TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Congrats on your outing today VW54 - that's a lot of steps, with crutches no less. I hear you on the pain - my achiness the last couple of days is similar to a few weeks ago -- I guess we are in one of the "2 steps" back phase of our line dance through recovery.
 
Well, it seems like most of us are not looking straight ahead, lol. I can do it in the house or in a store, but outdoors? No, not yet. The sidewalks around here are atrocious and the roads, while better, are filled with crazed drivers. My best bet for now when outdoors, is a paved trail in a park. Yesterday, we did do a dirt trail and it was great fun, but look ahead? No, not with all the rocks, gravel, felled trees and tree roots. I doubt I ever walked in the woods looking ahead and I'm not going to start now.

@rubyyarn, we have two small dogs who love nothing more than to get underfoot; hah! One of them did trip me up a bit a few weeks ago and I narrowly escaped an actual fall. I still managed to hurt my leg though; pffft!

@kmak81230, I think you and I are members of a very select group; we actually like our PT's! I'm sorry your knee is misbehaving today and wonder if staining the deck furniture yesterday put it in some strange positions? Hopefully, it'll clear up very fast with rest and ice. Kudos to your PT in being flexible about measurements that will be sent to your OS and postponing until Thursday. Last week, mine measured me while I was lying on my side on the table and apparently, that's where my flexion is most impressive! Of course, *impressive* is a relative term, hahaha!:yes: I wish I could blame extension for my robotic walking style, but I cannot since mine is zero. I still think there's a loose wire somewhere between brain and knee.:scratch:

@Jennszoo, it is an interesting way to get a bit more flex and use some muscles that haven't been used in quite awhile. That said, I doubt your newest knee is ready for anything of the sort, especially since it wasn't even suggested to me until the end of week 6.

I had two busy days this weekend and though nothing actually hurts today and I'm not even particularly stiff, I'm wicked tired, so I'm one with the sofa. :yawn:
 
My right hand and forearm hurt so badly after all that walking in Chicago, from the cane. Almost more than my baby knee.
 
This conversation about where to look when walking is really interesting. I'm not sure what I do--I'll have to pay attention next time I go for an outdoor walk. I went for a short walk outside with the PT today and she said my gait was fine--I do have to think about it so I don't revert to the stiff legged walk I was doing pre-surgery.
 
It is great to have a PT who is gentle, listens to me, and is unconcerned about the ROM timeline (we are both fortunate indeed Pheebs). Particularly since my OS is a bit more pushy, wanting me to "be aggressive" with the exercises. My OS actually said at my last two appts "You can't hurt the new knee at this point, but I want the knee to hurt you as you work it.":yikes: The first time was before I found BoneSmart so I took him at his word - ULK. The second time, at my 6 week appt, I just nodded and smiled and headed for the couch. I expect my PT wouldn't even measure except for the obligatory reports to the OS (and perhaps insurance). Today he did a lot of massage which felt great and just a few balance exercises. Glad to hear that you are pain free today after an active weekend. I expect just the amount of standing to do the staining was part of the problem. I've been sleeping a solid 5-6 hours at a time now (YIPPEE) and wonder if I'm contorting myself in my sleep - probably not.
 
What is it about today?? Several are saying the same thing I am. I hurt so bad today. I have taken a :censored: load of meds today and haven't been painfree since 5am. No weather changes to blame it on. It definitely is not cause I overdid it either. I've been down almost exclusively since Wed even since vertigo hit. One thing I can say is this recovery isn't boring because you never know what the knee is gonna do. On the other hand I feel like I am in Punxsutawney (as in the movie Ground Ground Day) every day. Can't make up my mind....

@Pheebs52 I am wicked tired as well today. There is another tee shirt idea...wicked tired....don't ask me:hairpulling:
 
Yikes, Kmak, what a scary and in my opinion, misguided thing for OS to say to you! Mine hasn't said anything of the sort....yet. I have 15 days until our next visit though, so who knows what that conversation will be. I so want to be at an *acceptable* bend by that visit, but I'm definitely a turtle. If he mentions MUA, I've already formulated my response. It was easy, 'cuz it's "Not yet."

VW54, wow, congratulations on braving your subway system! That's one heck of a lot of stairs to do and on crutches, no less! Sheesh, no wonder things are feeling a bit "achy-breaky" and swollen, eh? Just bond to your sofa for a few days like I am today. It's really very easy, no instructions required, no guilt allowed. Be good to yourself, ok?

Gertie, please report back ASAP with your walking gaze, lol.
 
Oh Becky, what an apt description for the first several weeks of recovery! Unfortunately, it's just not as funny as the movie; aarggh! I so wish you could say you had overdone something, because it would make it all much more acceptable. Those free-floating, random ouch days that can't be connected to any activity or even the weather are just the pits! Several in a row typically had me contemplating the merits of a personalized, chain-saw amputation, especially when the scar decided to act up along with the knee; ugh! Has your vertigo improved at all?
 
I tried the backwards steps leaving work today (there's barely any steps at home). Could not feel much stretch - maybe I have advanced beyond this stage - what a concept! I did find it much easier than going down forwards which was a little painful today. If my work colleagues didn't already think I was nutty they will now. Whatever it takes ....
 
@kmak81230 Do whatever it takes to do what you need to do. If your coworkers think you are nutty so be it. I'm sure mine thought that long before my TKR! Thank goodness I am retired and my family already knows what I am like! Makes life easier lol!
 
My Surgeons PA was all about the "push hard at PT" nonsense. He was impressed when my bend on lefty and eventually I will tell them I managed to get this awesome bend without pushing anything hard at all.
 
Perhaps our "ouchy" "achy" day today is a conspiracy by Amazon Prime to get us to stay on our couches and participate in their big online sale - instead of shopping til we drop, we dropped before we shopped. Agreed Becky - it does feel like Ground Hog day sometimes. :tiredwheel:
 
This Groundhog just woke from a very long nap!:heehee:

Kmak, if you didn't feel the stretch going stairs backwards, I'd say you've "arrived!"
 
Wait...did I hear sale? What did you buy Kmak?
 
@gertie, if you're noticing steri-strips on the floor, that means you are looking down when you walk!
 
"I've arrived!" Oh how I love the sound of that! I'm going to have my PT put that in my progress report - "walks downstairs backwards with ease." I told him to work on his phraseology before Thursday so that my report would sound glowing, full of amazing anecdotes about my functional improvements (with ROM numbers in very small font should I not crack the triple digit barrier).

Have not bought anything yet - sale goes until Wednesday I think (Christmas in July).
 
Kmak, it does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Is it T-Shirt worthy?

Oh my, Christmas in July? I'll have some, lol.

Your plan for the official report is sterling!
 
Well...wouldn't you know it. I've returned to the over did it club. Knee is quite swollen. Funny, as in strange, not ha ha, how it took it's :censored:time to swell up. 4 hours after being home on the sofa. Stupid knee. Really!
Bed time for me. Gute Nacht!
 
Back
Top Bottom