TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bassplayer. good to hear about your progress i'm a great fan of water walking to build up stamina as well as the stationery bike. both unfortunately out for me for now given my newest boo-boos! just like all else, a little at a time and patience, patience, patience.
 
I agree with Roy. Just walk for instance a mile today and tomorrow. On the next day try to walk a mile and 3/4. Do that for a few days and then up the distance again. If you need to stay in one sport for up to a week, no problem. Kelly
 
I agree.
The best way to build endurance is to try to do a bit more each day.
If you over-do it, your knees will let you know.
Taking a walk is convenient, you don't need any special equipment (other than your legs!), and can be done at any time.
Best,
Sandy
 
oops, I meant walk a mile today and tomorrow and then walk a mile and 1/4 the next day and maybe two days after that. Just increase your walking slowly.
 
Of course you can! Training is simple (not the same as easy!) you just keep doing a little bit more of what you want to do. A little bit more, every day. You know you've overdone it if you do more today and can't do it again tomorrow; if that happens, dial it down a bit.

For instance. As one gets older, strength declines. I was horrified a while ago to find I couldn't do a single press-up properly (just toes and hands on the ground) and had to do it with the knees on the deck. I now can do 9 proper press-ups, and do that 9 every day, as many times as convenient. But at least once a day! Then, when I can, it'll be 10, then 11, etc.

Thanks Roy. What you say makes sense, and it's good to hear that you've been able to increase your press-ups (push-ups?). I need to persist - and get out walking every day. It'll be easier now that the weather is finally cooling off here.
 
oops, I meant walk a mile today and tomorrow and then walk a mile and 1/4 the next day and maybe two days after that. Just increase your walking slowly.

Thanks skigirl, but your numbers are a bit optimistic. I can walk only a few blocks these days. I hope I'll build up to a mile! :)
 
It is okay, but the same principles apply---3 blocks today and tomorrow, then try for 3.5 blocks, then 4. Just try to increase the distance every few days. Before you know it, that mile will be there. Kelly
 
I, too, think Kelly is being a little optimistic. My understanding is that a training schedule should never be increased by more than 10% at a time. Although it does vary according (a) to natural ability, of course, and (b) whether you are breaking new ground or recapturing old form; the latter is much easier.

But what IMO is KEY is not to let a day go by*. If you walk a mile comfortably on Monday, walk a mile Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...

*the caveat is that if you go from 1 to 1 1/2 miles, say, you might be OK on the first day, then a bit tired on the 2nd day, more on the 3rd, etc. This shows it's a bit too much, and it's OK then when you're really tired to take a rest day, then start again at 1 1/2 miles.
 
Shalom, Bassplayer (besides TKR, we have two other things in common: good taste in instruments and that blonde gene that kicks in at middle age). Good to hear from you and that you are doing better and better. You are about 2 weeks ahead of me on that RTKR, and the fact that 9 mos. after your LTKR it doesn't really hurt any more. (I'm planning my LTKR for late Dec. 2012/early Jan.2013). Stamina still remains a sticking point for me, but I wonder how much is due to overweight and age (the far side of 61). I walked a mile on occasion while on my river cruise (those walking tours--mostly Bamberg, Rothenburg and Kinderdijk) in order to not fall behind the tour group. Sort of daunting to see people twice my girth with worse knees--one on CRUTCHES!--overtake me. The aftermath of the dang cobblestones is making even a block seem like a mile--I keep dreaming of shoes & inserts that would cradle and prop up my sore spot and keep it from contacting anything, while keeping my toes from being smushed. I doubt they exist. Before the cobblestones I could go nearly a half mile without stopping!
 
It is okay, but the same principles apply---3 blocks today and tomorrow, then try for 3.5 blocks, then 4. Just try to increase the distance every few days. Before you know it, that mile will be there. Kelly

I, too, think Kelly is being a little optimistic. My understanding is that a training schedule should never be increased by more than 10% at a time. Although it does vary according (a) to natural ability, of course, and (b) whether you are breaking new ground or recapturing old form; the latter is much easier.

But what IMO is KEY is not to let a day go by*. If you walk a mile comfortably on Monday, walk a mile Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...

*the caveat is that if you go from 1 to 1 1/2 miles, say, you might be OK on the first day, then a bit tired on the 2nd day, more on the 3rd, etc. This shows it's a bit too much, and it's OK then when you're really tired to take a rest day, then start again at 1 1/2 miles.


