measurement is so important as the knee being functional and the ability to do what you want to do. Slowly slowly is the key with the exercise. Just walk a little further each day. I have an android phone and MyTracks app so I can keep a record of how far I've walked and how long it took. I walk at least half an hour every day and maybe once a week I go "tramping". My longest has been 4 hours, but most are around 2 hours and include some hill work. Even after all that I don't think I'll be skiing this year.

Have you tried swimming. I've been going twice a week for the past 3 or 4 months and have progressively increased to 30 x 25 metre lengths swimming with flippers and 10 x 15 metres water walking. Then I sit in the hot pool for a while and do some gentle stretches. My knee feels so much freer after that.

I know others at more than a year post op are doing so much more, but I think everybody is different and we do things at our own pace. I'm the tortoise not the hare in this recovery, whereas in life I'm usually the hare.

Keep in touch and take care of yourself.
 
Hi Bassplayer, great to hear from you and that you're doing so well on all fronts. I don't think the ROM measurement is so important as the knee being functional and the ability to do what you want to do. Slowly slowly is the key with the exercise. Just walk a little further each day. I have an android phone and MyTracks app so I can keep a record of how far I've walked and how long it took. I walk at least half an hour every day and maybe once a week I go "tramping". My longest has been 4 hours, but most are around 2 hours and include some hill work. Even after all that I don't think I'll be skiing this year.

Have you tried swimming. I've been going twice a week for the past 3 or 4 months and have progressively increased to 30 x 25 metre lengths swimming with flippers and 10 x 15 metres water walking. Then I sit in the hot pool for a while and do some gentle stretches. My knee feels so much freer after that.

I know others at more than a year post op are doing so much more, but I think everybody is different and we do things at our own pace. I'm the tortoise not the hare in this recovery, whereas in life I'm usually the hare.

Keep in touch and take care of yourself.

Thanks Margaret. Your kind words mean a lot to me! Especially that part about the tortoise and the hare - you are so right! And we cannot choose our pace. The knee(s) is/are in charge!
 
It's close to a year now since my second TKR, so here's an update, since 1ELISEA was asking the other day. :)
I'm getting around under my own steam really well these days. By that I mean that I can actually walk and stand and get places, and this is something that was previously impossible or very difficult. I've been getting to the gym only once or twice a week and use the treadmill there. I have done as much as 2 kilometers and this has really boosted my endurance, which is improving all the time. It's a thrill that I can do normal things like shopping! I am still very aware of my knees at all times. It's not that there is pain; I just am aware and don't take them for granted.

I'm still following Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan, and have lost about 30 pounds now. :)
 
Excellent my dear!
Glad you got the tag and popped in!
You've been getting to the gym OnnnNnnnLlllY once or twice a week! Kudos to you! Way to go!
 
AGH!
My internet keeps kicking me off, probably means I should get off and go to bed.
One year, wow, I still need to write something on my thread about what has changed over the year having had it.
Talk to you later! :SUNsmile:
 
Hay Its so good to hear from you and hear you are doing so good. In another year I hope you get ten times better than you are now. Take care and don't be a stranger. Tashia
 
Hi Bassplayer, good to hear from you and you do sound like things are better for you now than a few months ago. Keep up the great work.
 
I agree and I am impressed with how hard you have worked to gain some fitness too!! Not to mention a 30 lb weight loss---amazing. I am sure that it is easier to move without that 30 pound bag of potatoes on your body!!
 
Hi Bassplayer, glad to see your update! It sounds like you are doing really well and enjoying the benefits of having had surgery! It's certainly easier to lose weight when you can move, as well. I think our second year will be even better!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom