Dmcfad2
post-grad
- Joined
- Dec 29, 2013
- Messages
- 1,030
- Age
- 74
- Location
- Oceanside, CA
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
8 months post op LTHR update:
My new left hip feels great. I have no more left groin pain and my range of motion continues to improve. I still get an intermittant radiating pain that goes down my lateral thigh when I have been putting full weight on my leg and then lift my foot up. The clicking/clunking in the hip joint that I was experiencing regularly is almost gone just in the last month. I get it occasionally, but nothing like the first 7 months.
I was in Waikiki the first week of November. We were on a Segway tour. A Segway is one of those two wheeled things that you stand on and they move forward and backwards just by shifting your weight. I was doing great, having lots of fun, following our tour guide. Unfortunately, I turned too sharp, hit a curb and down I went. I tried to protect my hip, causing me to land hard on my left arm and left lower leg and foot. My husband, who was behind me, tried not to hit me and jumped off his Segway. He stopped but the Segway kept going, and continuously tried to run over my now battered body! Then, our tour guide, who was all off 25 years old, kind of freaked out and said "I know CPR!", pulling a tiny little first aid kit out of his bag. It was really quite comical. To make a long story short, my hip and I survived. But, I ended up with a huge bruise on my lower leg, a bloody knee and a sprained foot. I am still limping around 2 weeks later, but I'm slowly getting better. It was a bit of a setback.
Another thing I am dealing with is a horrible stabbing pain in the heel of my right foot with every step I take. This developed about two months ago, but has really been bad this last week. I am seeing my GP about it tomorrow. I also am experiencing alot of right groin pain. Between my right heel and groin pain and my left sprained foot, I am having alot of trouble walking. So, although my new hip is doing great, these other things are making it hard to walk and are not allowing me to feel the full benefit of my new hip.
I have a follow-up with my OS next month for my 9 month check-up. I am having him re-evaluate my right hip to see how much it has deteriorated. I really don't want another surgery and I'm going to try to put it off as long as I can.
All in all, I am still questioning my decision to have had this surgery. Would I be having all of these problems if I had decided to not have it? I will never know the answer to that question. I can't work out like I did before surgery because it hurts too much. I've gained about 10 pounds and I'm having to take Tylenol or Motrin for pain on a regular basis, whereas it was intermittant before surgery, just on my "bad" days. I still have hope that I will get better in time. I do see very slow improvement when I look back. I am keeping my hopes up!
My new left hip feels great. I have no more left groin pain and my range of motion continues to improve. I still get an intermittant radiating pain that goes down my lateral thigh when I have been putting full weight on my leg and then lift my foot up. The clicking/clunking in the hip joint that I was experiencing regularly is almost gone just in the last month. I get it occasionally, but nothing like the first 7 months.
I was in Waikiki the first week of November. We were on a Segway tour. A Segway is one of those two wheeled things that you stand on and they move forward and backwards just by shifting your weight. I was doing great, having lots of fun, following our tour guide. Unfortunately, I turned too sharp, hit a curb and down I went. I tried to protect my hip, causing me to land hard on my left arm and left lower leg and foot. My husband, who was behind me, tried not to hit me and jumped off his Segway. He stopped but the Segway kept going, and continuously tried to run over my now battered body! Then, our tour guide, who was all off 25 years old, kind of freaked out and said "I know CPR!", pulling a tiny little first aid kit out of his bag. It was really quite comical. To make a long story short, my hip and I survived. But, I ended up with a huge bruise on my lower leg, a bloody knee and a sprained foot. I am still limping around 2 weeks later, but I'm slowly getting better. It was a bit of a setback.
Another thing I am dealing with is a horrible stabbing pain in the heel of my right foot with every step I take. This developed about two months ago, but has really been bad this last week. I am seeing my GP about it tomorrow. I also am experiencing alot of right groin pain. Between my right heel and groin pain and my left sprained foot, I am having alot of trouble walking. So, although my new hip is doing great, these other things are making it hard to walk and are not allowing me to feel the full benefit of my new hip.
I have a follow-up with my OS next month for my 9 month check-up. I am having him re-evaluate my right hip to see how much it has deteriorated. I really don't want another surgery and I'm going to try to put it off as long as I can.
All in all, I am still questioning my decision to have had this surgery. Would I be having all of these problems if I had decided to not have it? I will never know the answer to that question. I can't work out like I did before surgery because it hurts too much. I've gained about 10 pounds and I'm having to take Tylenol or Motrin for pain on a regular basis, whereas it was intermittant before surgery, just on my "bad" days. I still have hope that I will get better in time. I do see very slow improvement when I look back. I am keeping my hopes up!


I share your 