Thanks to both of you for your encouragement! I guess the longest journey begins with a single step... :)
 
Shalom, Bassplayer (besides TKR, we have two other things in common: good taste in instruments and that blonde gene that kicks in at middle age). Good to hear from you and that you are doing better and better. You are about 2 weeks ahead of me on that RTKR, and the fact that 9 mos. after your LTKR it doesn't really hurt any more. (I'm planning my LTKR for late Dec. 2012/early Jan.2013). Stamina still remains a sticking point for me, but I wonder how much is due to overweight and age (the far side of 61). I walked a mile on occasion while on my river cruise (those walking tours--mostly Bamberg, Rothenburg and Kinderdijk) in order to not fall behind the tour group. Sort of daunting to see people twice my girth with worse knees--one on CRUTCHES!--overtake me. The aftermath of the dang cobblestones is making even a block seem like a mile--I keep dreaming of shoes & inserts that would cradle and prop up my sore spot and keep it from contacting anything, while keeping my toes from being smushed. I doubt they exist. Before the cobblestones I could go nearly a half mile without stopping!

Shalom! :)

Who knows how to analyze exactly why walking gets difficult? It's age and weight, and how much time we were sedentary and disabled. And how many cobblestones we hobbled over....

My mom, who is 80, has orthopedic shoes that are the only shoes we could find that don't press on her hammertoes etc. I can find out the brand name if you are interested. Could be they were prescribed by her podiatrist. I'll check with my sister and get back to you.

Meanwhile, rock on! ;)
 
As a cynical Confucius (or perhaps a smart-alec fortune cookie writer) might have said, "The journey of a thousand miles...ends with your luggage in Cleveland." Doesn't mean one should stay home.:loll:
 
My OS told me at my last checkup (er...about 6 weeks ago already) to continue with physical therapy. I haven't had a PT session for a long time, maybe 2-3 months! So should I go to PT? I don't feel motivated. My main issue as I see it is building up my endurance. Not sure that's a PT concern.
 
Recommend? Right, all this is strictly IMO.

First, healing must be complete (or a long way down the line) before training that involves the knee(s) should start. This means no swelling or day-to-day pain, knee(s) pretty much out of mind, normal life continuing. If healing is not complete, stretching only, no training (this is what PT is for). Other training such as upper-body strength is unaffected, of course.

For endurance training I reckon walking and cycling (I've done both) and swimming (by reputation only, I hate it) are good.

So, start by walking a bit*. When the knee doesn't react over the next 24 hours, walk 10% more the next day. If you do get a reaction - or think you might be about to - back off (ice, elevate if needed) for one or two days, until back to normal. Then walk the distance that does not cause reaction and only increase the distance once every 10 days or so. Walk every day. Keep going until your knee isn't the limiting factor. Once you're going as far as you want, go faster.

Exactly the same principle on the bike, except IMO it's kinder to the knee(s). You can get your heart rate much higher and do a real workout. This really will improve cardiovascular fitness (endurance).


*a friend of mine, multiple world champion cyclist, 2 1/2 hour marathon runner and professional coach was once asked 'How do I start running training?' and replied 'Open the door and f*** off.'
 
Recommend? Right, all this is strictly IMO.

First, healing must be complete (or a long way down the line) before training that involves the knee(s) should start. This means no swelling or day-to-day pain, knee(s) pretty much out of mind, normal life continuing. If healing is not complete, stretching only, no training (this is what PT is for). Other training such as upper-body strength is unaffected, of course.

For endurance training I reckon walking and cycling (I've done both) and swimming (by reputation only, I hate it) are good.

So, start by walking a bit*. When the knee doesn't react over the next 24 hours, walk 10% more the next day. If you do get a reaction - or think you might be about to - back off (ice, elevate if needed) for one or two days, until back to normal. Then walk the distance that does not cause reaction and only increase the distance once every 10 days or so. Walk every day. Keep going until your knee isn't the limiting factor. Once you're going as far as you want, go faster.

Exactly the same principle on the bike, except IMO it's kinder to the knee(s). You can get your heart rate much higher and do a real workout. This really will improve cardiovascular fitness (endurance).


*a friend of mine, multiple world champion cyclist, 2 1/2 hour marathon runner and professional coach was once asked 'How do I start running training?' and replied 'Open the door and f*** off.'

Thanks Roy. This is very helpful. Do you mean a real bike or exercise bike?
 
Thanks Roy. This is very helpful. Do you mean a real bike or exercise bike?
Either; I can't be doing with an exercise bike -- all that pedalling and still in the same place -- but you can control your exertion much better on one. A heart rate monitor is the thing for this (if you know how to use one, I can explain if you need it).
 
Either; I can't be doing with an exercise bike -- all that pedalling and still in the same place -- but you can control your exertion much better on one. A heart rate monitor is the thing for this (if you know how to use one, I can explain if you need it).

I will look into the exercise bike option. I have no idea how to use a heart rate monitor - do you mean the "wristwatch" type? I was thinking of getting one of those.
 
HR monitors come in all shapes, sizes and prices. I'd just stick with a cheap one. Bike mounted means you can see it all the time, wrist ones you have to look at...

You can then hold your exercise level up/down to the level you require, with the heart rate as a percentage of your maximum. It's not rocket science.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom