TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I have to admit that getting caught up on your thread is so much fun. You have a great attitude and I found myself smiling throughout your posts. I was thinking how funny that only those of us who have had knee replacements would understand such things as the dangers of a dream about heel slides or sticking our butts out to walk down the stairs or the suggestion of walking down backwards. I am certain that only this group would understand my continual jealousy of other people's bends - strangers on the street crouching down and me thinking, "oh, how I'd love to be able to do that". Thank you for making this long recovery a little more light hearted.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Pheebs52 , you ain't kiddin' girl, busy typing fingers - you've been a member since May 6 and you have over 1600 messages - that makes more than 100 messages per day - OMG
And I hear you @mechellec, every time I see someone crouch or sit on their knees, I'm sure I must have a weird look on my face.
 
Aw, @mechellec, I'm glad I can make you smile. We are members of same, select group; S-L-O-W B-E-N-D-E-R-S! I expect we'll *arrive* ...eventually,...but for now, as @kmak81230 would say, "We're on the scenic route to recovery!" We have to laugh, 'cuz what else is there, right? I mean, if it were an issue of will, we'd both be able to kick ourselves in the butt.:snork:

@sandi4213, if you haven't tried one of those anti-gravity chairs at BB&B, check them out. They're super comfy, lol! Be sure to bring your phone-less husband with you and lose him in the store....much more fun that way!

@nensi, some people knit, I type, lol. Whatever makes the time fly, eh? On my last PT visit, I saw someone performing a crouching exercise and I was quick to tell my therapist it definitely wasn't one of my goals. I've been a proud, *non-croucher* for more than five years and can't think of any reason to change.:heehee:

Today will be super-exciting around here! My new fancy-schmancy recliner is going to arrive somewhere between 10-2, and my house cleaner is coming; whoohoo! If I could crouch, I wouldn't need her exemplary services, so in my opinion, crouching is very overrated and shall remain that way.:smile2:
 
I haven't crouched in over 10 years. I would like to crouch, at least in theory, but I'm not sure it would ever feel natural!
 
Theoretical crouching has some appeal but I'm sure the reality is disappointing or just kind of blah, Susie. I admit, as a result of being a non-croucher, I never scan the bottom shelves in supermarkets, but honestly? I don't think there's anything there I want. If there is, I am blissfully unaware.:heehee:
 
@Pheebs52 Thanks for the laugh! So uplifting especially for those of us in the slow benders club!
I applaud your shopping efforts. I have been to the hardware store and the drug store Period! I haven't been to a grocery store in the 10 weeks since my surgery. My DH has declared he likes the grocery shopping gig so I just might give it up permanently. Now if I could just convince him that he liked cleaning toilets!!
My PT ( the kinder, gentler one) is finally back from vacation so will go for my assessment today and will update my thread. I am anxious to hear what he has to say after the insurance provided PT was less than gentle and I had to tell her to back off.
 
@Canada35, a hubby who likes to food shop is a gift from above! Mine doesn't seem to mind it either and I've only gone twice with him to a small market. The first time, I had to leave him in the checkout aisle, hahaha. I just couldn't stand still at that point.

Hint: I'm sure if you weren't cleaning the toilet bowl, he just might step-up to the task.:heehee:

I look for your thread later to see how your PT assessment goes. TG for a more gentle therapist!
 
Good morning girls! I too am catching up on threads. I'll post on my thread about my recent events but I want to enter in on this crouching discussion.... so I have always called it squatting. Even in high school my knees were so bad I couldn't squat. I had a high school job in a local nursing home and I remember even then having to get on my hands and knees to retrieve something because of the knees. So one of the first things I asked my OS was could I squat after my surgery. Of course he said, yes of course you can.... I am afreed he lied, lol. Now my fantasy is to be able to put on my underware just a little easier as I too am a member of the slow benders club!!

So I have a question. I was going to PM one of you because I was embarrassed to ask. But...I see so many using this abbreviation. So what the heck does DH stand for. I know it's your spouse but what words?? I hate to show but ignorance on current techy things considering my profession. My kids would always say they couldn't understand how I could teach these very sophisticated medical equipment and not figure out how to set the clock on the microwave.... I'm being vulnerable here so don't be laughing at me.:rotfl:

@Pheebs52 it sounds like you've had some adventurous days, especially the nap at BB&B! Enjoy that new recliner!
 
@becticu, DH means Darling Husband. Isn't the internet wonderful? It even has it's own language! I do find it is safest to ask if you don't know an abbreviation, just in case. There are some strange things out there!

Because of the arthritis, I haven't been able to squat or kneel in ages. If absolutely necessary I can get onto the ground by getting as close as possible and letting gravity do the rest. Worse is the getting up part. I have to flip over onto hands and toes, bring one foot forward (which hurts), push up enough to get the other foot under me (which hurts), lift my butt into the air and stand up from there. It is a painful and ridiculous performance which I prefer to avoid. If new knees will allow me the ability to get on and off the floor, that would be good.

Meanwhile I bend pretty well at the waist and hips, so I can get to low shelves...I just can't read any labels while I am down there :giggle:
 
Same here, I bend at the waist and can get pretty darn low, so I can see and reach for things on low shelves, though I can't read the labels! The other day, I did bend my knees a bit and semi-squat to get lower. So maybe it will come naturally in its own time.

Mr. Shoes HATES grocery shopping. I like it. As we do everything together, and for so many years I've relied on him to lug cases of water and other heavy things, so it is with grocery shopping. We kind of power shop. He wants to be quick about it, and complains that I squeeze every orange and examine every bag of cherries. That's not quite true. But we manage very well. Something I like lots less is when we go to a game store. He can peruse board games for hours. Even before my knees got horrible, I had to look for a chair, or go outside and sit on a planter edge.
 
@becticu My teenage grandchildren are my go to for all things Internet and technology related so I feel your plight. My DH is even far worse than I so sometimes I even feel smart lol!

Peg
 
@rubyyarn, thanks for getting me in the loop with darling husband. I had imagined several D words, darling wasn't one of them, lol. Although I do have to say mine is darling, at least some, err I mean most of the time!

@Canada35, my grandkids are still a little on the young side to help with internet and abbreviations. However I'm amazed at the toddler age grandkids that work my iPad like a wiz. Although I am an RN, I work in the the nursing technology field. That's what is so funny to my family.....we have 4 remotes for the TV in the family room. That's just way too many. Since I've been out for surgery at least I have finally figured them out. I didn't watch much TV before surgery because I just didn't have time so I didn't care if I couldn't figure it out. Going back to work after all this time should be interesting....
 
Becky, it seems the Internet *language* changes almost every day, so we have to be quick to stay in the current usage. I think the Urban dictionary has a complete listing of all the acronyms, but of course, I could be wrong.:SUNsmile: I'm fairly hip to most of them, but as I said, new ones are added all too frequently. Like you, I am not well versed in other techy stuff and don't seem to care, lol.

I can also bend from the waist and actually touch my toes, *gasp* but...it's bad for my back and my bionic hip isn't very fond of it either. As such, I generally just ignore those bottom shelves.:happydance: I had cataract surgery about 4 years ago, and ended up with eagle-eye vision, but...I need cheap readers for all small print and I almost never remember to bring them into stores with me; hah!

BTW, (By the way) setting those blasted microwave clocks can be tricky, lol!
 
Aaaah, my new chair has arrived and it is utter bliss! Why I didn't think to buy this prior to surgery is beyond me! Apparently, I just placed to much faith in my ordinarily comfy sofa and ottoman, but this would have made such a difference to me for sleeping during those first 2-3 weeks and just general comfort for everything else. Live and learn, right? I'll definitely be all set for Round Two when I decide to bite that bullet!
 
Enjoy that new recliner! I bought an electric complete prone recliner before my surgery. I was hoping for a bilateral, but OS said no, but I still used it for a couple of months. Being able to lay it out flat helped a whole lot in the lack of sleeping issues. My only complaint was the seat was hard as a rock. I sat on a pillow, which was a big help. You will love that recliner!
 
Pheebs, what kind of recliner did you get? (i will check back in tomorrow ~ my battery is down to 1%, so better recharge, then join hubby and liam in bed lol). have a good night!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom